Talkback: ASICS Super Six First Training Day: Gallery

Why are the runners running with hand held water bottles? for a short run you shouldnt need a drink and for a longer run I could think of a better hydration strategy, or is it Asics dont make hydration belts or camel backs.

Comments

• On a long run I normally have water every 3 miles and do use a Camelbak (either with the bladder or to carry a bottle as I don't get on with belts).  On this occasion there were drinks back at the track at about 4 and 9 miles but personally I preferred to carry a bit of my own to keep things the same.  Yes, it is an Asics 'donut' bottle that we were given.  I'd never tried one before as I was reluctant to shell out on something I might not use but I'm now converted and have been using it on my mid-week long runs of up to 10 miles.
  • Look at that, I asked a cynical question and got a serious answer.

Seriously though most of you look like you''re total beginners and not actually being coached by supposed proffesional trainers. Most people in the pictures are wrapped up in so many layers of clothing you would be very hot on a long run, where jackets really neccesary given that your where looping back anyway?

• its called ASICS super six so its hardly surprising the pics look like an asics advert.

maybe one of the coaches could have told the sub 5hour runner to zip up his jacket or take it off. must be annoying to run with it flapping about....
  • Yes, obviously we were asked to bring the kit that we have been given as part of the prize.  We have done rather well in that department so it would be churlish not to try it out.  My daughter asked me to fund a school trip this week using the rationale that I wouldn't need to buy any new kit for ages! (If you look at the video you may spot my rogue leggings in the afternoon)

There's all sorts of things that people are happy to wear/do while running that would drive me mad.  Jangling change or keys is my particular irritant.

I'm not sure what you mean by looking like beginners.  Round my neck of the woods they tend to wear flared gym trousers and fleecy hoodies.  We were doing a long slow run on a chilly January morning so dressed according to what was comfortable for us.  In a race I would have been in shorts and vest but in this case I had short sleeves under my jacket, other people had long ones.  I'm not sure how the looping back makes layers unecessary although obviously we could have ditched the jackets after a loop if we wished.  I was having a blessedly non-hormonal day so didn't overheat!

• paulj48 wrote (see)

Look at that, I asked a cynical question and got a serious answer.

Seriously though most of you look like you''re total beginners and not actually being coached by supposed proffesional trainers. Most people in the pictures are wrapped up in so many layers of clothing you would be very hot on a long run, where jackets really neccesary given that your where looping back anyway?

Bit of the old "pot, kettle, black" there I'd have thought judging by your own clothing in your own avatar.
  • I occasionally run in a jacket.it doesn't stay on for long...............but before it comes off I usually undo it for a bit to start cooling down...............never annoyed me with the flapping and I have worn it tied around my waist for over 24 miles on a long runimage

of couse asics will have their minute of advertisment......any company would....image

• Jeepers wrote (see)
    Bit of the old "pot, kettle, black" there I'd have thought judging by your own clothing in your own avatar.

Base layer for sweat and a running vest with race number and compression tights in an autum trail half up on the moors, hardly excessive or would you dissagree?

• My point precisely.

We can't tell the conditions from your photograph, nor why you chose to wear what you did.  There are some on this forum who would say that that's excessive - there have been those who have posted about wearing shorts and t-shirts in the snow, so in their book, your clothing might be excessive.

You can't tell from the photographs what the conditions were like when the SS were out training. 

So how can you make a judgement that what they're wearing is excessive?  Nor that what they're wearing implies that they're total beginners.  Don't think that the sub-3 guy looks like a total beginner.

Does it really matter to you what they look like?

• Obviously it matters to some people Jeepers image

At the risk of being accused of advertising I'm finding the jacket just right worn over a short sleeve shirt at the moment.  Doing hill reps last night I did a Seren and unzipped it a bit when hot but needed it for the run back home in the cold.

Edited for spelling image

• Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)

Obviously it matters to some people Jeepers image

Well in that case, I'll just do my next run in me birthday suit.imageimage 
  • Paulj48 - looks like you are wearing a bullet proof vest - you frightened of getting some flak?
  • Whats all this about..... paulj48... undercover fashion police ??

Our bodies adapt in different ways to the temperatures. Some of us are quite slim, and don't carry alot of weight / fat, so we tend to feel colder, others have more body fat which keeps them more insulated.

I find that in winter I need more layers on to keep warm EVEN on a long run. In fact anyone who regularly does long runs (and I mean 15 miles plus) knows that as your body begins to tire you can start to feel cold, even though you may still be sweating.... and that applies not only in winter but also to running in warmer conditions.

I took part on that training day and It was cold, so I dressed accordingly, and in what was comfortable TO ME.... sorry if you didn't like what people were wearing but I for one wont be wearing a vest and shorts until March at the earliest !!

haha, quite a touchy subject image

i guess everyones different. im slimmer than every super sixer runner and i run all my runs (inc 22mile long run) in shirt/shorts all year round - even the snow image

however, if asics send me a bunch of clothes ill be happy to go out in the full range image

• We are all different in our needs when we are running.On my weekend training runs up to14miles = 2hs 14 mins average. I do not take any water ,gels etc in the cold weather, like yesterday.I always run in shorts with a short sleeved vest,but put on a waterproof top with glooves and a hat.As the weather improves I wear a belt and put in gels,jelly babies,and a small water bottle.As our bodies react differently to the weather conditions,so we must adjust.  

• I always run with a small water bottle, even if I am only out for 40 minutes.  When I do a run over 10 miles I leave a water bottle half way to top up.  If the weather is really hot I pop a hydration tablet in my water.

Am I bad !! 

• Not bad, but why do you carry a bottle on a 40 minute run?  Are you dehydrated beforehand?
  • No, just like to sip water when I run.
  • My best performance to date was in a Mankini, not the most conventional of outfits for a half marathon but it was all I had clean... image