Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Good work JR! You are doing well. I on the other hand couldn't follow my own advice and ended up injuring my left ankle by over doing it. D'OH. I had a 5K the following sunday but fortunatley a few days rest was enough and I am back in action.

Have you entered any 5K's where you are? I think I will try and enter 1 a month to keep myself motivated and measure my progress. My first 5K was great!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done Addy - I have my first race in 12 years Sunday over 5 miles - can't quite believe I am worried about not getting round or finishing last - but have already set my next target which will be in October over 10K that will give me a motivation to get out lose more wight and get fitter - it certainly helps to have a goal.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi Addy, i have never entered a 5k, i've always been worried they'll all be too quick! The shortest distance i've done is 5 miles and the longest 10k so not much variance i'm afraid. I got my 10k time down to 52m 13s and was hoping to push under 50 minutes until my injuries kicked in about 18 months ago. I had half marathons, the London marathon and the Grizly at Seaton all on my planner until the dreaded achilles tendonitis kicked in.

I agree with the motivation a race entry gives you, it really spurs me on to get out the door. You can't beat having that race entry on your calendar to drive you on.

Good luck on Sunday Grendel, enjoy the race!!!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Friday 25 March - 2.72 miles

Nice easy run along the canal after work with the wife, really hot today but another good run under my belt.

Week 5.41

Month 27.54

2011 27.54

• Mind if I join in?

I started running around eight years ago and had worked up to thirty muniutes running (approx 3 miles)  following the RW beginner's schedule when I had to stop running due to health problems.

I just started running again a few weeks ago after a seven year lay off and it's back to square one. It's so demoralising to have lost all that fitness (I used to cycle and play five-a-side twice a week as well as running). I tried to pick up again too fast and found I was getting worse with each run, so I'm starting again from the very beginning of the RW schedule.

I've done two of the first week's Run 1 min, Walk 90 secs x 8. It feels go so far. I'll be out again later today and if that goes OK, I'll be stepping it up to the weekk 2 schedule of Run 2 mins, Walk 1 min x7.

The main thing is that it feels good to be back out there.

• Good for you Rivvy.

I think building milage is the key at the stage, not really the pace. I think you should consider a 5K as a target.

JR don't worry about 5K runners all being too fast. Lots of people just do it for fun. I came 42nd out of 83 and that was a real confidence boost. I did it in 30.01mins, so my next target is under 30 mins!

Happy running all!

• Cheers Addy,

did my session on Run 1 min, walk 90 seconds on Saturday and it felt really good. Next run is tomorrow and wil be the first of the Run 2 min, Walk 2 min sessions.

Let's see how that goes.

If  it continues to go ok then I'll look out for a 5k near me in a couple of months.

• May I join you?   This thread is full of people in a similar position to me!

I'm having to start again, very gingerly, after being out of action for a year or so with a prolapsed disc in my lower back, which is only just now getting better.   I also hit the big five-0 earlier this month!

I'm going to start tomorrow with the beginners walk/run programme - looking forward to it, but a bit nervous of hurting my back.

• Good luck Sue. Getting started is the hardest part! But why tomorrow? Never put off til tomorrow what you could do today!

I hope your back will be okay. What does your doctor say? I sometimes get a sore back, not to the same degree, and am not convinced I am doing myself any favours by running. I keep imagining the discs compressing and the muscles stretching with each foot strike. Ofcourse on the other hand, going at it slowly might actually help strengthen the supporting muscles. Does anyone know?

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    There you go first race in 12 years - the Braintree 5 - a bit more undulating than I wanted and warmer too, but broke my 58:12 target by 8 minutes or so - finished in 50:41 so a start back!!!
  • Hi Folks, I'm back after a bit of sulking, still unable to run, now have trapped nerve in my left buttock....

Grendel, its a great feeling finishing a race after so long off, I completed my first 10km for 15 years three weeks ago.... Downside, haven't run since.... didn't let legs recover enough (I think)...

When I'm able to start running again, its back to basic's, no rush, slow build up in mileage, listen to the body more... It gets you nowhere trying to take short cuts....

Hope your all enjoying the lighter nights, and warmer temps, ideal training conditions unless injuried like myself (I know its self-inflicted).......

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard Rivvy River, I know how demoralising it is to start again, I had previously hit 25 miles a week including long runs of approx. 15 miles. The main thing. However, is simply being out there. It doesn’t matter how far, or how fast, but the fact you get your rear end out the door and do something you enjoy. It might hurt some days, ache the next, but it’s the feeling it gives you whether its stress relief or that runners high. You can’t beat it. Good luck with your comeback, and take it easy!

Hi Sue, good luck with the comeback, its never too late. All the best with your back. I suffered a back injury a few years back and have accepted I will have to stretch pretty religiously for the rest of my life to keep the pain at bay, but listen to your body and if you need to, repeat a week of the schedule. As I’ve been well advised, its not set in stone.

