Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Razor don't be greedy image

Sorry well done on 32 MILES imageimage you little Devil lol image
  • ST - Great Swimming! image

Am panicking even more tonight cos i've just had through the race instructions for the duathlon next month. The runs are forest trails and I haven't done any since the autumn! I do love trail running and have a fantastic route not far from home. But I run best in the evening and obviously can't do it in the dark. Am going to have to find some daylight running time this month and get up there to practice. image

• Chilli don't worry to much about the trail runs even though they are different to road running, miles in your legs are still good whether from road or trail. If you do manage to free up some daytime then great but don't get stressed over it image what is your distance race? Plus when is it?
  • My LSR yesterday was great, I went out on an undulating route last mile downhill, did 5 miles in just over the hour, I did the same distance and time but a different route last week, but yesterday managed to run almost all of it, I did walk a little bit up a short sharp hill. The legs and body still remember what to do, slow and steady, feeling great.
    I even got a scare as a faster runner overtook me I was so in my own little world she made me jump, but think its good as was concentrating on how my body was doing and thinking of nothing important.

• Well done SteadyCJ image

I did my brick session this morning, boy it was tough in the wind. I was nearly blown off my bike 5 times very scary imageimage still it's all done now will do a steady 5k run tomorrow. I'm still aching from my swim lol so planning on swimming at some point in the week at local pool image
  • I must dust off my turbo trainer this week - I keep just going running or swimming. Mustn't forget the bike! Due to run with the Tri Club tomorrow night so might do it as a brick and have 30mins on the turbo first. Wish me luck!
  • Hello,

Can i join please? Im new to triathlon too - joined a Tri club end of last year.

Im a swimmer by trade, and have done a couple of half marathons (very slow half marathons!!). At the moment im running once a week with the club (abt 5mile interval set) and swimming twice a week (3000m per session). Im not a very good runner (abt 10min miles) but am improving, However, its the bike that im completely new too - ive got a mountain bike but a road bike is sooo different!! lol!

Im borrowing my friends road bike at the moment but really need to get a training routine in order so im doing all three in one week - i can make excuses not to train for Britain but once im in a routine i can stick to it.

Think my first tri is going to be Cardiff Try-a-Tri in May.....scared!!!! image

• Hi Vicki! Welcome. Great to have you with us. We're doing pretty well at encouraging each other along so you'll do great here.

Steady - sounds a lovely run

Gingergav - good luck!

ST - I'm doing a duathlon on 5th March. 5k,21k,5k. I know a run, bike, run should be easy, but i'm fretting about all sorts of stuff! Including whether I will be able to sleep the night before! And it is going to two muddy trail runs. I know the first run will be simple and I reckon I won't do too bad with the bike, but am worried that I won't have much left for the second run. Nah! what am i saying! I KNOW i can run the 10k, I'm just fretting! But last week when i came to a complete stop when feeling so ill was a bit scary.

Despite the wind being as bad as yesterday I managed a short 5 mile ride at lunch time. Then the wind had dropped this evening when I did the same 5 miles as a run.

Happy Training tomorrow everyone!

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone! Welcome Vicki - are you a member of Cardiff Tri? I'm going along to a session later this month (Tuesday evenings are generally a bit difficult for me at the mo.) and have encouraged lots of people I work with to do the Try a Tri. It's a lovely event and I'm hoping by that point I will be a member of the club and possibly marshalling. How exciting to have a local on board!!!

So last week was quite pleasing. 20 miles on the bike, 2 miles swimming and 4 runs, totaling 18 miles. I am still missing the elusive long run, but that's because I end up doing mixed sessions at the weekend or long rides. I'm quite pleased though because after the bike-parkrun-bike on Saturday I wasn't sure if I'd have much to give on Sunday but I decided to run to the gym (which is normally about 5 miles) and added an extra little loop on and it didn't take very long at all so I'm doubting that it was 5 miles now. More like 4.5 but I suppose it's all good miles. I felt good after it too, so hopefully my fitness is at a level where I can push a bit more out.
    But I rested yesterday to make sure I didn't push too far!

Today is cycling to work and back - 10 miles each way. A bit annoying though because we are having some work done on our house and last night the bloke says "I'll come round in the morning" when we weren't planning on being here. I doubt he'll come back for the rest of the week and he missed out on a few good days last week when husband was around. GR!!! So frustrating.

Anyway, yes, a cycle. Tomorrow I may try for that 8 mile run (after a job interview first thing...) and may skip circuits just because it doesn't really fit this week. I'm in a bit of a tizz with my training this week - hopefully it will all work itself out in the end!

Enjoy the day today people - should be a nice one.
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

And some lunch time comments....

Yersinia - nice starting point on the Parkrun I reckon. Targetting a sub-30 time will be a good goal. You doing it again this week as part of your run focussed week, or just getting the miles in?

