Fancy achieving a world record at the London Marathon ?

If you have a place at the London Marathon and fancy the challenge of becoming a World record holder then please contact David Whillans on /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]avid.whillans@lindner-group.com]david.whillans@lindner-group.com. He is managing Team Centipede which is planning to beat the record for the most number of runners completing a marathon tied together. There are currently about 50 members (all ages and experience) of team centipede but we are looking for just a few more team members  to ensure the record.

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I can just imagine the rows: "You're going too fast!"  "No, YOU'RE going too slow!"  And what happens when one person wants to go to the toilet? 

I really can't imagine a worse way to try and cover 26 miles.  Well, except maybe on my hands and knees, but it would be a close thing.

•  Good point, Wilkie! Now, what is the record for pusing a pea around a marathon with one's nose?
  • If you were in the middle you could just wear roller skates and hope no one noticed.
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Also what about those around you!!! OMG I feel seriously sorry for anyone caught up in that!
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I hope they're going to manage to keep in strict single file and not start weaving across the course.

Water stations could be fun!

• They succesfully completed the Silverstone half marathon yesterday. All concerns about toliet stops managed  due to the rubber (ie stretchy ) cord and attachments
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

But, but, but.....  so you have 49 other people all clustered around the door of the toilet, presumably making it hard for other folk to use the toilets either side....?

And what's the point of this exercise?  To raise a load of money for charity?  What's the good cause? (your link doesn't work)

• Good luck Caroline - this lot are just jealous because they didn't think of it !! (maybe ??)
  • ...and once they set the record at 50, next year some group will want to do 75, and then 100.

Might as well go the whole hog and issue elastic straps  with the numbers at the expo and get all 37,000 involved.

Does any sense of 'achievement' come out of something like this?

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Runner888 wrote (see)
    Good luck Caroline - this lot are just jealous because they didn't think of it !! (maybe ??)

Hahahaha. 

*gets up from falling on floor from laughing so much*

Love the fact you had to add a qualifier on the end as well. 

• yes good luck, they are all jealous...not sure why there has to be a point although i'm sure there is one....image good on ya......
  • No probs Curly45 - you should see me run, that'll keep you on the floor laughing! (most likely image.

Seriously though - why shouldn't Caroline and her crazy 49 friends give it a go, they're raising money for charity, attempting a world record and anyone who does anything that would annoy Wilkie is fine by me. no qualifier required)
  • How about raising over £100,000 for SCOPE which supports those with Cerebral Palsy ?....I never realised runners could be so cynical and ungracious........
  • Record Breakers used to be fantastic with Roy Castle. Now its really gone downhill.

Its not meant to be that easy to get a world record - the only hard thing now is thinking up a new catergory to get your record.

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    I think they should really do it as a Conga Line for the whole distance.
    See how many people they can get to join on the tail image
  • well said Caroline and well done on the fundraising image

• Caroline I think runners are as cynical as the next person.

As for ungracious ? Whats gracious about tying 49 people together and inconveniencing plenty of other runners around them ? Try doing that for your weekly shop and see how 'gracious' people are about this.

Now imagine you'd trained for months to get round a marathon only to come across this human caterpillar in your way....

• Caroline - do you have a link to your sponsorship page - I think some of this lot would like to sponsor you as way of an apology. I think they may get a 'sense of achievement' by doing this !
  • Caroline Whillans wrote (see)
    How about raising over £100,000 for SCOPE which supports those with Cerebral Palsy ?....I never realised runners could be so cynical and ungracious........

I think the fact that you have taken 50 places that could have been used by people who were prepared to train hard to do their best might be something to do with it. I genuinely feel sorry for all the people who cant get in through the ballot and dont have access to GFA places etc but keep getting rejected because of all the daft stunts like this one.

And why? To piss about doing something that could equally well be done at the Notting Hill Carnival.

Cynical and ungracious? I dont even understand the point you're getting at there. It is still a running race despite all the attempts to make it something else .........

•  I find it extraordinary that you presume that the team memers are not training hard ?  

I find it extraordinary that you presume that the team memers are not training hard ?  

They may be - but since you cant make the slowest run any faster, theres going to be at least 49 that are sauntering around with no intention from the outset of 'doing their best'.

Do you really expect runners to unanimously pat you on the collective back and say thanks for taking up a whole load of places in a running race to do that?

Why cant you break the centipede world record in some other event that doesnt deprive/inconvenience others in any way?

Why not contact the organisers of next year's Olympic marathon and see if they'll tell 50 athletes to stay at home to let you do it there? image

• If you have 50 people from the race at random - theres no way that they've all trained hard.

I'm sure most have - but not all of them.

What time is the caterpillar aiming for ?

• This will be a complete and utter ball-ache for other runners. This sort of thing should be banned from events as large as the VLM, and such entries should be held back until everyone else has cross the start line at smaller events.
  • I assume that with your elitest views parkrunfan you would ban anyone taking part who didnt complete it within ...what say 4 hours ?
    I assume that with your elitest views parkrunfan you would ban anyone taking part who didnt complete it within ...what say 4 hours ?
     Explain?
  • I think parkrunfan would not allow anyone to enter who couldn't complete it in less than 2 hours and 4 minutes !
  • Runner888 wrote (see)
    I think parkrunfan would not allow anyone to enter who couldn't complete it in less than 2 hours and 4 minutes !
     Why do you say that?
  • i do believe the london marathon is the biggest fund raising running event. so why shouldn't people do it for charities? and if they choose to do it wearing a tutu or tied together i shall give them my full support. i saw them yesterday at silverstone and they didnt get in anyones way, they run on the edge and are actually very supportive. good luck caroline and if you have a fund raising page, let me know.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    What time is the caterpillar aiming for ?
    the front or the back?image