Grendel3, you must be well chuffed, what a time! That’s some achievement, hope you had an extra large bar of chocolate to congratulate yourself. The weekend was certainly warm so well done again.

Take your time Bluenose74, the fact you managed a 10k after such a break probably means you just rushed it a bit on the recovery front. You clearly seem to know where you went wrong, so unlike me, listen to your body and good luck getting back again.

Sunday 27 March - 3.05 miles

Last 5 minute run, 3 minute walk before I move onto the next stage of my schedule. Felt really good yesterday and probably went a little too quick as I was aching a bit today but fine now I’ve had a good stretch. Loving this improved weather although not liking the fact it was dark cycling to work this morning!

Week 8.46Month 30.592011 30.59
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    Was well chuffed really so thanks, although saw my old  training partner for first time since my wedding 10 years ago so was great to catch up he is already bombarding me with photos of the old days!! but he ran 29:22 but hasn't had all that time off - oh well something to aim for - am a bit stiffer tonight than this monring but will go for a very easy jog tomorrow and then to resume what i have been doing over the past 3 months next week - with a target to do a 10K in October so have 6 months to train more and lose the weight and then who knows?
  • Hi Addy and Justrun, thanks for your welcome!

Went out for my first "run" for over a year today.  I took it very gently because I'm absolutely terrified of damaging my back again.  I walked for three minutes, ran for one, and repeated four times.  Then went home and did lots and lots of stretching!

I really enjoyed it.  It was just getting light, the birds were singing, and it was quite mild.  Feeling great now ..... hope my back still feels okay tomorrow morning!

How often do you run?  I'm aiming at going out every other morning.

• Hi Sue..... Its great to hear of your determination to get back out...... But one thing I've learnt recently, try listening to your body instead of achieving aims, missing a day because of stiffness/niggles is a lot better than missing a week or five, believe me......

Have you tried a neoprene back support belt....  

• Good start Sue,

When I started I was running/walking every other day as I too was also scared of injury. That worked for me for the first 6 weeks as my muscles and joints adapted. I generally have 2 rest days a week now unless I feel a specific pain. I actually have a slightly sore left ankle for the last couple of days but was okay during my runs. I am thinking of an extra rest day incase it gets worse and halts my training alltogether!!

Good race Grendel3, A little bit of stiffness is a good thing I think. You need to push a little to get real gains so well done.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Nice to see everyone getting out and about. Went for a 3 mile run tonight in the dark. Took my headtorch with me and definately feel i'm getting fitter. My form is definately improving and i feel stronger each time i run.

Tuesday 29 March - 3 miles - 7 minutes run/3 minutes walk

Week 3

Month 33.59

2011 33.59

• Thanks for the welcome Just Run. 

Did my first seesion of run 2 minutes / walk 1 minute yesterday.

Decided to run home from work in order to fit it in as I had things on in the evening. It's not the ideal route as more than 50% of it is uphill and it also crosses a few sets of very busy traffic lights which means stopping or jogging on the spot while the lights change for the pedestrian crossiings.

So did: Run 2 minutes / walk 1 minute x8 - 2 miles.

It should have been x7but I lost nearly a minute at the pedestrian crosssings so I did an extra set to make up for it.

I'm not bothered about the distance at this stage, just want ot be able to build up the time spent running. It was tough at the beginning of the run as that's where the worst of the uphill bit is. Felt a lot better once it levelled off and felt I could have gone further at the end.

My only worry is a pain on the sole of my feet down the outside thet I started to feel at the end of the run. It's gone now but I'll have to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

I'll see how ti goes tomorrow.

• Well done everyone.  It's heartening to see so many people getting back into running after a period of illness/injury.

My back is feeling rather sore today, even though I took it very easy yesterday.  I'll definitely look into the back support - thanks Bluenose.

• Out at 6.00 a.m. again.  3 mins walking, 1 min running, x 4.

My husband came with me, and he's a real beginner, and quite overweight and unfit! 

Hope this will do us both good.

How's everyone doing?

• Well done Sue.

Did my second Run 2 mins / Walk 1 min x 7 this afternoon.

A more level route than Tuesday.

It felt really good and I felt that I could have kept running at the end of each run section.

One more session on Saturday then it's up to the step if that goes OK.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done all for what has been a good weeks work for everyone. 

Since my post Monday have been out each day and run 20 minutes, will look to do that again tomorrow and then 30 Sunday.

Need then to start to increase the time I run each day to 30 minutes then hold that for a cocuple of weeks before intriducing some fartlek/speed work.

Have just about got rid of the cold and felt quite good this monring as if I was running slightly quicker - so maybe the cold in my system did effect how I was feeling Sunday. (nice to think I may have had an excuse!!)

An old running buddy has suggested a couple of races before the Southend 10K but might concentrate on picking up the speed a bit - and just incorporate a monthly time trial -

Wull be looking to run the 10k in a similar time to the 5 mile on Sunday.

