Manchester and sourround parkrun

Hi all,

I'm thinking of doing my first parkrun on Saturday as a nice dash out before the Trafford 10k. I'm close to Manchester and was wondering which ones people would advise? Has anybody done a few of them? Or if you have just done one I'd love to hear what you say about the course. Obviously, it being a lead up to quick 10k I'd like a quick course.

I'm close to:

Bramhall, South Manchester, Heaton park, Woodbank, could even dart to Sheffield as I love it there.

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Yep, done all those.

If you're looking for the fastest go with South Manchester....

• I've heard the Bramhall one is good, but haven't done it myself.
  • I do the Heaton Park parkrun on a Sat, well organised and really good

Its North Manchester tho
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Bramhall is pretty but hilly and crowded so you have to lap people on the outside which is kind of weird full pelt leaning into a pond. Great organisers though.

As PRF says South Manc is best for pbs. Ive never done the full course at Woodbank (just the snow course) but I understand its very hill indeed. 

Dont forget there is also Oldham now as well (which is lovely course, but again hilly) it rarely attracts many runners so might be a good one for a clear run image

• Theres also one in Bolton now, has a big hill in the middle though.
  •  Heard that the main hill you go up at the start at Bramhall has been replaced with stones and pebbles instead of just tarmac?

I do the South Manchester parkrun which is nice and flat so good for a time. Bit muddy in places though!

• With no Heaton parkrun this week, can't decide between donning orange to get a lucazade freebie at the excellent Oldham course (surely must be a record turnout again this week?) or trying out the Pennington Flash course which I've heard is a real cracker in a brilliant setting.

image decisions decisions

PS Does anyone know when Sale parkrun is starting up?  Thought it would  have been here by now but all gone silent.

Any other rumours on the horizon for Manchester as thought the council were backing a few new ones.

• Hello Andrea 

Pennington Flash parkrun is indeed in a lovely setting though it's a tough little run.

Sale water Park would be a great venue for a parkrun

• The Bolton one is a pretty awkward but fun course at Leverhulme Park. It's got about five different surfaces (track, rough tarmac, smooth tarmac, compacted earth and off-road) and as soon as you leave the athletics track you go every which way - up, down, left, right...and even on the "out and back" section there's a slight hill in it which can catch out the unwary runner.

You do have a rather bothersome climb to deal with on the southern loop - twice! The second time is in the last kilometre then you've got a flat but twisty section on smoother then rougher tarmac before sharply turning onto the track.

•  South Manchester is the quickest I would say having done Woodbank & Bramhall as well. Think Heaton Park has only a few small undulations from having trained there.