Garmin ???

I've been running for 12 months now and feel Ime in for the long haul. I'd simply like to know the distance I cover when running without the tedious task of driving the route sometime later. Having read a few previous post the Garmin seems to be the  leader in the market. I am looking to spend as little as possible maximum of £200. Technology moving the way it does can anyone recommend a product.

Comments

• Hi Mike,

I've been thinking about the same thing  recently. I was wondering though, if i buy a Garmin in the UK will it work on all other continents? Particularly the Americas?

Anyways, you can get a 205 on amazon from £96.50 or a 305, which I believe is the same as the 205 but with a heart rate monitor as well for £104.99.

• 305 is about £100 at amazon - its brilliant
  • HI Mike,

I have a Garmin Forerunner 110...it's really good, and I got it without the heart rate monitor for £150 (grey colour version) from this website: http://www.lansonrunning.com/gadgets/speed-and-distance-watches/garmin/forerunner-110.aspx

Free delivery too image You can upload your runs on Garmin Connect. Not had any problems with it.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    I have the 310xt. Love it, but it is pricey. Value for money wise, the 305 is best.  It has all the essential features and more. Extras on the better models are nice but not necessary. Having HR is really useful, even if you don't use it all the time.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I have the 405 - smaller and more "watch" looking than the 205 or 305.

It works fine in Europe, although it can take a bit longer to find the satellites.  It seems to confuse it when you move it a long way from where it was last used!

• I have a 305 and if you are only running outside then its great..but it doesnt work inside really. I like to count calories too and as this is done by distance and cadence unless your gps signal is detected it wont pick up calories

And battery needs charging quite often (i find)

FAO : CRAZYTOWN

As you have one..just wondered if yours measures your heart rate corectly cause im sure mine doesnt...it shows resting hr as about 70...but in never goes above 90bpm...which cant be right as i am not superfit and i know on gym machines by bpm get to about 140?????????

• I've tried the 405 and the 305, both of which I have borrowed off of friends.

The 405 did everything that the 305 does but has added features like it's smaller, touch sensitive on the screen, ANT+ technology and is a fair bit smaller.

I personally have gone for the 305 with the heart rate monitor as it's about £100 on Amazon and whilst the differences between the 2 models are great, I don't think they make enough of a difference for me personally.
  •  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

I have 205. And appreciate the bigger size, screen & data fields. I don't notice size of body when running.

And having had one, would be totally lost without knowing time, distance, pace etc etc.
    And full analsyis, splits, elevation, google earth, RW route, Fetch etc etc downloads

I use it WW without problem. 'Bit longer' means 2 or 3 mins worst case, instead of 15 secs at home.

Probably my most important bit of kit, after shoes.

• I have a 205 and love it. I've bought a couple as presents and they've been very well received. With amazon selling them for under £100, they are an utter bargain.
  • I dont use the HRM but whenever i have done it worked fine. 90bpm doesnt sound right though.

I never wear mine indoors and battery is fine. Maybe needs charging once a week. When the battery is really low it warns you on screen, it stops providing you with live updates but still records all the data.

Most of the time i just have it set on autolap. Then on the screen i can see overal pace, lap (1 mile) pace and distance covered. If you travel large distances can take a while to find the satellite but usually just 20 seconds or so.

The software on pc won't win any awards but lets you monitor your runs/progress and can easily see if you set off to fast etc

Id prefer it to be smaller and more watchlike but it weighs very little.

£100 is an absolute bargain!

• yeah i gotta say the screen is big. Last night i ran for 56 mins (on my friends watch) but mine had stopped at 28mins which was annoying...had i knocked the stop button by accident.

No idea whats going on with my hrm. To be honest i bought it to leep track of my speed...im slow and i know im slow but least now i can monitor it and see if my average speed incerases over time...i love it when it works and doest let me down

• I've got a 205 and would really recommend it if you're not interested in heart rate monitoring - as a couple of people have already mentioned, as it's the older model you can pick them up for less than £100 now. I love mine - it's one of the best things I've ever bought!

Oh, and although it looks pretty big and bulky, it's pretty lightweight and I've never actually noticed I'm wearing it when I'm running - and I like the big display because it means you can have lots of data on there and still be able to read it easily when you're running.

• Blimey, Some sound advice so quickly thanks. The 205 seems to be the frontrunner at the moment. How is this for accuracy? I'me a bit of a technophobe so Is it simple to use?

• 305 is great (although takes a good few mins to find satellites before you set off) and at £100 from Amazon is not a bad deal.  You just turn it on and press start!
  • I have the 405CX and love it! I use it every run and analyse all my runs - or at least take some gratification in my hard work. The only downside is that you have to charge it quite regularly. It's also good to see your speed increasing over time and heart rate reducing.

Personally I find the heart rate monitor critical to ensure I don't overdo it, but then I'm still a relative beginner and have only been running since October, but I have used the 405 since the beginning.

They had some for sale on Amazon a few weeks ago for around £180 - a bargain. I spent around £270 on mine.
  • I bought  the 405 when it first came out. Had problems with it but if its your first (gadget) you are going to buy then get a second hand 205, see how you get on and go from there. If you decide to get a 405 you must get the version with the velcro wriststrap as the one like your watch is irritating and comes loose. Happy shoppping.

• I ordered the 305 on Monday. The difference in price to the 205 was less than a fiver, not worth the gamble if I wanted a HRM in the future.