Have a good weekend all and happy running!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Super running everyone, very inspiring! Went for a nice gentle run with my wife after work today along the canal. Very cool today and just what i needed, really enjoyed it. Reckon i've lost a pound or two this week as i'm back in my 'skinny jeans'. Ok, they're actually 34" waist but thats skinny for me! Feel lighter so a nice chocolate eclair as a treat and a pint later tonight i think. Out again Sunday, can't wait!

Friday 1 April - 2.65 miles - 7 minutes run, 3 minutes walk x 3

Week 5.65

Month 2.65

2011 36.24

• Well done you guys. You are making some excellent progress.

I work offshore so have only had access to treadmill for the last week and a half. I must say it is not doing my on/off left foot injury any good!

Although I think this may be realted to the fact that I can run longer on the treadmill without a walk break. On friday I did 3mins walk followed by 17mins run at 10KPH then 3mins walk then 7mins run at 10KPH then 5 min cool down walk. About an hour later my left foot was in some pain!

Again I seem unable to take my own advice. I can't help myself, the hadrer the run the better the post run high!!

• Did my last (maybe) run 2 mins / walk 1 min session on Saturday but found it quite tough. Also had a very sore lower back.

I'm diabetic so run with a waist belt to carry blood test meter, glucose tablets, phone etc. and I'm wondering whether that may be what  made my back sore. It's been OK for the first few weeks though, and for the first two run 2 / walk 1 sessions. I'll have to see how it goes this week.

When I used to run a few years ago, I had the same problem with my back and had to resort to using a backpack instead of a waist pack. So may have to do that again.

My first session of run 3 mins / walk 1 min x 6 tomorrow.

Addy - I used to run in the gym as well as outside and also found that the treadmill was easier. Have you tried putting the treadmill on a slight incline to make it a bit harder?

• OK.

Did my first run3 min, walk 1 min x6 session today and it felt really good, tough at times but good.

I tried to slow my pace down on the runnign bits so that I felt I had some energy to spare and it weemed to work. I fetl that I could have run for longer at the end of each three minutes.

Next session on Thursday.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Addy, sorry to hear you're struggling a bit. Feel free to tell me where to go but i think when taking walk breaks during running they are much more effective when taken at regular intervals and not just when you get tired. Taking walk breaks early and often can help you to finish stronger and help you recover at regular intervals so putting off fatigue. I think far too many people make the mistake of thinking they don't need a walk so they carry on until they feel they need one. My wife is a classic example of this and then struggles at the end of a run whereas i seem to get better the further i go.

I won't be offended if anyone wishes to correct me so please feel free to add comments on walk breaks peeps. Would be interesting to hear others opinions.

Sounds like things are going well Rivvy Runner. If the backpack worked before i'd be tempted to go back to it! I love the feeling that you could run further when your walk breaks are scheduled. I think it makes you run much better for the entire distance of the run and helps you finish strong.

Tuesday 5 April - 2.69 miles - 7 minutes run, 3 minutes walk x 3

Nice steady run tonight, perfect running conditions. Enjoying the extra light now! I missed Sundays run so i'm repeating the 7 minutes run, 3 minutes walk this week. I feel ready to step up to the next level but for once i'm in no rush and feel an extra week will simply make me even stronger and fitter going into the next stage. I really feel like my form is getting stronger with every run now and my easy pace is becoming just that, easy. Makes me feel confident, and there are no aches and pains to complain about so fingers crossed!

Week 2.69

Month 5.34

2011 38.93

• Just Run, I feel the same way about keeping things nice and easy at the moment.  I know I could do more, but I'm in no hurry because I want to build up my strength and stamina and keep injury-free!

Yesterday hubby and I went into our Week 2 Schedule:  walk 2 mins / run 1 min x 6.  Felt fine at the end, but hubby was puffing and panting!  He's determined to carry on, though, which is great.  And I really enjoy being with someone else. 

Next session tomorrow morning at 6.00 a.m. - eeeek!

• Hi everyone!

This is just the type of thread I have been looking for!!! 

I have been running for six years, I was 5 stone overweight so I was slow but that never bothered me because I loved it so much.  I took part regularly in races and joined a running club that was amazing!

Since then i was made redundant so lost all motivation for everything and ended putting on another 3 stone - gutted!  I have since started slimming world and lost 8,5lbs in 2 weeks.  I am motivated again to start running. I have checked with my GP, who is also a runner, and he says I will be fine, despite my weight.  I am on antidepressents and I know running makes me feel free.

So, I would like regularly post on here how I go with my running.  I plan to start on 10th April, I gave myself a couple of weeks to organise myself.  I am a full time student now studying a BA(hons) in Childhood and Education Studies so my routine will be so very different from when I started running.

Thanks guys!!

• Hi Jaime,

welcome to the thread.

Running will bring great health benefits as well as making you feel good every time you go out.

Keep us updated with how you're getting on.