'Mature' runners.

Comments

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

JJ - superb result - is it usual for you to walk away with most of the prizes?

TE - shame. I had the same problem with a different web-site last week using Firefox and realised the 'remembered password' was logging me back in automatically each time I tried to log out... which just proves that one man's meat etc.

Red - 'fraid not. I plan to start, and I plan to finish - the middle bit will reflect the interruptions to training due to other stuff that you know about. Biggest concern right now is not stamina, but the Patellar-Femoral dislocation caused by overtight ITB - usual problems. But, I'm putting on a positive head for the next 10 days. I do hope your knee stops hurting soon, and that the wine is good.

OT, healing vibes for your ankle too.

IW - curried Hawaian pizza sounds 'gross' from a distance. Maybe it is better close up?

Chris - nice strategy image

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Just realised my avatar pic is almost 7 years old.
  • I also use Firefox, which not only remembers passwords if you let it, but also has a 'keep me logged in' option, which I actually like as I'm the only one who uses the site.

We've had solar panels installed this week, and despite it being quite overcast compared with the last 4 weeks, are generating plenty of electricity - very exciting!

Lovely that you are popping in regularly, Helegant! I'm sure you haven't changed much, and still look like your avatar!

Hope JJ & IW's health improves, and also Red's niggle.

About to go out with neighbour fort a run in the forest - this will be 5th day running! (Nothing over about 5 miles though)

• Tapering, easy 5 miles today at 11:20 miling

Hope everyone OK in their preparations.

• JJ, congratulations to you on your success at the flower show.

My ankle is slightly better today, i'm keeping off it today and tomorrow, with a view to doing my last long run on tuesday. My training schedule has gone to plan until now, i just hope my old marathon jinx has'nt come back to haunt me yet again. 

• Went out on a bike tour today, as John is off visiting his brother in London (they went to Wembley to see their team get beaten again - 3rd time that's happened, 'bout time John quit going to cup finals and play-off matches). The bike tour was super, beautiful sunny day and loads of people out on it, including, I was happy to see, quite a few youngsters. Once the short route split off from my 72km one, the course got quite a bit lumpier! But none of the control stops ran out of their free snacks and drinks, and I got back to the finish before they had sold all the cake - so a good day for me, lots of sunshine, saw quite a few friends on the course, and had coffee and cake too.
  • HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Think positive OT! image

I had some interesting discussions today as I told people my plans for next Sunday.

1. Physio - "You are looking so much fitter than 6 months ago; I wondered what you were doing. Hope it goes well"

2. A lady who, I suspect, may be a little older than me, "I ran 19 miles when I was 20 and was very ill afterwards. I would feel very guilty if i didn't tell you that what you are doing is dangerous and I think we would miss your skills if anything nasty were to happen to you. Please think about this very carefully"

3. Another runner (also planning 26.2 next Sunday - in Paris - probably in 3.30), "Good luck and have fun"

I'm trying to bury the earworm that suggest I'm going to die in the attempt, and focus on the positive too.

• Helegant, you are not going to die! If worst comes to worst you can walk a marathon in under 7 hours. The lady who ran 19 miles and was very ill after probably hadn't run very much before that.
  • HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

IW, you are correct. She had not done *any* trainingimage. (I refuse to be affronted that she assumed the same of me - it isn't obvious by looking image)

Funnily enough I was trying to work out today what time we might do as the charity want to know when to expect us at their cheering point.

My daughter is convinced that if she doubles her time for her only half-marathon she will have an accurate marathon time (this is her first marathon). I am trying to explain that she is dragging her mother round with her (who is older, less trained, slower etc) and I *will* pace myself as best I can. So some spirited discussions are going to happen over the next week as we negotiate tactics.

I am going to try to convince her to run/walk at a consistent pace, and not to worry about time until we get to 22 miles. Wish me luck!

• Yes of course I do.

I got comprehensively beaten by a woman who overtook me recently doing a continuous run-walk, she was running approx 50m then walking the same distance. I couldn't even stay with her walking pace!

• JJ, it is the last marathon for me, in 4 previous marathons i have never landed on the starting line fully fit and well, and here we are 2 weeks away  and i start with a problem with my ankle when everything was going well.

I think it is simply the high milage i've put in that has just taken its toll.

With half marathons the training is much easier, although i have to add i have'nt thrown the towel in for London  just yet ! 

