10k training

I would like to follow the 4 week plan (3 running sessions/week) on this site but I already run on average 4 times a week for about 9 to 10 km each session. Will that mean that I'm going backwards as on the plan, the runs cover less in distance. Also, I don't understand what the 'M' means in '2M easy'. Does it mean miles? Also, what does stride means? I only have a heart rate monitor and I'm not too sure of the distance as the route's not marked except for a small part. Is there a correlation between heart rate and speed?

Thanks

Comments

• Tweek the RW plan a bit, Jinsi. They say go for 3 runs a week - you are already doing 4 runs a week. The 'M' in the schedules does mean miles.
    Strides is a way of raising your heart rate by doing short sprints then dropping back down to a jog.
    Try doing the RW schedule, but make your extra run a recovery run of below 70% of your working heart rate on your HRM. that way, you will do the same mileage as now, but should gain more structured training.
    Heart rate and speed can't really be correlated as every one is different - example: my HR at 70% allows me to run at 7.30 pace - your HR may allow you to run faster or slower than that at the same %.

When using a new schedule, i tend to assume a time it takes me for one mile of running and so when the schedule says 'do 2M' i would take my time for one mile and double it. Does that make sense?

• I've just started a 10k schedule too, as preparation for my first race in Jan. Like you, I try to run 4 times a week, and wieght train twice, so I have decided to adapt the schedule to accomodate this. It seems that the biggest worry of novices like me is feeling we have to stick rigidly to the plans. I would love to know what classes as an 'easy' run!
  • Easy run means you can chat with a friend as you go round without gasping for breath. I have a mate who reckons he can sing on an easy run, la la la on a steady run and just about hum for a tempo run. Apparently, speedwork is a grunting sound!
  • Thank you for your responses. I found my max and resting HR last week but I have another question concerning the training plan. When it says fast, does it mean 85% to 95% of my working HR or rather 75% to 85% of it? Sorry but I'm quite new to all these terms.

Thanks again for your help
  • Also is there any disadvantage/brnfit from doing speed sessions on a treadmill?  I love to run outdoors but find it hard to get my distances and laps right/organised.  On a treadmill although I hate it  I can measure it.  Any thoughts?
  • also any tips or hints as to how I can do reps outside without constantly fiddling wiht my watch etc image

• I would say that it doesn't matter if the reps aren't exactly the right length. So long as you're pretty close to the right distance I'm sure that everything will be fine.

As for the watch, I don't know. Sorry.

However, I'm certain that your company would be very welcome on the 10K and half training thread, if you feel like it image

ATMF 

• oh great I will search out the thread later tonight image

• This is the link to the 10K and half thread - it's been a bit quiet recently though, I think. (I haven't been around much myself image.)
  • hi what does everyone think about adding gym and yoga sessions to a 3 run a week programme?
  • FIC - I would suggest doing your reps round a rugby/football pitch. It might get a bit boring but it has it benifits of the grass making it tougher.

Shenz - I would highly recommend adding a yoga/pilaties session into your programme. I would try get to a pilaties class if possible as it will strenghing your core and help flexibility which will help with your running a good bit.

JY - I would say for a 10km plan 3 sessions is enough, I would only do 2/3 sessions a week. I would suggest 1 LSR around 7-8miles, 1 short fast run around 2.5/4miles and an intervil or fartlek session, then if you can maybe a short leg and core workout (but your running will strenghin your legs as you go)