Chili - don't stress! It's all very do-able! And well done to your big girl! Did I mention the boy in the Cardiff race? He can't have been more than 10, if that, but I was slowly catching him and every time he noticed, he got a spurt of speed and took off. I felt bad because I eventually over took him and I heard him stop for a couple of seconds. But then he started again image

ST - I grew up in Loughborough and had a random cycling stage when I was about 16 and used to cycle to East Leake. I have toyed with doing the East Leake Tri actually but got distracted with other things. When is it? Well done on the swimming too.

GG - Am interested in your turbo experiences. Do you have to take wheels off? Do they scratch the floor? do your gears work on them? What kind of session do you do on it?

Steady - I often jump out of my skin when people pop up alongside me! I get particularly frustrated when it's cyclists though who don't ding their bells. I'm sure once I was grumbled at because i was running around on a trail avoiding horse manure and a bike zoomed past without dinging. He muttered something so I muttered "USE YOUR BELL!" (in as far as muttering can be relayed in capital letters...!). Especially when they are fast, you don't necessarily hear them coming. Of course and triathletes we all know better than that, don't we...???

Oh - can't believe that zebra crossing incident either! Terrible!!! I would have bashed the car with my fist as it went past (I say this, but I hate confrontation so I would have probably just stared at the car as it zoomed off into the distance...!). There ar SO many idiots out there. What are we to do?!?

Had a lovely bike ride in. 43 minutes and I'm hoping to be no longer than 50mins back. I made sure to work hard since yesterday was rest day.

Oh - I have a question though. I ride a hybrid. I don't want to invest in a road bike at the moment as I have no money. Are others using road bikes, and will I look silly on my hybrid riding around whilst others zoom past me on the miniscule hyper light and thin road bikes? I'm a bit scared of getting on something that looks so fragile to be honest....

• Hi JEvans,

No not a member of Cardiff Tri but Celtic Tri.

I did have one question - are people following a schedule or just training however you fancy? Im a fan of schedules and plans and wouldnt mind following one, any recommendations?

• JEvans - Do not worry,I ride a hybrid, at some point I plan getting some clip on tri bars, but as yet have to get back on it. I took part in  a duathlon last year with plenty of others with flash bikes whooshing past, no one really notices, just make sure it is not a granny bike with wicker basket at the front.

Due to my injury the static bike in the garage is the only thing I can ride at present, unable to grip/flex properly with hand so can't drive my car either.

This morning went along for rehab swim, did a bit more than last week. Getting frustrated at the slow progess.

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Vivki - not sure what people are doing. I'm making it up as I go along, but making weekly/monthly/quarterly targets to boost my confidence and make sure there is progress in each discipline.

Based on positive comments on this forum I'm planning on launching a "Power of 4" dvd boxset where each week you focus on a discpline (upping the distance, or just making sure you get the all important session in) to help manage life around training (I often find that if I don't have a focus, I drift and as such I haven't progressed in running as much as I would like). Then in the fourth week you step back (this wasn't part of my original structure, but it was recommended, and I got ill, so it worked well!).

But if you want a proper plan I'm not sure what to suggest, sorry. The magazine seems to have a lot of training programmes in every month so there is probably something on the site. They seem to structure training in the order of the race so one day you swim, the next day you cycle and the third day you run. Though I don't think this has to be followed.

• Welcome Vicki - I am doing a novice super sprint tri its similar to a try a tri in  the middle of May. As JEvans says plenty of plans out there, find a beginners one and feel free to adapt it to suit your life and how much you can train.
    I am curently doing 2 cycles and 2 runs a week, with my Sunday run being 5 miles, Wed about 3. I also work on 3 hard weeks, one easy, then upping distance or speed. No proper swimming at present, due to wrist injury, but once cleared to swim will go at least once a week if not twice, at the mo I can do a little rehab swimmy thing, mainly backstroke sculling with the arms or using a kickboard and generally floundering around. I am looking forward to proper swimming.

You are lucky to be coming from a swimming background as that is where most people are weaker.

• JEvaNs, East Leek is end of March 400m pool swim 23k bike 5k run image I'm defiantly doing it if I can get my swimming sorted.

Hi Vikki and welcome to the Chilli House imageimage did you see what I did image Chilli House image anyway I don't follow any plan cause I'm no good I start well then start missing things due to kids wife or work image so I try to do 1 steady run 3/5 miles 1LSR 9/14 miles 2 bike 15/20 miles 1 brick bike 10/15 run 2/4 miles and 1 swim with Tri club but hoping to fit in another at local pool.

• SteadyJC now you've mentioned it I'm gonna take my wicker basket of the front of my bike image were will I put my picnic when cycling now? imageimage
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    ST - funny you should mention chili house - I've just got home after the painters have been round. They have been glossing the windows out the front and left the windows open for the paint to dry. Chilly house indeed!

