Options

lucozade pace bands

had my London marathon booklet today...........

first real article on pabe 10 is the lucozade run your own race.............first point......know your pace...............good advice...........

but then they give the example to run a 4:30 marathon you need to run 9 min milingimage.so thats where I have been going wrong...................

my calculations mean that to run sub 4:30 you need to run 10:19 min miling..a hell of a difference........

how can they make such a basic mistake in their first point.............can we trust any of the advice they are givingimage

Comments

• Options
    ClamshellClamshell ✭✭✭

It's a typo in the magazine!!!!! - it must be.  

I'm sure the actual pace bands will be accurate.   

I went into a bit of a panic mode when i read that bit, and had to get my hubby to run through the maths again to make sure!!

• Options
    Also if you don't but loads of lucozade gelks at the Expo..your leg might fall off on the day.....hang on i think thats another typo...image
  • Options
    Seren - try this.  You can create your own pace band on the lucozade site.  I have 'created' one for 4:30 marathon and it comes out at 10:16 min miling.
  • Options
    You can create one on this site too. I too read that and was rather amazed at the huge mistake - but at least if someone hoping for a sub 4.30 believes it and bashes out 9 min miles they'll be pleasantly surprised (or dead.)
  • Options
    carovet wrote (see)
    You can create one on this site too. I too read that and was rather amazed at the huge mistake - but at least if someone hoping for a sub 4.30 believes it and bashes out 9 min miles they'll be pleasantly surprised (or dead.)
    LOL
  • Options
    ClamshellClamshell ✭✭✭

It looks like the Lucozade site has been changed, and i can no longer find the links to the pace bands....and i hadn't got round to printing mine off yet image.   If anyone finds them, can you let me know.

They printed in a larger font than the RW ones, and so were easier to read on the go.   Poo!!!

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Hey Clamshell, I'm sure you can get them from the Lucozade stand at the Expo anyway so you could pick one up there?  

• Options
    ClamshellClamshell ✭✭✭

Hi Miggs, yes i know, but i was going to highlight my custom band with reminders of where the LS stations were and when to eat my JB's  (coloured highlighters) and the LS ones are yellow already.

Why can't they just leave things alone!!!!!   ARRGG!!!!

Might get the calculations off of RW, then type up my own in Excel/word or something, so i can customise it. image.

I can have it 3 columns wide....for every eventuality!!!!!   (maybe not image)

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Ahh, okay, I noticed the site was down a few days ago?!?

If you ask Squeakz for one, I'm sure he'll be able to rattle something up even more impressive with a built in Garmin or something! Come on Squeakz - let's see you sort this one out image

• Options
    Clamshell - are you going to colour code it for individual jelly babies? image
  • Options
    ClamshellClamshell ✭✭✭
    USB - image   I could do that.....put all the same colour ones together in their bags, and eat them per colour!!!   I already have to take out all the orange ones.  (is that racist!! image) I've ditched the green ones too, as not so keen on them, but at least they don't make me image.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

You can easily make your own in Excel - just make a list from 1 to 26 for the miles, then put your chosen pace in the top cell of the next column and use a formula to add that pace down the column so you can see what time you should be at any given mile.

You can make the font as big as you like.

Stick some sellotape over it and Bob's your uncle!

• Options
    ClamshellClamshell ✭✭✭

Wilkie - I've worked out how you formal cells to 'time' rather than numbers - but now i can't get the formula to work.  Tried to do each one as equals the one above, plus first time??

• Options

Clamshell - I did it like this:

Type the time per mile you want in cell A1 (formatted as time) then in cell A2 type =A1+A$1 and copy down 26 times. To get the final time for the .2 at the end type =A26+A1/5 in the final cell.

• Options
    ClamshellClamshell ✭✭✭

Thanks Shine, that's fab!!! - sorted!!!

It's been bugging me all day.......didn't know about the $ bit to stop the copy/paste from just increasing the formula each time.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Shine has got it - but I had the mile numbers in column A, and used $B$1 for the cell with the first mile pace in it.

You can press F4 to get the absolute cell reference (the dollar signs).

• Options
    http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/pacebandcreator.cfmI just found this site which does pace bands in same style as old Lucozade
  • Options

thanks for that jovi runner bookmarked it for Edinburgh next week and future races.....such helpful folk on here!!image