Ultra-sensitivity to NOISE

Why do some people talk SO LOUDLY?

It is so annoying - and so unnecessary!!!

God alone knows how people get these booming voices.

Do they have mega-phones instead of vocal chords?

I for one, am easily irritated by this.

Not only in the workplace - it's hard to concentrate when there's some moron mouthing off across the office, but at home too - screaming kids next door and constantly yap-yap-yapping dogs. It's an absolute nightmare.

I've actually come to realise that either the entire world is deaf or I have ultra-sensitive hearing... for example, I don't like going to the cinema anymore since I think it's too loud and I regularly have to get my OH to turn down the TV as what's 'normal' for him sounds ear-shattering to me..

Surely I can't be the only one affected by this..

Comments

• I have high sensitivity to things like SMS tones, people tapping their feet, Windows notification sounds, people eating/drinking and so on. I've had it since I was a child. It causes stress, rather than discomfort.

The volume is so high at the cinema to drown the sound of idiots talking and eating popcorn.

I occasionally end up sharing the elevator with a girl who works in a call centre in our building. If I'm lucky she's quiet, and quite easy to look at (rather chavvy, but well-shaped). If I'm unlucky she'll be on her phone. It must be a side effect of working in a call centre, but she is, IMO, shouting in to the phone.
  • *Tiptoes in*

I find the volume on most of my friends' and family members' teles is far too loud and I have to ask them to turn it down if they've got it on when I go round.

My ex used to have his music in the car really loud and we'd be talking.  I used to keep turning it down after shouting (over the volume) "I'm feel like I'm in competition with the stereo."  I love having loud music on in the car (and singing at the top of my voice image) when I'm on my own, but not when there are others in the car.

• I have high sensitivity to things like SMS tones, people tapping their feet, Windows notification sounds, people eating/drinking and so on. I've had it since I was a child. It causes stress, rather than discomfort.

I have this as well - just annoying noises.  My camera beeps when I press buttons or keypad tones.  I have become aware of them and they annoy me when I hear them.

Lemme play a good song in my car and I'll belt it out as loud as my stereo will go

• I have a lady at work who is AWFUL - I have named her "The Pigeon" as a result of her constant noises and carrying disease into work.

She chews loudly, taps, hums, talks to herself...I really could smash her in the face. Thankfully, she moved to the other side of our office else we would have had a blood problem

• Yes, I'm pretty sensitive to noise, especially anything high pitched. MS thinks the sound of kids laughing is wonderful - it gets me grinding my teeth in frustration!
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    since having two young kids i find i am fairly oblivious to noise these days.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    PloddingOn wrote (see)

I have a lady at work who is AWFUL - I have named her "The Pigeon" as a result of her constant noises and carrying disease into work.

hahahaimage

I particulalry hate loud eating noises and sniffing argh! I have to trvale on the train quiote a bit and at this time of year everyone is sniffing and coughingimage I am always turning the tv music down - I am amazed at how loud some people have music on their ipods...I don't like being able to hear that on the train either *grump*

• OMG i am so glad i am not the only one who get mightily peeved with the people that talk so bloody loud!!! i have 2 ladies in the office who try to outdo each other on the phones in the office and also they have got really irritating laughs!!!!

my mother insists on speaking loud on the phone to me unless i whisper because hubby is asleep and then she whispers back which annoys me further as she has no need to whisper

• +1 for everything you've mentioned.

Constant loud noises are fine, in situations where that's what your focus is on - like a gig or the cinema or music in my car when I'm on my own.

But it's intrusive noises that are hugely annoying.

I'll go into my parent's house and their TV is so loud, you can't talk over it.

People talking unnecessarily loudly on the phone - annoying as hell.

And it's not just loud noises - people eating, phones beeping, dripping taps - all fairly quiet, but absolutely do my head in !

I'm working at home today... the dishwasher has been sloshing away quite loudly for the past half hour and it's not bothered me at all, but every 10 minutes or so next door dog (who stays outside during the day) has a yapping fit at the neighbourhood cats and I'm ready to strangle it !

• Slugsta wrote (see)
    Yes, I'm pretty sensitive to noise, especially anything high pitched. MS thinks the sound of kids laughing is wonderful - it gets me grinding my teeth in frustration!
    Oh god yes... Kids laughing... and kid's voices in general... awful !
  • BB ✭✭✭
    noisy kids when I am having my skinny latte coffee shop moment...argh!!!image
  • I wear earplugs in the cinema and can still hear everything. I've never been able to tolerate loud music, even when I was a teenager. Mr Slug has a habit of smacking his lips when he's driving - I swear I'll kill him one day  image
  • If we screamed, we got thumped.  We weren't allowed to scream

I hope I never get attacked because I still don't scream.  I don't even yelp in a high pitched female way.  

I hate it when women think it's cutesey or cool to scream.  Just about as annoying as children screaming.

• We pretty much had a borderline social services case living next door for a while.

The mother would rarely speak to her little girl unless she was shouting at it, the child would have the most Godawful tantrums and the mother would shout at her even more and so it went on.

As far as I could tell the toddler was just trying to be a normal toddler given the constaints of a situation where, whatever she did, she was told to stop doing it and was cooped up indoors most of the time. Clearly the noise and mischief of a small child was disrupting her mother's selfish life.

Thankfuly they moved out after a few months.

As for the answer to yuor queston - I love peace and quiet,  me.

• Yes... I hate it. I had a next door neighbour who would whistle the same tune whilst he was in his garden, day after day... after day. Always the same tempo, always the same trill, always the same four bars.

I was working and moved my office to the front of the house... still could hear him. I shut all the windows in 30 degree heat... still heard him. I played music loudly, but as soon as I turned it off it was still there...

It got so I could hear him even when he wasn't whistling, in the dead of night or whilst I was running... even when I was 2000 miles away on holiday

One day he went missing, just disappeared off the face of the Earth, never left a note or any indication of where he was going to.

But if I go down to the garden shed, and place my ear to the floorboards... I still hear a faint whistle... it seems to be coming from about six foot underground.
  • I almost ran for Mayor of London just so that I could ban the beeping that happens when the doors close on a DLR train.

WHY SO FUCKING LOUD??!?!?!!

*rocks slowly in chair...*

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    I'm fantastically intolerant to noise. Even the noise at home of the cat licking itself winds me up.
    Stop slurping and learn to lick your fur quietly!!!
    I swear it does it on purpose.
  • ha well done D2D you have started a grea thread

boy racers whose cars actually shake when they go down the road as their music is too loud actually no it isnt music its just a loud thumping sound.

why do people have their windows open going along the road its freezing cold and i dont want to listen to the music ur playing as i am happily walking home to my beat