Edinburgh marathoners past and present

Comments

• Evening all. Took a minute off my previous 10k PB yesterday at the Nigel Barge to clock in at 47 mins. Also came close to spewing my guts after the finish line. Cursing myself for taking my foot of the gas around mile 5, but have to say that this sub 8 minute mile lark isnae my thing.

Have managed to gub my ankle/heel/achellies in the process. Feels sore on the heel and either side of the achellies - is this the dreaded achellies heel? HTF not as have the Inverness half next weekend image

• Well done on your PB Markk.  I know what you mean 10ks always hurt more than marathons and ultras. image  PBs don't come along too often so you are as well taking the foot off the gas.  It makes it a lot easier to get another one soon compared to an all out blast.  Do it like Sergei "1cm at a time to get my world record bonus" Bupka and have lots of small PBs for years to come. image

You don't get much sympathy for being hurt when you missed the premier sporting event to hit Scaryhill this year when the mighty dees came to town.  I was looking for you down by the canal near Partick's ground.  I thought the race followed the toepath although that might be the kirkintilloch one instead but didn't see anyone.  I thought they would have cancelled the race again so that everybody could come and see the unbeatables at Firhill. image  Hope it feels better in the morning.  You might have gone over it slightly.  Sometimes after a couple of days things can feel heaps better. 

I loved the Partick manager Ian McColl's complaint following yesterdays game to explain why his team should have won and why he didn't feel any sympathy for our club being deducted 25 points for going into administration. "they go for pre-match meals, which is more than we can afford."  So now our players should give up eating until we come out of administation.  Does anybody have the recipe for gruel before we get our penalty increased again? image

Sorry Neil I don't know of anybody getting rid of a number but if somebody pops in in the next few days as folk do from time to time and I can still find your post I'll give you a wee poke to let you know there is one going.

• Day 3 of not working.  Not lost its novelty yet imageimageimageimageimage
  • Patriots Day is 6 weeks today smiffie imageimageimageimageimage

I'm expecting a finish like this with all the training your now doing. image

• Well maybe not quite as good as that.  Something a bit more impressive than this will do. image

• Still a bit nippy thanks for asking. Physio booked.
  • Hi! image

Just popping my head in the door to see who's here these days!  Why are you not running Can?  What happened to you?

Hope your ankle is ok Markk.

• Hi Jax thought you had gone to the dark side aka Fetch....*limps away from keyboard*
  • Hiya Jac.  Nice to see you to see you nice image

There is nothing physically wrong with me at the moment other than I've been working too hard and am absolutely knackered.  Needed a few days off and a couple of days not working just to get myself sorted out and recharge the batteries.  I was expecting a few days off in January but have ended up working way more than I should have including 23 out of February's 28 days which wasn't a very clever thing to do. image  Having said I wasn't running at all is a bit cruel. I had a wee 16 miler on saturday and have still been running 3 times a week.  Just struggling to make up for lost time in January where a bout of flu followed by chest injury/pleurisy put me back big style.  Struggling to get right for Berlin half in 4 weeks time and the Dusseldort marathon at the start of may.  I doubt this year's running will be much better than the last couple the way I've started.  Bit of a catch 22 can't find enough energy to train hard and cant train hard enough to speed up.  Hoping a couple of days off will help. image  

Have you managed to pass the 3.24 mile mark yet Jac?  image

• Markk just thought I'd share this with you.  Have you ever wondered what you pay your council tax for lol image

• Aw Can, that's nae guid image  Just read back a bit and saw about your migraines too....I hope the rest is doing you good (although how you can say 16 miles is "resting" god only knows)!  I haven't got past 3-ish miles yet!!  Still trying though image

Markk - I didn't go to Fetch!  I have just been tracking my training there.  All my chat these days is on the evil that is Facebook image  How did the physio go?  Hope it helped a bit...

• Hiya again Jacasaurus you are becoming a regular vistitor again it seems image

I hope the rest has done me some good Jac.  I'm really prone to migraines when I'm tired and when I'm dehydrated.  If I'm trying to train and inadvertently dehydrating myself when I'm knackered I'm stuffed.  Then the migraines make you even more tired when you get them and so it goes on.  It was quite nice having a day today at work where I didn't start flagging at 2 o'clock.

I had an odd run tonight.  I thought I was going really quick but my watch didn't seem to agree.  I was barely crossing the ground faster than I did on my long run on Saturday even though I was giving it absolute death out there tonight.  I caught and blasted past the women's jog scotland running club twice at various parts of Carnoustie and thought I must have been absolutely flying.  They must have been going real real slow image  But hey it was another 10k in the bag.  It wasn't great but miles is miles as they say.  You never know I might have a eureka moment sometime in the next 9 weeks.  Hopefully on the sunday of the 9th one image

Are you going to risk the tour of fife again Jac.  Its easy this year its back to only being 5 stages. image  I think I'll pass again and save myself for a cheeky wee 26 miler in September. image

Its only 40 days Smiffie (now that I've typed through the witching hour) imageimageimageimageimage

Nitey nite and sweet dreams everybody (apart from smiffie who won't be able to sleep because she is getting excited about Boston!!!!) image

• OK that last mention seemed a bit mean.  Here is a special wee pressie for you smiffie just incase you cant sleep image image

• Good morning everybody. image

The sun has got its hat on hip hip hip hooray.  Shame I'm working till 8 o'clock tonight and then it will be pitch dark again. image

• The suns hat has just blown off image
  • Oh my - poor sun! image That pesky wind sure can be annoying when it blows your hat off! image

Can, I totally sympathise with the migraine issue - I get them too, and like you it seems to be the same triggers.  I get dehydrated, I get tired, I get a migraine, I get tired.....and the vicious cycle continues image  It is a real (literal) pain.  Glad you seem to be a bit better though, and I hope you do have a belter of a run on the Sunday of the 9th week from now! image

I'm not sure about the ToF. image  I'd love to do it and hopefully by July I'll be a bit fitter and more able for it.  Is it advertised anywhere yet?  I've been looking but haven't seen anything so far.  We have a wedding in Glasgow at the end of July, and I'm thinking that might coincide with, and ultimately preclude me from doing the Tour.  That would make me quite sad, but at the same time, I am looking forward to a bit of a bevvy in Bellahouston Park image

• Hi all.What's been happening?

