Cheshire Traithlon, May 22nd

Hi all I am competeing in my first triathlon in Nantwich in May and would like some advice for a novice triathlete (any hints and tips welcome). Could anyone who has completed the course give me any info on tough sections or things to be aware of. All advice, course related or not would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• The course is relatively straight forward and reasonably flat although the road surface for part of the bike were really poor last time I rode it and there was a load of cow shite on the road where the farmer had crossed the herd over the road, possibly deliberate as he knew the road was being used.

The only potential confusing thing is the split transition. The start is at the pool and is 500 yards from the finish area and run start, you have to leave your run shoes in a transition area at the park, but take your bike and swim stuff to the pool and collect your goggles towel etc after the race from a collection tent.

Overall its a well organised event with a friendly atmosphere. 

General advice is take it easy relax and have fun.

• That does sound a little confusing but I'm sure I'll get sorted. so which transitions are added on to which splits? Just looking at last years results and trying to gauge where I am in relation to each discipline. I'm sure I'll enjoy myself but I doubt I'll take it easy, I prefer to flagellate myself at every given opportunity! ( numerous running events at all distances reflect this image
  • Also can you tell me if the run is on grass or gravel path? I know it's in a park and looks like it's on grass from what I can tell but just wanted to check.
  • The transitions are not too confusing really

So far as I can recall the Bike time starts from the second you get out of the pool so includes your time getting dry!

the run time I think includes the time from the second you return back into transition with the bike.

The Run is on grass BUT if your off at an early start time then the grass can be quite wet and slippy in places there are some tight turns round a tree at the end of the park

• That's great, thanks very much for your help. I think I'll pack my trail runners as well as my normal ones just in case. That puts some of the times in perspective too, not doing too bad with my training in the grand scheme, finding it hard to get my swimming sorted but I understand that most struggle with this discipline (I could set a good time doing breaststroke but I'd like to take it further with the distance so I want to get my front crawl sorted.) anyway, cheers again for the pointers, they really help.
  • I did it as my first Tri about three years ago now. It is ideal for beginners. Yes I think the transitions are a little faffy but it's because there is nowhere to run from at the pool. Just get there at least an hour before and you'll be fine. I've yet to do a Tri doing FC so far all I've done have been BS and I've probably done into double figures now. I've done that paticular tri three times now but won't be doing it again for a while.
  • From watching some tri's on telly I've noticed that they have boxes in transition. Do you have to take your own or are they provided? Or do you not need one at all? And one other question! Is it far to run from the pool to your bike?
  • Run out the back gate of the pool, down the side of the pool and into T1

For this tri you get a numbered back to put your swim kit into, and that gets taken back up to T2 whilst you are cycling / running

Use a box in T2 if you need one, But you provide it.  For a sprint  like this all you need in T2 are your running shoes, so no need

Think in a moment of madness I entered this one, will be a bit of endurance traing as I am doing a aquathon of Friday night, and a 1500m open water swim on the Saturday, so by the time I get to this I will be shattered

• What are you doing Monday? Swimming the channel?! Thanks for that Dave, I know it's only a novice event and the emphasis is meant to be on enjoying the day but I like to be as well informed about things as I can. I've only entered the fun distance as my swim lets me down but it's starting to get there very slowly, cycling and running come a bit easier for me so it's just a gentle entry into tri for me. For the 200m swim, 12.6 mile bike and 1.5m run I'm looking at about 4mins, 35-40mins & under 10 mins respectively so with a bit of time lost in transition if I get under 1hr I'll be happy.
  • This was my 1st Tri a while back , And I did it breast stroke and didn't complete the bike cos I bust a wheel....

