The Dentdale 14

Apparently, they give you cakes at the end...

Copied this from their web site:

The Dentdale Run is a 14 mile 379 yard road race staged on the lanes around Dentdale, following a figure-of-eight course it winds up hill and down dale, starting and finishing at Dent Primary school.

The race is one of the most scenic road races in the area, and although only 14 miles long, it is regarded as a very tough circuit and many runners use it as a 'warm up' for the London Marathon. The run attracts around 500 participants each year with the top runners receiving prizes ranging from a week in a holiday cottage in Dentdale to beer from Dent Brewery. After race food and refreshments are also provided.

Organised by a local committee and sponsored by Dent Brewery, the Dentdale Run is a charity event with all proceeds going directly to Dent C of E Primary School.

"Very tough".  Hmm... that'll teach me to do my research before entering these things.  Runner's World describes it merely as "undulating".  Gets some good reviews on here though.  Plus, the distance is a novelty factor. 

Shame I'll be driving, so won't get to sample the beer.

Comments

• im in for this one Ian. Its a killer for sure, enjoy the scenery (if you manage to lift your head up that isimage)
  • As the Chairman of the organising committee and having physically run the race over the last 5 years I feel able, first hand, to report on this race. We can promise an undulating and tough course but not too tough for average runners (like me), magnificent scenery, plenty of friendly marshalls, three water stations and first class cakes and sandwiches for all runners at the end provided by Dentdale WI. What we can't promise is blue skies and sunshine but check out the reviews for this race last year on this website.
    Entries accepted on the day so please come along.
  • sounds good Peter, Dumfries running club are using this race as one of their grand prix events so there should be a few of us downimage
  • Oh god.  I have just entered this race and started to regret it!  i can quite comfortably do 10 miles - but maybe I am pushing myself a bit too much image

What does 'it's a killer' actually mean?!!!!!

• 'its a killer' means that if you go off too quick you will be dead by the endimage

• That's ok then, because I always start fairly slow - that's how I do my distance.  I did a 10K in summer and shot off with the general speed of the start - I struggled all the way!   I'll be fine image

• from what ive read Lynne its one of the best races around albeit a bit tough, just enjoy yourself and enjoy the sceneryimage
  • Hi folks, i'll be doing this and it's my first ever race. Only did a bit of general jogging last year (3 miles per week lol). Have been following an 8 week programme since January (3 runs per week) though so hope i'm fit enough for this. In training i've managed an 11.5, 13.4 and did 10.6 mile last thursday night as my last proper training run.

Been told to rest and take it easy this next week to make sure im fully fit and recovered...are the hills really as bad as everyone says? I'm from Durham so most of my training has been been pretty hilly too so i'm hoping that has helped a bit...looking forward to it anyway!

Anyone got any final week prep tips that might help?

• Phil - if you've done 13.4, and trained on hills already that sounds pretty good preparation to me!   

I'm wondering how to pace myself.  My 1/2 M PB is 1.54.  I was hoping for 2.05-2.06 ish here, but I'm starting to think that might be a bit optimistic!  2.15, maybe?  Hills really aren't my strong point, which could make for an interesting experience.

Should I have received a race pack, or do we pick stuff up on the day? 

• I contacted the organiser about this too as i haven't recieved my race number or info yet as apparently it may have been lost in the post. Been told if it doesn't arrive before Saturday then to just turn up at the shool before the race to pick up my new number.

I'm hoping to aim for around 2.20 for this at a push, my 13.4 was in 2.10. I'm also hoping the buzz of being with other runners might carry me on a little bit too...

• Ian,

If you have entered online or recently then you will have to pick up a confirmation sheet and race number at the Primary School before the race.  Earlier entries will have received these by post, no more postal information will be sent out now before the race on Saturday.

Peter

Chairman

• Thanks Peter - I did enter recently, so thought it might just be a case of picking it up - just wanted to be sure.  Do I just need a copy of my confirmation e-mail?

Phil - I reckon you might surprise yourself if you're doing the training run in 2.10.  That said, I haven't seen the hills yet!

• Ian,

Yes that should be fine, just bring along your e mail.  See you on Saturday, here's to a good run!

Peter, Chairman

• I have ran this twice it is very undulating but tough but no killer unless the weather is very bad.imageimage
  • Any advice on what to eat the night before and the morning?  I have been drinking a lot of water to keep hydrated all week!

Thanks

L

• Forecast is for heavy rain tomorrow...what do people run in for a race if the weather's like this?

Do you go for a light waterproof jacket over your vest/top or just a vest/tee and accept getting soaked?

• Go with what you comfortable running in, your going to get wet anyway  but do not overdress as you will get too hot and dehydrate!
  • Just got home after completing this in 2:14! Bloody hell that was a hard run for a first event...enjoyed a great day out, hope everyone else had fun (if you can call it that)
  • just starting to recover from this one, a bit tougher than i remembered. enjoyed the cakes though. for a good cause  renewing the school roof at dent, well done all the marshalls and organisers.image
  • Was tough!  2:18 - not bad for a first time!  Good atmosphere and perfect running weather - not too cold, no wind and I love running in light rain!  image
  •  I think I got at least one photo of every runner

www.athletesinaction.co.uk

• wow i loved it, 89.31 and 17th place, it was just one of them days for me when i could have run forever,well except until the final hill before the finish!image
  • 2:13.  Will definitely be back next year.

Phil - were you the man I talked to briefly about 12 miles?  I said something about the beer all being worth it at the end!

Didn't get a beer, or want one, as it happens.  The coffee and cake were very welcome though!

• And Peter - thank you for putting this on.  I found it hard, but had such a good feeling having finished it.  Think I'd call this "hilly" rather than "undulating" but, actually, that description on this site would have put me off, and I'm glad I wasn't put off, because it was great.

Good race, nice runners (except for one or two rude club types), polite and encouraging stewards and FREE CAKE!  I've kept my number.... going to find my picture now!