st albans half - june

Has anyone run the st albans half and got any opinions on it?

http://www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk/

There seem to be very few halfs in June so fancy this one.

Comments

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

I have run this a few times and it is a good course and well organised.  Its a bit hilly.  Great for the family too as they do a 1mile run for the kids, 5kms and the half marathon.

Would recommend it

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

As above, rather hilly and tends to be pretty warm.

They do give you an ice cream at the finish though image

Oh and try to get there early, otherwise the marshals direct you to part about two miles away from the park.

• Hi,

I've done this 3 times, always seems to be the hottest day of the year, but there is shady sections and plenty of water.

Good course with a few hills, I managed a PB there one year.

It is a great family day out as they can see the race pass twice with only a short walk from the start. St Albans seem very proud of the half and make it a well supported event.

Parking can be a pain, so turn up early and relax in the park, or queue for the toilet! 

• Thanks for the positive feedback, at the moment you can only sign up online but emailed them and apparently you'll be able to download an application form next month so I'll wait until then and save myself a couple of squid...

•  Entry is open through the website.
  • runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

If you want to save £2 then postal entry forms are now available.  Contact Carlene - Carlene.Sandiford@leisureconnection.co.uk and she'll be able to send you a form.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I was a mug & entered online a few weeks back image

I hear this one gets filled up quickly so wanted to get my entry in before they all went. Maybe a bit too much eager beaver.

• Did this race 2 years ago - one of the hardest half's I've done as it's very hilly and was very hot.

Still not stopped me getting my entry in again though - I've heard that the course has been made easier. 

Can anyone confirm this ?

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    TheClaw wrote (see)

Did this race 2 years ago - one of the hardest half's I've done as it's very hilly and was very hot.

Great that's just what me and Kate wanted to hear image

• St Albans is a toughish course, lots of long drags on it, starts and finishes on grass, a climb out and down hill back

having said that -

it's nothing compared to Coniston 14 ( was - 16.7 ?)

or Ashbourne HM, or certainly Great Langdale in Cumbria - The road race from HELL - HILLY , it's eith up or down, liitle or no flat

we've run St Albans twice, the old Coniston course 3 times , Ashbourne 4 times, Langdale 4 times

for begginners and newish runners still building on fitness etc,  St Albans could prove a challenge

• Coniston was 14 miles -

is now 16.7

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I used to live in St Albans so just checked out the route.

Ohhh we're in for a tough one! 

But if it doesn't kill you, it just makes you stronger right?

• Right - absolutely right

i like it  image

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

There is the added incentive of a trip to the Waffle House to re-fuel afterwards!

• I'd rather re-fuel in the bars of St Albans after.....
  • naa, to much waffling  on going on LOL  image

but you  all enjoy

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

With just over a month to go, I was wondering how everyone's training was going?

After being wiped out from a blood donation a few weeks back, I've now been struck down with a horrible cold. I'm hoping to be rid of it soon as my training has fallen very behind.

I got my race pack the other day which I was surprised about as thought it wouldn't come until nearer the time (less time to be mis-placed!), the timing chip on the back of the number was a bit weird!

• I'm out of action for a while

collapsed prosate 

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I cant do this .. hernia operation on 6 June ... shame as I live in St albans and its a great event
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear that others aren't doing too well either, makes my cold seem rather pathetic.

I'm seriously looking an alternative race on the same day but a shorter distance. I've missed almost 4 weeks of decent training & not being someone who has a natural ability for running, I think it'll be tough to put in the required training in the next 4 weeks.

I did the St Albans 10k on Sunday & that was a real struggle, did prep me for the hills though!

• I also done the St Albans 10k on Sunday, its certainly a good "WARM UP" for the half it was a hot one !!, i have done the half 4 times , its a hilly one and always hot image, but usually well marshalled and always seem to be friendly fellow runners and locals that give plenty of encouragement,

train on some hills and put some mileage in, and u will be fine k8, thats my tip, as there are a couple of gradual climbs, but a good day out.

Good luck to all, see u on 12th June

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

Come on K8, couple of long weekend runs and you'll be sorted image 

If you're not quite up to speed then you can always treat it as a 10k and walk the rest.  

I managed the Stratford half last weekend in under 1:40 so hope to be in good shape for it although don't expect to be as quick with the hills.  

I haven't got my number as yet but the cheque has just been banked so I'll keep my eye out for it.

• I'm booked in, but no race pack as yet. Looking forward to this: a friend lives in St Albans, so we have a place to park, then a place to go back and shower afterwards before lunch and beers!
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I'm am feeling so rough at the moment, even the thought of a training run makes me feel image, let alone doing a half marathon!

I'm meant to be doing Stevington 12k this weekend but it's looking more & more unlikely as the week goes on.

That was a good time for Stratford Loz, get your training in for St Albans & those hills will be painless image

I don't suppose anyone has signed up for the Wheathampstead 10k on the 22nd have they?

• I'm struggling to get the motivation for this one. Since I did my first (and only !) marathon in March, seem to have lost my momentum.

Am getting out about 3 times a week, but not done over 7 miles for a while.

I think this race is going to hurt alomst as much as the marathon !!

Peter - bit like you, staying at a mates house so looking forward to the post race beers !!! 

• Claw, I remember when I did my one and only marathon in 1998, I really lost the running bug for months. I think it can really take it out of you. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine soon.
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Same happened to me after VLM last year. The marathon had been my end goal for so long that after I did I felt like whats now, whats the point?

It does take a while to get back into things but it will happen.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Looks like I will be taking part! Lost so many weeks training due to a bloody cold but over the past week some sort of miracle has taken over my body.

This time last week I was doing a very slow 10k but shattered by the end. After doing a 8 & 9 mile on consecutive days over the bank holiday weekend, my target for this morning was 10 miles but I managed 13.26 miles! image It felt great, tired towards the end but I had enough in the tank to carry on if it wasn't for time constraints.

How is everyone else getting on? Can't believe it's just over a week away, it's come round so quickly.  

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

Great news k8.  I had a very good run myself yesterday lunchtime so hoping for good things at St Albans. 

I ran the Fat Feet Woodland event on Sunday and did quite well for a trail run although I died a little in the last couple of miles.

13.26 miles and could have gone further, eh?  Sounds like you need to enter another marathon image

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

It was a slow 13.26 miles, about 6-7 mins of my half PB but I wasn't fussed about the time, just wanted to see if I could get close to the distance. Lovely start to the day as well.

Well done for the Woodland half, pleased with your time?

VLM has been entered but that the only marathon I'm considering at the moment, I could have done a little bit longer but another 13?! image

So as long as we're not struck down with injuries & the weather is nice all is looking good! Well apart from the hills image