Won't be doing East Leake then - I have a 10k and half mara the last two weeks of March

Aw Steady - I doubt your your rehab swimming involves much floundering!!image

Just pegged it home on my bike. I got to work in 43 mins and hoped to get home in 50 (there is much more up hill on the way home!). Made it in 45! Very happy!
  • Hi Vicki - welcome - hopefully nowt but good honest tips to be found here from those of us who have made the mistakes for you!!! Mostly me!!! I was a complete spanner in my first events, and not much has changed!!!

Hey JEvaNs - turbo training is hard work but good when weather is poor. I have a Tacx 1800 turbo (bought on recommendations from a forum, from Ironman mate, and feedback on Chain Reaction Cycles) and it works well - it has a handlebar mounted resistance adjuster, and I can use the gears too. I have it in my conservatory (on a lino floor), and have a front wheel riser to go with it so the bike stays flat when the back wheel is raised on the roller. I use my normal back wheel with its normal spindle in place and it works fine, although it is wearing my back tyre down quite quickly. It came "flat pack" and took a bit of setting up, but even someone as crap at DIY and fearful of anything from Ikea as me managed it OK! I also got a TV with built-in DVD player on ebay, and park my bike in front of it - distracts from the pain, and allows me to watch a couple of training DVD's i've got!

The training I do on it includes a 10min warm up first - quick 90-100rpm spin on res 1, gear about 5th - easy, no force, just loosening up. I then do one of the following, then a 10  min cool down again res 1, 5th gear, no force.

Pyramid - (one gear) 5 mins res 2, 1min res 1, 5 mins res 4, 1 min res 1, 5 mins res 6, 1 min res 1, 5 mins res 4, 1 min res 1, 5 mins res 2, 1  min res 1 (or whatever you fancy!) Ouch.

Follow a training DVD - i've got a great one of rides in California where you follow a group on a ride - the DVD gives you speed, rpm, gear, res levels and has rides from 40mins to 150mins. Brill!

Basic TT - after warm up - big gear (top ring, 5th/6th on back) for 25 mins (equalish to a 10 mile TT for me) and constant rpm. Go longer for eg 1hr for a 25mile TT, or 2hrs for a 50mile (not for me!!)

Easy spin - an hour or so of mixed resistances, gears, the odd sprint, as I fancy (it is stable enough to stand up and sprint on the pedals)

It can get very sweaty so I keep a towel over my front wheel and a big drink to hand. Get a telly/DVD player and stick a film on to avoid boredom! I watched The Life of Brian end to end on one ride!

• www.4lifeeventsuk.co.uk 27th March Sunday
  • Evenin everyone!

ST - very goodimage. Just wish my littlest Chilibean would sleep! Sleep, that most elusive of elements. She turns 4 next week and my hubby and I have had a long talk with her today about the need to stay in her own bed all night and stop waking us up. So I'm a rather tired and grumpy Chilibean.

Jevans  - I have a hybrid which I bought at the beginning of January especially for training and racing. I'm not planning on doing great speeds and wanted a bike that would be comfortable (cos I like to enjoy things) and I could also use on cycle paths and with my girlies. I didn't feel that my 3 speed road bike with the wicker basket and toddler seat on the back was quite suitable.

Vicki - I looked up several different training plans but most were far to complicated for me. I'm a bit thick and need simplicity. And like ST - I have a young family so also needed something I felt was flexible, otherwise I would get stressed when i couldn't do it. So my plan is

run 3 times per week

bike 3 times per week

swim 1 times per week

At least 1 brick session per week.

Running is my strongest, but my swimming is pretty good too. My weakest is bike. I have a duathlon at the beginning of March, a sprint tri in May and an Oly length in July.  I actually feel I could do my sprint tri now, but I know that stepping up to the Oly is going to be a challenge and will add another swim session per week.

Anyway, today I had planned to bike to the pool and back and then a few miles run this eve. But based on lack of sleep, work and life in general getting in the way, I have only managed a swim of 50 lengths - which I think is probably the furthest I've ever swum (my boredom threshold isn't very high image)

Following on from a discussion about fueling a tri -  having tried a few different drinks I like the blue powerade. It is also on offer at the moment at Tesco so fits my price range too. I do not particularly like snacking whilst running but on the bike is fine, so I think that will be my pattern at present.

Right - off to put my girls to bed and follow just as soon as I have my work complete.

Chilibean

• Jevans - Won't be doing parkrun this week, as I'm away at my mum's. There is one that is just about feasible to get to from her house, but I doubt I'll do it.

