Options

Paris

MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Me & the bf have booked our annual trip to Paris & we're added an extra couple of days so I was after people's input for what to do & see.

It's tradition for us to go to the Eiffel Tower, but apart from that we normally see a few sights & chill out with Desperados. I'm more after Paris' hidden gems this time round.

We're not huge culture vultures so spending all our time in museums wouldn't be our sort of thing. Also my French is somewhat limited so it can't be something which requires you to be fluent in the language!

Also, we can't decide whether to go to the Moulin Rouge. Is it worth it for the money?

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    There's one of those at Bluewater.
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Maybe something a little bit more interesting then shopping...
  • Options
    I know you said you didn't want to do culture stuff, but the Pompidou centre is great to spend half a day mooching around. It wasn't as crowded as the Louvre, and the wee cafe is great for people watching. I always fancied going to Pere lechaise too.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Not really a hidden gem, but a trip to Versaille is a must in my book - fabulous palace, wonderful gardens and usually some exhibitions - last time I was there they had a collection of gold and jewels that was stunning.  There's a little restaurant at the top of the Grand Canal - La Petite Venise - which is pricey (as you would expect) but lovely.

I've always fancied the Catacombs, but every time I've been have run out of time.

A wander around the Ile de la Cite is nice, with Notre Dame well worth a visit.

I love taking the Metro up to Montmartre and wandering around the streets and cafes there - the Sacre Coeur is stunning if you are into buildings.

I've never been to the Moulin Rouge, but I've never heard anyone who has saying they regretted spending the money.

Have fun!

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Actually, it seems not to be there any more.  Sorry!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

The Catacombs is a brilliant idea, definitely our sort of thing. But I just googled it & they might be closed because they got vandelised in 2009.

Am going to look into the other suggestions though.

• Options
    Best thing we did in Paris was to join their city bike scheme thing... We just cycled slowly round all the landmarks and saw so many hidden things by taking lots of little back streets, stopping for ice cream or to explore when we wanted to. The journey became the activity.

You can join for a few days and its really very cheap. You just have to get used to checking your bike before you cycle away as there are often small maintenance issues.
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I did actually look into taking our bikes with us. We've cycled around London several times & think it's a great way to get around a city.

• Options
    k8greene wrote (see)

The Catacombs is a brilliant idea, definitely our sort of thing. But I just googled it & they might be closed because they got vandelised in 2009.

I went about a year ago, and my friend went about 2 months ago. I'd ignore the website.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Another one for the Pompidou Centre

Have you visited any of the cemeteries - they are well worth a visit - a bit of a trek out though.

Monmartre
      Montparnasse
      Pere Lachaise
      Passy

Rue de la Fontaine - has lots of art nouveau buildings if you're into that sort of thing.

• Options

I stayed in Monmartre last year, I wasn't really there for sigtseeing but the one thing I did do was go to the cemetary... so I'd highly recommend that.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Alybea wrote (see)
    k8greene wrote (see)

I went about a year ago, and my friend went about 2 months ago. I'd ignore the website.

I thought I was on the official website but have since found the right one & it looks good.
  • Options
    I'm not a museum person particularly either, but my wife wanted to visit the Rodin Museum, and it was really good. And we managed to avoid the trade union vs police riot that was going on outside at the same time. Result!
  • Options
    Find the Coqotte Jolie for dinner, and Caveau de la Huchette for late-night jazz.

See if you can find the original Statue of Liberty.
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I never realised that there was still a Statue of Liberty in Paris so it'll be great to go & track that down, although it turns out there are two!

All your suggestions are brilliant, lots of stuff I would never have though of. 

• Options

Get on the train and go to Disneyland image

• Options
    @k8greene - in Paris there are four. There are also other design prototypes of the final sculpture given to the US - not all of them are statues, though.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Len 2 wrote (see)

Get on the train and go to Disneyland image

Oh yes, definitely!  (We went there for hubby's 40th, and would have gone for mine, but I was pregnant)

Another good way to see stuff you might not otherwise is to play Metro Roulette.  Pick a station that sounds nice, and just get off and have a wander around.  Great if you get the Paris Visite ticket that covers the Metro, buses and trains.  If you get the Zone 1-6 version, it covers all the way out to Versaille and Eurodisney.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I did put the Disneyland across, but it wasn't well received image 

• Options

If you fancy something different the Arab Insitute is worth a look. Really bizarre building (one wall is built from light-reactive panels, like camera lenses) it's free to go in, and there's a cool cafe on the roof with panoramic views and mint tea.

• Options
    I love the Sacre Couer and surrounding areas and could go there again, and again.