What to do with my Keys?

In the near future, I am going to start going to my local Park Run. Now the only problem is that to take public transport, it will take me over an hour to get there. Alternatively I can drive taking me about 10 minutes.

So, I plan on driving. The only problem is that I have no idea what to do with my keys. I can leave everything I want to in the car and that leaves me with just my car key - which is a big bulky thing!

In the winter, I would happilly put my jacket on and the key in the zipable pocket.
Now that it is getting warmer, I would prefer not to run with a jacket on!

My running trousers have 2 side pockets but these are too shallow for me to risk putting anything in them.
So,

Option 1. Tie the key to the draw string of my running pants - I imagine this to be rather uncomfortable though!
Option 2. Try and convince the wife to sew some velcoro/zip onto the pockets
Option 3. Find a decent 'Shoe Pocket' to hold my key

My Mother in Law bought me something for Christmas, but I just don't trust it to stay on my shoe - it has a little clip which slides over the laces (I presume) but it looks cheap and likely to break off or something just as bad...

What would people advise me to get?

Thanks,

Comments

• i bought a little pouch with a starp that goes round your arm you can fit keys and a phone in there as well i got it from sportsworld for about 3.99 it works very well although you have to make sure the strp is tight enough so it doesnt slip down during the run .
  • BB ✭✭✭

How big is the key? I usually take the ky fob off and put the key in a zip pocket in my kit, but if there's not pocket then I tie it to one of my shoe laces and tuck it in the lace a bit so it doesn't flap about.

• It is a fairly big key - basically a block of plastic which the whole thing fits into the ignition. Not sure if it would tuck into my laces very easily. I can give that a try.

I already have an armband on which I use for my iPhone. I suppose I could look to see if I can find one with a pocket on as well.

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭
    I use one of these for phone and a single key - any use?
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    PieOPah wrote (see)

Option 1. Tie the key to the draw string of my running pants - I imagine this to be rather uncomfortable though!
    Option 2. Try and convince the wife to sew some velcoro/zip onto the pockets
    Option 3. Find a decent 'Shoe Pocket' to hold my key

Are you disabled?  Inept?  or just lazy?

Sew some flipping velcro on them yourself!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Option 4: carry it in your hand.  Unless it's huge?  I carry my house keys and a gel or 2 in one hand and a 'doughnut' water bottle in the other when in marathon training and race marathons carrying gels.
  • Hail Hail

Its a parkrun.  Ie 5k.  Why on earth do you need to take your iPhone with you?  Ergo, leave the iPhone and use the armband for the key. 

• My hands do a BRILLIANT job of carrying things. Its only 5k ?

I take it you have a keyring on the fob ? So loop that over your finger whilst you run ?

OR use a gel belt - they have little wallets on the back thats big enough for an iphone.

OR leave it with your jacket at the finish and I'm sure a kindly marshal will do their best to guard it ?

OR take a leaf from a squirrel and bury it in the ground.  May be best to also draw a map to help find the location again later. Dunno where you should carry the map though, Sorry.

• Running Bhoy wrote (see)

Hail Hail

Its a parkrun.  Ie 5k.  Why on earth do you need to take your iPhone with you?  Ergo, leave the iPhone and use the armband for the key. 

The same thought crossed my mind

Or alternatively assuming you have 2 arms..... one armband on each ?

Actually thinking about it that might answer Wilkies question image

Wilkie wrote (see)

Are you disabled?  Inept?  or just lazy?

Sew some flipping velcro on them yourself!

• At my parkrun, there are people at the meeting point all the time and people simply leave their bags and stuff there. No burglaries yet...
  • Its a key ... dont overthink it, just carry it   image
  • Or - if its a 10 minute drive - why not cycle there ? Great warmup and you're being environmentally friendly ? Hell you could even run there as an even better warm up !
  •  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

+1 to each of the 3 above ...

Or just buy some shorts wth 'inner key fob pocket' - works fine for me. (although I do put plastic card type key fobs in a small poly bag first to keep dry)

• Peter Collins wrote (see)
    At my parkrun, there are people at the meeting point all the time and people simply leave their bags and stuff there. No burglaries yet...

Hiya Peter, only burglary if in a building or part of ! Theft is the word you are looking for image

• My keys (and I'm talking 3 house keys and the car key) either go in my bum bag or jacket pocket if I've got either of them with me but mostly  I just carry them in my hand.  Hook my fingers through the big carabiner keyring and off I go.
  • I've put my key in a shallow side pocket in the past, then used a safety pin through the ring (the KEY ring) to secure it to my shorts.
  • Thanks.

There are some great solutions. I would hold the keys, but I find that when I am running, things get so sweaty rather quickly that holding things becomes uncomfortable. As such I would prefer to avoid this where I can.

I take my iPhone with me so I can listen to music on my way round a run. I know a lot of people disagree with this, but I run for enjoyment and I enjoy listening to music whilst running.

The y-fumble looks like a great.

I must say though that the safety pin is possibly the best option. Simple and effective.

Thank you all image

• Just stick it in the exhaust pipe of your car?
    Disclaimer: I don't know which ParkRun you're doing, so I can't steal your motor even if you do this!
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

You could get a key box like surfers use. It attaches to the car's toeing eye and has a combination lock.

other type are available

• I always use the draw string of my shorts for my front door key when I go out for a run and for my car key when I race.  No problems with chaffing to date and very secure as I tie it up in a treble knot or more.
  • I use two solutions - I got a £1 bumbag/fanny pack from Poundland, which I use when I want to take my wallet, keys and phone out running (hey, it's the only time we get to be alone!).

If I'm racing or doing a Park Run, I use an old money holder that goes round the waist that I got from Boots. It's really flat although the thinner straps can be uncomfortable.