Options

Active job and training?

Hi after completing the Edinburgh Marathon last year and vowing not to go near my running shoes again I admit it I'm addicted to long distance running. I have a new problem having previously trained for Edinburgh when I had an office job in the UK, I'm now in Australia fruit picking, Northern Queensland for about 8/9 hours a day 6 or even 7 days a week to qualify for a second year visa and for the money which is surprisingly good. I don't know how to train, when to train, how much to eat etc etc, it's like I'm learning to run again I went for a couple of runs of over 1 hour after work, felt fine but then sweated for over 2 hours after the run. How much do I/can I eat without putting on weight which is not good for long distances, I'm going to sign up for Sydney in September when the entries open in April.

Any advice from people in active jobs and no walking to the photocopier is not an active job is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Gareth 

Comments

• Options

Used to work in a factory, walking around for 8 hrs, plus doing manual labour, we were only allowed to sit down for 15mins twice a day. I was much faster then, was a lot slimmer, and I pretty much ate whatever I wanted.

Typical day was be at work at 6am, finish at 2pm, sit around for an hour, then go out for 10 mile run, home, tea, go to bed around 1am. Repeat. Do long run on Sunday.

• Options

Not answering your question, BUT best of luck for the Sydney Marathon Gareth, and with the training. I can send you the course map from my Garmin to help you out...where the hills are etc... let me know 

Oh, may I suggest you start training with power ade (blue stuff) because that's all they give out! image

• Options

Thanks for that advice and the best wishes, the course map would be really good image,  and the advice about the powerade, any other advice re Sydney marathon would be really hepful aswell thanks again.

Cheers

G

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I saw this when you first posted and meant to reply.

You'll get used to the level of physical activity that you do.

Scenario - you finish your days work knackered you don't have energy for much, food has little appeal all you want to do is sleep. You need to feed yourself, a smoothie or a shake. (it's easier than solids) Take your time, don't wolf it down. Give it time to settle before getting some rest. You should find that after 40 winks you have recharged your batteries enough to contemplate an evening though you'll want to do little more than take it easy, plan a decent meal and grab an early night.

After a while you'll notice that you don't need to rest when you get in from work, that a big meal sounds appealing and you have the energy to go out and have fun.

So - decent meal planning. Make sure that your meals are healthy, avoid ready meals, fast food, quick sugar hits (fizzy drinks, biscuits, cakes, sweets and the like). Your meals throughout the day should be healthy and provide long term energy.

Next - sleep. Ensure that you are getting enough sleep every day. 8hrs as a minimum. esp if you are adding training into the equation.

Training - when is best for you? Before work? After work? Lunch time?
    You know the deal, start slowly, build up slowly. Maybe even 2 days a week. I think an hr to begin with may have been too much. You need to let your body adjust and you are doing quite a lot of exercise which will help with endurance.

As for training with energy drinks - some folk use them, others do not. If you are going to rely on what is given out at the event then it's best to know that your body can handle it so get used to training with it - ie taking it on longer runs. I've never used any so am no expert but I think drinks are easy on the stomach than gels - which I know I can't use.

You need to listen to your body, don't overload it. If you feel hungrry stick to low GI food that will release energy slowly throughout the day. Oh - have a light snack after each run, again if you can't face eating then a smoothie or recovery drink is a good option. Add protein to your smoothie - eg raw egg, protein powder, flax seed, raw cocoa etc.