pet insurance

2»

Comments

• I've seen some horrific things done to pets in the name of love, because there was the insurance to pay for it. Oh wait, they made a whole TV show about it....
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

kittenkat wrote (see)

We were out in the forest the other weekend and came across a family with a chocolate lab, the dog was so fat, it was waddling and wheezing.. and it tried to steal our picnic!

It wasn't an old dog either.

To let a dog get into that shape borders on animal cruetly. Labs are a greedy breed so will never complain about being overfed but the owners need to realise it's not giving them a good quality of life.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)

I guess it works on the same principal as other insurance, it's just like life insurance really. Some animals cost a lot of money.

Like these!

Still seems odd - life insurance is about protecting dependents in the event of the main provider being killed, so the kids don't have to starve, isn't it?

I suppose if you are breeding from your animal then its death would mean lost income, but to me it seems strange to get cash for the loss of your much-loved pet.

I know pedigree dogs can cost silly amounts, but £1500 per puppy is just OTT - you could get a new gas boiler for that! image

• Wilkie wrote (see)
    I know pedigree dogs can cost silly amounts, but £1500 per puppy is just OTT - you could get a new gas boiler for that! image
    If the puppy is anything like my little darling then it comes fitted with its own industrial scale gas generator as standard anyway  image     image     
  • Insurance usually covers the cost of replacing the thing that is insured once it breaks/dies. Hence the cost of a new puppy/cat of the same breed (and therefore same price) as the one you lost.
  • I have three cats and have never insured them as, like Popsider, the cost of the premium far outweighs the odd visit to the vet to get things sorted out.

Most I have paid in one bill was £250 to have one of my cat's lymph nodes removed and tested when there was a lump. Turned out to be Hodgkin's Lymphoma and she has been fine for the two years since but now she has two lumps and is loosing weight but at 17 I would not consider any more tests or surgery to remove the lumps, I will let her enjoy her last months without enduring that. It's the right thing for her and for me financially.

From talking to other people the cost of vets bills for dogs always seem higher than cats though and my bills never seemed much but then I used to take my cats to a rural practice that was more focused on farm animals

• Personally I wouldn't want any money if my cat dies.....they are not replaceable. Ok, I confess they are my fur babies image
  • UltraCas wrote (see)

From talking to other people the cost of vets bills for dogs always seem higher than cats though and my bills never seemed much but then I used to take my cats to a rural practice that was more focused on farm animals

One reason I didn't get a big dog was the cost of vets bills - all the medicine dosage is worked out on weight of the animal so stuff like antiobiotics for a 100lb plus dog must be extremely expensive.   God knows what it costs if you own a horse.  
  • Hmm I guess that is why cats are cheaper than most dogs then!