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    It's likely that I shan't be keeping up with this thread for a while, as my mother was today hurried into hospital as an emergency. The hospital is an hour's drive away from home, so visiting will take a large chunk of the day. Good luck to all racers, and hope all injuries heal quickly. 
  • Columba - sorry to hear that, hope she is doing better now.
  • Morgen All,

The BIG week for Brighton is here!   The training is 'in the can' and we can't do anymore so bring it on (I think!).   I've trained very hard and despite the odd ache and pain, the body has managed to survive so we'll see how the marathon goes on Sunday.   I'll aim for between 3.15 and 3.30 and then see how I recover because 7 days later I run the infamous Hermannsauf (31K trail run) back here in Germany followed 6 days later by the Paderborn Half Marathon on Easter Saturday (the oldest on-going running event in Germany - the 65th 'running' of the event!).   So, in summary I'll be running 94K in 3 weekends - what a nutter - almost as mad as you folk running marathons in successive weeks!

Hope to see some of you in Brighton and good luck.   My race report will follow when I get back to Germany on 12th April as I'm not going to be a 'saddo' and take my laptop with me to Brighton although I will speak with and text Terry (TE) with my race time and he may be able to post my time on here at the weekend.

Best Wishes.

• Good luck Tony and hope to see you sometime in Brighton over the weekend. I shall wear some item of Pirate kit, even if only a buff, it's all neon yellow with black skull and X-bones so very visible.
  • Columba, all the best, thinking of you.
  • Columba, I do hope your Mother gets better soon. I will include you and her in my prayers.

Good luck to all you Brighton Marathon runnersimage

Did an interval session on grass, this afternoon, comprising 1.5 miles warm up and warm down with 10 x 440 yds and 2 min. jog recoveries. It was very windy and the grass was "springy."

• Columba, i wish your mum well.

JJ, No this one is the last, i haven't a problem with half marathons, bur marathons are something different, i have given everything to london for the past 4 months only to get within the starting line yet again, not entirely 100% fit.

I 'm still hopeful at this moment in time i can shake the problem off, but if not it will be a  just get round job to sign off London for the last  time. I am doing it for Diabetes UK.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

OMG, I am so lucky to have Mary to treat me. She is a real gem. She got straight to the root of the problem (tilted pelvis, tight hip flexors/quads and tight something else coming off the sticky out bone thing in that region). It hurt like mad but she's really loosened things up and the pain has eased dramatically. No running today but I can do a short and gentle plod tomorrow, which I need for my sanity image

Helegant, don't you just love the comments! My best one so far this year has been someone who saw an article in Sussex Life and remarked "You look much slimmer in real life"!!!

(((Columba))) hope she's recovering. Take care of yourself. xxx

OT, stay strong, there's still time to recover. Just rest, rest and more rest. I too am frequently injured in training so I fully understand your frustration and disappointment. If you're going round slowly you might end up hooking up with me as I'll be aiming for just under 6 hours at VLM to maximise my knitting time.

JJ, how are you feeling now?

Tony and IW, hope to see you both at Brighton.
  • OT and Red, hope you are both fit enough to complete the marathon, and, of course, best wishes to all of you who are running. I am envious that at present, I am unable to train suffciently to run a marathon, but still have ambitions, in that direction, in the future. In the meantime, I am training as hard as I can for the shorter distances, which should stand me in good stead when  am able to expend more time for training.
  • BURP! image

Long time no squeeeeeekie......

I recognise you of you lot!  Redbonce, IW, Helegant and of course the JJ man!

Just entered the london marafun fred which brought back many great memories 89 years ago! LOL

Does anyone have a spare spark that I can steal.  Am running regularly but no more than 8 miles.  Would love to get back to my former olympic standard of running LOL  I only have a year to train up you know.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying life to the full?

Hope visit more frequently than once every 7 years!

Take care

De Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabit 

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Hi Rabbit. How's the foot?
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Where'd that pesky wabbit go to then? <waves and hugs to ya!>
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Knee feels fab after Mary's treatment yesterday so will go for a gentle plod later image

JJ, glad you're feeling better.

OT, how are you?

(((Columba))). Thinking of you.
  • Hiya wabbit! Yet another MIA forumite suddenly turns up again! There's been a spate of peeps from another era showing up again all of a sudden on various threads. Where HAVE you been hiding? Apart from Facebook of course.
  • Dear All - Thanks for the best wishes for the Brighton Marathon.   Equally, my good wishes to all those running Brighton and London and any other races over the next couple of weeks.

Will look out for folk in Brighton.   I'll be in the red pen and wearing an Altzheimers Running Vest!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

I'll be in the orange pen, wearing a Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund vest. Next to me will be 'sproglet' who supported me at London 2003, running her first marathon. We're doing the Mum and Daughter matching vests thing.

Good luck and best wishes for a lovely day to all runners this weekend, and healing vibes to all the wounded.