Foam rolling - does it really help?

Hello all ITB sufferers!

I have been having ITB problems and have just started to use the foam roller on the top of my ITB (along the thigh) but it is absolute AGONY!!  With this in mind i'm wondering - is this really helping or should i just give up? It's been really sore today after this morning's session which is annoying as i'd managed to do 5k on the treadmill without any pain at all!

Any advice would be helpful!

thanks

Laura

Comments

• Hi Laura,

Been having ITB problems myself over the last couple of weeks and just ordered a foam roller online on the advice of my physio. He seems to think it helps. The deep tissue massage he gave me yesterday was pretty painful if that gives you anything to compare too!

Hoping the foam roller will help me avoid future ITB problems......

Si

• Yup - sorted my ITB problems in the run up to Rome marathon last year and kept me fit since. Hurts like hell though .......
  • ValleyValley ✭✭✭

It gets much easier, I've been foam rolling daily for the last 2 weeks and I can now put the full weight of both legs onto the roller.

Whether it actually works I can't say yet.

• The short answer is yes. It DOES help.

It also BLOODY hurts a lot.

Deep tissue massage is agony but works too. You have to stick with it.

• They certainly work,  personally, I don't suffer from ITB issues but do it as a part of my stretching & self massage

Rather than a foam roller, I just use a 2l coke bottle filled with waterand by jingo it hurts!!!

• ITBS is the threatening to ruin my running. I got a foam roller. To begin with I could not even put my weight on it. Had to support myself with my free leg and forced my self to do one minute (using a timer to make sure I really did it). Longest one minute ever. Brought tears to my eyes with the pain and had to really focus on remembering to breathe. After a few weeks of using it after running I can now put my weight on it (like in the picture on the instructions) and I'm managing to do two minutes per leg. Afterwards I sit with ice packs strapped to my legs where the pain is. I can now run a lot further before the pain stops me (got to about 10 miles today before I had to stop). Doing Edinburgh Marathon on 22nd May and hope the injury continues to improve so I can run the whole thing.

• Yes, it helps. It's just not a lot of fun...
  • Foam roller arrived today, tried it out after a 10k run and it does seem to help. Worth trying if your having problems, be prepared it hurts!
  • Wow - does it really hurt that much to use a roller? I just bought my friend one for her birthday and feel like I have got her a torture implement image

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭
    Tricia Murray wrote (see)

Wow - does it really hurt that much to use a roller? I just bought my friend one for her birthday and feel like I have got her a torture implement image

Yes it does and yes you have, she may never talk to you again image

• Foam roller V's Physio stripping my ITB, I know what I would choose. image
  • has anyone had any success on muscles other than ITB. I think my issues are with gluteus medius and minimus as well as hip flexors and ITB so i wondered about using the foam roller on those but im finding it quite hard using the roller atm. dont think im doing it right!!!!
  • NY - think i have the same as you, the whole right leg is a mess,  Everything hurt so the best option is have it to lop it off. 

I have a foam roller and it rerally does hurt using it but it's worth the pain.  Add lots of stretches as well but keep at it

It is interesting how many threads there are on this, seems to be the most common injury.

Does this injury ever go away or is it something we just hve to live with?

• Dankholes wrote (see)

They certainly work,  personally, I don't suffer from ITB issues but do it as a part of my stretching & self massage

Rather than a foam roller, I just use a 2l coke bottle filled with waterand by jingo it hurts!!!

The coke bottle filled with water is a great idea. I wish I'd seen it yesterday before I ordered my roller which is coming today. I had a go using one last night, & yes did it hurt or what. Starting a whole regime of stretching as well now.

• Defo stick with using the foam roller. It really does help loosen up any knots. I've just come out the otherside of an ITB injury after a few months of being sidelined with it. I use it daily on my ITB and other parts of the legs where I feel it's needed.

The foam roller and regular sports massages & strengthening exercises for the glute med is keeping my ITB probs at bay!

• Which size would you say is the best to buy? From what I have read it points to the larger one but they look massive - and more painful? But I would rather get one that is going to work my calves adequately.
  • I got a half size one from physio supplies off amazon.co.uk £14. Easy to store and I can get both legs on at same time if need to.
  • The one I've ordered is 15 x 45cm, at £14.50 from PhysioSupplies.com, which has just arrived, but tbh the coke bottle was perfect for the job so if you think of that size that would do.
  • Something my Physio  said to me was that she associates ITB with dehydration - weeing a lot has to be better than the pain from ITB stripping and it's cheaper!