It's a nice fun event, even my wife and kids have done it since

• I considered doing breaststroke but I want to have a go at all distances, maybe even an ironman eventually?! so I thought I'd better start as I mean to go on and learn how to swim front crawl again. It sounds like a good day and I'm sure the tri bug will bite as I really enjoy cycling and running and now that my swimming is getting better it's shaping up to being a really enjoyable sport for me. I hope I don't bust a wheel that really doesn't sound like fun image mind you, might be a good excuse for a new bike, I'll just see how that sits with the missus image so are there any other similar tri's in the north west that you'd recommend?
  • Big Al 123 wrote (see)
     I hope I don't bust a wheel that really doesn't sound like fun image mind you, might be a good excuse for a new bike,

It was !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Always look for a positive, that's what I always say!
  • Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    I considered doing breaststroke but I want to have a go at all distances, maybe even an ironman eventually?! so I thought I'd better start as I mean to go on and learn how to swim front crawl again. It sounds like a good day and I'm sure the tri bug will bite as I really enjoy cycling and running and now that my swimming is getting better it's shaping up to being a really enjoyable sport for me. I hope I don't bust a wheel that really doesn't sound like fun image mind you, might be a good excuse for a new bike, I'll just see how that sits with the missus image so are there any other similar tri's in the north west that you'd recommend?
    There is the same event in September, I would also recommend Bala Olympic in September and Ironman UK image
  • Noticed it was on again in September, just under a different name. I'm tied up for most of september which is a shame as I wanted to move on from the fun to the sprint distance in september. Maybe consider Olympic distance for next year but it depends on how my swimming goes, if it progresses well then I might squeeze one in at the back end of this season. Ironman is a distant goal at the min but I know my peverse mind will take me there eventually!
    By the way JPenno were you at the liverpool half today? I assume it was u as you had a pirate t shirt on with your name on it!
  • Yes that was me at Liverpool today, you should have come over image
  • I was going to but I was blowing it out of my backside up the hill around mile 3 image 

Still, managed to get a PB in my hometown for the second year running 1:43. I reckon there's still a few minutes to shave off that though and it's set me up nicely for a summer of training before the full mara in October

How did you get on?

• Struggled round in 1:47, need to lose the two stone I have gained since IMUK 2009image
  • still a good time and I reckon if you complete an ironman then you can afford to let go a bit, admittedly nearly 2 years is probably long enough!! image
  • I am reasonably happy with the time for now, main focus this year is Liverpool marathon in October and Outlaw triathlon Relay (marathon) so should start to drop the weight and improve the times over the summer
  • 1:43 !!! Sandbagger   I haven't gone under 2hrs for a half in ages

• Just looked at the cost for an ironman!!!! image if I ever get there I doubt I'll be disclosing the figure to my OH!

Dave, you'll have to excuse my ignorance but what's a sandbagger? I assume it's a derisery term you're addressing me with!

• on the plus side the current IM swim course starts opposite where I work, so no problem parking!
  • JPenno, at least we get to train through the summer for this marathon as opposed to all over xmas and new year as you do for London (once and never again!!)

• just googled sandbagger image 

" misleads others about his ability level, claiming to be worse than he actually is"

"A sandbagger is considered by many to be the lowest form of life"

In my defence, I never said I was a novice runner! I've two marathons under my belt and every distance in between, my cycling is ok too. I'm just a rubbish swimmer and have not done a triathlon before!

If I could swim then I'd be going straight into olympic distance but i can't so I have to ease myself in.

• Teehee

I was only teasing, See you at Nantwich

• Yes but you aren't really a rubbish swimmer you sound better than me image
  • I did take it in jest dave, nowt wrong with a bit of banter image I look forward to passing you on the run while you shout "sandbagger" at me in Nantwich image

Orange 5, it's taken me 4 months just to be able to swim 8 continuous lengths front crawl without looking like I'm about to die! Water and breathing are a hard combination! image
  • 4Mins for 200 metres, thats quicker than most on here!!!!

This was my first tri a few years back and I put down 16 minutes for the estimated swim time, think I did it in about 9 minutes

• Silent assassin: Was that for the 200m swim?