Sunglasses

Yes, I know that it is winter, but can anyone recommend sunglasses suitable for running, as first thing in the morning the sun in in my eyes for a couple of miles and as I wear contact lenses my eyes stream(on the rare days it is not raining). I am a cheapskate so forget Oakleys etc. Also where can I buy them...mail order?

Thanks.

Comments

• Erm, 2nd hand Oakleys ? ;-)

I think Paula wear Nike glasses and they stay in place OK. Didn't RW have a feature on glasses a few months back. Anyone remember what they said ? I think Oakleys got the vote, but they are pricy.
  • I bought my sunglasses from Boots a few years ago. My picture even shows them in action. They only cost about £30 & most people can't belive it when I say were they came from.
    I more than happy with them.
  • Oakley square wire, fire and silver.

http://www.oakley.com/ostore/eyewear/square_wire_2.0_sh/

Fab

But need to take out a second mortgage.
  • Briko cycling glasses are very good.
    £30 ish
  • Sunwise do a good range of budget running/cycling glasses @ around £15. Runners need used to sell them, you will need to check, I have seen them in one of our local shops so they are still around.
  • I got a pair of Cebe Athlon II from Vision3k.com this summer - their range seems huge - and yes they do move around a bit, but if you need a script insert they're not as expensive as glaized oakleys - over £300...
    I suspect they move around more with the optical inserts as they are a bit further from your face, but in comparision to normal glasses, well, there's no comparison. Changable lenses are pretty good, especially if you need glasses anyway and enjoy all sorts of sports. Vision3K were really good as well, I was impressed. No, I don't work for them!
  • I bought a pair of Nike sunglasses about two years ago and I absolutely love them. I tend to wear them even if I am not running, they really stay in place and are very comfortable.
    But unfortunately I cannot tell you the name of the model that I have. It just says NIKE USA (made in china..) on them They were under £50.
  • I second Moe`s sugestion, I brought a pair of sunwise earlier this year and been very impressed with them, they cost me £15.99, from a local sports shop(Tony Price in Devon Somerset area).The Shop assistant wasn`t very genned up on sunglasses for runners.
  • Thats where I saw them! cheers slug, I think I might get another pair with the way the weather is and the sun low in the sky. Your right about Tony Pryce Sports too, I remember when I first decided to go for the marathon, I went in (Yeovil branch) and told them that I wanted a pair of trainers to do the marathon and the lad asked 'how far's that then?' apart from keeping my eye out for the odd sale bargain I dont use them. It's a real shame because if they got thier act together they would pretty well have a monopoly on runners in the area.
  • I wear Briko Lucifer’s – a good aggressive pair of sunglasses and find they sit nice and comfortable without jumping about for both Cycling and running (training and racing)– they also sit slightly off the face allowing them to vent sufficiently

Various lenses are also available for them

Will

• I too am a cheapskate but I wear Oakleys - well fake Oakleys actually. Visit www.zybergear.com and you can buy very good replicas for rock bottom prices, eg M frames with iridium lenses for $25 (UK price for the real thing appx £115), and if you buy 2 or more pairs you get free P&P. This is an American site but I have used them several times without mishap so I have no hesitation in recommending it. Delivery takes about 2 weeks.
    The replicas don't seem to last as long as the real thing, probably made from cheaper materials, but when they are new it is almost impossible to tell original from replica. I can't see how they get away with it.

Martin.
  • If you want good ORIGINALS at a good price – next time you are looking to book a holiday have a look at Cyprus – It strikes me as the spectacle / sunglasses capital of Europe – all originals and designer makes are at least half the prise you pay over here – Prescription or otherwise
  • I'm on my second pair of Nike VR6 and they are geniunely the best for not steaming up, I tried Oakley's but no use. Try duty free shop in Terminal 1 if you travel. At least £20 off list price.
  • Martin - only thing about fake Oakleys is the quality of the lenses - do they stop all the rays they are meant to, and are they shatterproof ?

I have bought some fakes before, but did worry about using them in strong sunlight so coughed up for the real ones.

They do look the part though.
  • Why the hell would anyone want fake Oakleys? Indeed why would anyone want fake anything? Oakley, for most of their models, use cheapo plastic frames but superb lenses while the fakes have even cheaper frames but crap lenses. Has anyone considered the damage fakes do to eyes.

What sort of statement is someone making who wears fake Oakleys? A fashion statement? I want people to think I'm affluent and trendy enough to wear Oakleys when actually I can't afford them. Some statement.

And yes even the genuine Oakleys do steam up despite what they tell you in their adverts
  • I'm not sure about the exact level of UV protection offered by the fake Oakleys, they come with a sticker saying "UV protection" but I take that with a pinch of salt and assume that they only offer a very basic level of protection.
    The lenses do offer protection against flying objects and don't shatter - I have an old pair complete with a dent to prove it.
    My main use for them is for cycling when protection from wind & grit is priority 1, especially at this time of year. I certainly don't wear them as a fashion statement, I have found the M frame to be the best for cycling but don't want to pay £115 for them when they don't last any longer than cheaper pairs.
    Martin.
  • Pro M's are the business for cycling. Lenses scratch very easily- but other than that are bomb proof.

One thing about non UV protecting glasses is that they may be dark, so your iris will open more to get more light, but if the lens doesn't filter UV out - you are worse off than having no glasses.

I guess this really isn't an issue though until our summer comes round again.
  • Re: Oakleys
    I've no idea about the merits of originals nor any fakes, but I would think the Consumer Association (Which Magazine) could cover a round up comparison of Fakes Vs Originals in sunglasses & tell us what the UV protection really is. Perhaps the Great British public are toooooo trusting & accept that a label saying "Oh yes, this will keep you safe" will in fact keep you safe!
    Although I have wondered about wearing sunglasses for running, I've not got round to doing anything about it. I am interested in what to buy / not buy, so keep the comments comin'.
    JC.
  • Thanks everyone. That is a good list to go with.
  • Sorry to join this thread late, I just bought some Adidas Gazelles (with prescription inserts - £150 - from a proper opticians) two sets of changeable lenses and they don't move, but did steam up slightly on a cold/wet 5 miler I did. I'll be buying the replacement lenses from sports shops though - lots cheaper for the same thing.

I saw them on the net without inserts about £40 to £50, if you look around some of the specsaver type opticians may do them cheaper if you need inserts.