Ear problems from swimming

Anyone have problems with their ears getting blocked from swimming? How long did it take to clear? Did ear plugs sort it out?  This has just started happening to me and is driving me nuts as i've got one ear that feels blocked. Also just had a bad cough virus thing and the blocked feeling got worse and hasn't gone away yet! Its not as bad as it was but the blocked feeling is still there and i feel a little bit deafer in that earimage

Comments

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Get your ears looked at by your practice nurse to see if syringing is needed, then wear earplugs. The blocked feeling will be worse if you have a cold or catarrh anyway  though.
  • I used to regularly get water trapped in my ears after swimming. Go to somewhere like Boots and get some stuff called Swim Ear which clears any trapped water out. You just put a few drops in your ear and it dries the water out of your ear.
  • go see the nurse...get em cleaned oiut...i've had problems all my life with this. i wear ear plugs for swimming pool or OW now. they will keep it clean. it will just be some wax trapped....nothing to worry about and totally painless to have them cleared out
  • I used to have problems with my ears from swimming but bought some of those plastic swimming ear plugs from Boots. They were only about £2 and are fantastic.
  • Cheers guys.

I saw the nurse and she didn't say anything about neededing em cleaned out.. just said 'nothing we can do, just have to wait for it to clear'. I've been taking Sudafed and its is gradually getting better but not sure if thats the Sudafed or just time and the virus and sludge clearing out. Eear does still feel a bit blocked so am going back to doc next week and will ask about getting the ear cleaned out. I think they don't like to do that too much these days as my boyfriend had problems with his ears getting blocked and going deaf and he saw the doc a few times who said he didn't want to syringe his ears then on holiday he went really deaf after going in the pool so i took him to the local village doc who took one look in his ears and said 'totally blocked!' and she squirted some water in them and my God, the size of the was plug of wax that came out! Was huge!image His hearing was perfect after that and he had a problem again. How the docs missed that i don't know so i guess its possible they have missed it in mine.

Once i get this sorted, i will definitely be wearing earplugs in the pool and OW.

• SHE SAID her EARS are BLOCKED!

EARS!

Totally BLOCKED!
  • I suffered big time when first started swimming. Get your ears syringed once then get yourself Zoggs ear plugs & a small bottle of olive oil. When get future probs tip a bit in your ear and keep your head tipped to one side and massage your ear from under earlobe. Trial and error. Worked for me.

• Decent wax plugs also help to retain your balance when you get out of OW and its a bit nippy.

Norty Smiffy!image