Had a really good half marathon last weekend at the Bideford Half and managed a PB,so I was well delighted.I also won £30.00 in prize money so big headed Kiwi here !!!!!.

It was just one of those days where you feel great and can really fly.It was encouraging as London is getting closer and I have not had the injury issues of last year.So bring it on!!!!!!

Anyway,any scandal to report !!!!!!!! 

• Hiya Kiwi, Jac and any other random lurkers,

Well done on the PB Kiwi.  Glad you managed to squeeze your big head through the door of wor hoose.  How sickeningly quick was this half you talk about.  I take it when you say that London is getting closer you mean time wise rather than geographically.  Geographically would be quite a major thing and I'm sure it would have got a mention on the news.  If it is moving it wouldn't cause much of a problem for the marathon as i suspect it will slide on mass.  I wouldn't want to run the Brighton to London ultra marathon though.  You set off thinking it is going to be about 50 miles and then find London has now buggered off 80 miles further west to Somerset. image

Migraine's didn't stay away long Jac. imageimage  Doing something other than the tour of fife seems a very good plan Jac.  I can't work out how you can run so little and it can hurt so much.  You are absolutely knackered at the end of the week and then do the sums to find you have ran about half the distance you normally do in marathon training and don't think twice about it. 

Thinking of tours of fife I've got a day out in Glenrothes tomorrow.  Be aftraid if you need a prescription Bungle.....be very afraid. image  I hope the wind dies down.  If it gets any windier I might have to go the tourist route via Perth which I really can't be arsed doing. image

Nitey nite everybody. image

• 1.13 CANIGGIA

If London did move closer we could qalk to the marathon and walk home !!!!!!

can see you haven't lost your sense of humour !!!

• Bonjour everybody, image

I was going to pop in last night but sort of fell asleep on the sofa when I got in from the gym as soon as I'd finished my sausage supper.  Healthy options or what!!!!  Think I'd earned it I'd just done 7.5 miles on the dreadmill in 45:45.

Kiwi well done not only your time but for you fine effort to be up early enough to post on this humble forum at 5:31am.  You are officially this weeks early bird of the week.  Can I recommend Ovex for the worms you now inevitably have. image

Bungle its safe to be ill again.  The weird "foreign" pharmacists have all crossed the river and are safely back in Beanoland. image

Is smiffie still doing laps of silverstone, stuck in a gravel trap or has she ran away with the Stig.  Where Kiwi was flying and running a half in 1:13 Smiffie has been running for nearly six days now.  Maybe she is lighting the candles on her birthday cake. image  Smiffie have you thought of using your birthday cake as a an adventesque calender to count down the days to go to Boston.  You could light one of the candles from day 40 to race day and once its burnt have a bit of cake for the purposes of carb loading. image

Suppose I'd better have a shower and then go and do some work.  Eh cannae be bithered. image

• Hells bells its busy. I'm not supposed to hit running point until about teatime on a friday and have reached there 3 hours early. What the hell is going to happen at 5 when it normally goes nuts image
  • Well done on your half time Kiwi! image

I'm glad you managed not to kill anyone (that we've heard of) off in Glenrothes yesterday Can!  Well done on your 7.5 treadie miles!  Much deserved sausage supper and sleep after that image

I managed a whopping...............1.5K on the treadmill last night!!!!  What in the name is wrong with me these days?  There is no will, and most certainly no enjoyment.  Any form of speed is also a distant memory, not that I was ever a flying machine the likes of which you two are image HELP.....anyone......

• Jac thinking that you are too tired or too bored to run on a treadmill is just a state of mind.  Fortunately I lost my mind quite some time ago.  I recommend you try losing your mind too image 

• Thanks JAC and CANIGGIA.

It was just one of those races where you feel good most of the way round.

Will ovex cure anacondas as well CANIGGIA.Do you take it orally?

• Another late winner to give us 20 games undefeated which is a new club record.  imageimageimageimageimage Up to 6th place inspite of a 25 point penalty and 8 points clear at the top of the league if you don't add the penalty.  Are we allowed another appeal if we get more than 10 points clear as thats what every other club gets for going into administartion.  Can I just recommend being totally skint its brilliant.  The team that held the record had the likes of Alan Gilzean in the ranks.  We are unbeatable.  image  Does anybody think we can get back 17 points in the last 11 games and catch Raith?  How funny would that be if we went up inspite of a 25 point penalty. image

Its been a manky day here but not much snow.  Just cold sleety stuff all day.  I don't envy the folk heading to run the Inverness half tomorrow.  Markk do you want to borrow some tennis racquets to use as snow shoes? image

The gym looks really appealing tomorrow for some reason as I think more of the same is forecast. image

• Still no smiffie.  Can I tempt her back with another video. image

http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/course/video/

Only 37 days to go!!!!!!! imageimageimageimageimage

• Is it wrong to be more excited for smiffie to be running my favouritest ever race in 5 weeks than I am about running the one I'm running in 3 weeks time.   If only the Berlin half was the Boston marathon. image
  • God I wish I had smiffie's race number image