I want to aim for sub-30. I was about that speed last time I ran, in 2008. I've never run much, so I've never improved beyond that point. I knew that at the moment , I'd be slow - I had about 35 minutes in my head, so was happy with 34:07. I thought when I started running again, it might take till the end of Feb to get back to 5K, so it's gone OK, really. No aches and pains, so I'm feeling very positive about itimage.

I ran yesterday in my new shoes, taking in quite a lot of grassy muddy stuff and a bit of gradient, to get a different feel. Felt slightly hard work on the old  ankles, but no ill effects, and the shoes felt good. Today I took advantage of the gorgeous winter sunshine and did a bit of birding and had a cycle ride from Sevenoaks back to SE London. About 45km, and idyllic really - it reminded me why I love cycling so much.

Can't claim to have turned on the speed, but there are quite a few Ups in those Downs!

• Like the sound of the ride, Yersinia - it's been the kind of day I long for at the weekends, weather wise! Never underestimate the effect of hills on your training!

Managed a 30min session on my turbo tonight, followed by our club run - 35 mins for 7km, with some Fartleks in. Hard going! Looking forward to my hard earned pizza now.image

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Yersinia - I wish I could have had that bike ride today! Sounds wonderful!

As it was I had a bit of competition on my ride. I was going along and thought I saw a runner together with a cyclist. As I got closer the cyclist was pulling away from the runner, but I'd already decided to over take (on my pacey ride home!) and overtook probably at a slightly silly time (on approach to a bike gate) but I'd dinged my bell so he knew I was coming.
    So off I went past him and through the gate and onto a short stretch that starts getting hard so I had to push (couldn't bear the thought of being over taken!). Just as I get to the end of the stretch there he is alongside me trying to over take!
    I can hear him clicking away with his gears because it is a stretch that gets tougher. Round a corner, under a bridge and then a short sharp climb that needs a very low gear.
    But I knew this and was prepared and had the motivation of not having someone overtake me back so whilst he was click-clicking, I took the inside on the corner, planned my gear change, hoofed some effort into it and zoom!zoom!zoom! His gear clicking faded into the distance behind me....
  • Not wanting to sound stupid but was is a brick session??

ATM i swim twice a week, run once a week with the club and those are my only regular sessions image

Thinking of biking at the weekend, but im a bit of a fair weather trainer and the rain and wind recently has meant i havent been out on the bike. I dont have a turbo either - where can i get a cheap one from??

Thinking of doing another run session on Tuesday mornings.

Im self employed so i find it hard to plan training (other then the reg ones i do) as the amount of clients i have booked in can vary week to week.

I feel really keen at the moment and really want to get out training!!
  • Vicki - A brick is doing two of the tri disciplines in quick succession.

Maybe if your schedule is erratic you just have to grab your chances - if you get a window of opportunity, go out for a bike ride, doesn't matter if it's quite short to start with - you can lengthen it as daylength and weather improves.

Bear in mind that you will spend more time on the bike than on the run or the swim, so it really is worth making sure you're comfortable on the bike - I just looked at last year's female mean times for the tri I'm doing:

Swim 750m: 17:27

Cycle 20km: 49:40

Run 5km: 25:30

I went out for a gentle run this morning - 4.5km. Got circuits tonight, so I didn't want to overdo it.

• I do just need to pull my finger out, stop making excuses and just DO IT!! lol!

Im away with work from tomorrow until sunday but im going to try and get a couple of runs in between treatment sessions.

Next week, i plan to come on here and tell you of the bike, swim and run sessions ive be able to do image
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Vicki - I am a bit fairweather too and am always watching the weather to plan my day when I cycle to work. I supplement outdoor riding with intervals at the gym or spin classes. It's worth venturing out on a grey day as the ride will brighten up your day!

Yersinia - that's a good idea to look at times like that. Is the bike section hilly? Really impressive run times.

Got myself out for a run but think my enthusiasm on the bike yesterday is evident! Legs felt really heavy and i was going to cut it short but figured I need to practice running on tired legs so did 5.5 miles. Not quite the 8 miles I would have liked but I am planning on running to the gym and back on Saturday so there are more miles to come!!
  • right i'm doing terribly.. have had a bit of a stressful rubbish week here to training has not gone well.. but.. i did get out at lucnhtiem today and did 4.7 miles running.. so happy with that.. will do a bit of turbo tonight and then will be back on track!
  • I think we all have sessions that seem ridiculously hard work for what we achieve, sometimes, and weeks where nothing goes to plan.

I'm a bit confused about the bike times, actually. They seem ever so slow compared to the run and swim times.

It's a 9-lap course in a park that has a few rises, but I wouldn't have thought there were killer hills, and being lapped, you'd expect to make it up on the downhill bits. Maybe the turns are very tight.

I should maybe go and try to cycle the route, but I'm not actually sure whether cycling is permitted on normal days. I could probably at least walk it to get an idea about the terrain.