Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Hello Jaime, well done with the weight loss. 

I'm sure getting back into running will make you feel much better, mentally and physically. 

Hubby and I did our early morning plod today.  Walk 2 mins / run 1 min x 6.  Followed by a 20 minute cycle ride to work.  Feeling a bit tired now! 

Had a couple of back twinges yesterday, but it seems to be okay again now.  Thank goodness!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the thread Jaime - running is a great anti-depressant - won't go into my trials and tribulations over the past few years  but am running again after 12 years away from the sport and feel great - the weight is coming off and am getting faster so good luck to you on Sunday when you start again

Have increased my time now to 25 minutes a day with a longer one on Sunday and gone back 12years and am eating loads of carbs now and feeling pretty good. My goal now is to get up to 30 minutes per day and start talking in terms of miles not minutes - there was a time when 30 minutes was 4/5 miles so there is a big incentive -

Looking to introduce speed work - possiblely at the end of April or middle of may once I have adapted to the extra time on feet -  

The last two days have been great with the sun coming up out of the sea down near clacton where i am running it really can be a beautiful world and little Grendel wants to come out running too!! (he is 8 in two weeks time!!)

So good luck all and catch up soon!! 

• Second run 3 mins / walk 1 min x6 today.

Felt really good again. Tried consciously to slow down on the runs and it felt much better, Surprisingly I seem to have covered almost the same distance.

May have to stick to the run 3 / walk 1 for a couple of weeks as I have a weekend coming up when I won't get the chance to run at all and the beginnng of next week looks difficult.

Keep at it everyone!

• Thanks so much for your support everyone!  I have also started a blog to try and keep me going too.

I am really looking forward to my run on Sunday now image  I am going to start with 2 mins running and 4 mins walking, for half an hour in total.

I will keep you posted and look forward to hearing how you are all doing too.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi Jamie, welcome to the thread. Well done on your weight loss. I find running such a stress releiver, never feel worse for a run!

Thursday 7 April - 2.79 miles

Went a bit quicker today, didn't mean to but just found myself running at a better pace. Made sure i was still running easy by talking to myself. Lovely weather for running this evening! Hope you're all enjoying the sun!

Week - 5.48

Month - 8.13

2011 - 41.72

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Good luck Sunday Jaime hope it all goes well - and have a great weekend everyone.

Have just decided to move the running up a notch and add some speedwork in next week - so have found an improvers 5K schedule on this site so will see how it goes.

It starts Monday.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Sunday 10 April - 2.81 miles - 7 minutes run / 3 minutes walk

Another beautiful morning, ran along the Great Western Canal yet again, its such a nice place to run. I kept it as easy as I could today yet my pace increased again, which fills me with confidence as I know I’m getting fitter with each run. Looking forward to next week now upping it to 8 minutes run/2minutes walk. Hopefully I’ll break the 3 mile barrier too! Hope you’re all enjoying your running!

Good luck with your new schedule Grendel, let us know how the speedwork goes!!! Last speedwork session i can remember was not something to cherish!

Week - 8.29

Month - 10.94

2011 - 44.53

• A tough session yesterday.

I was feeling a bit tired before I went, then I think I set off a bit too fast. Plus my phone (I use an app for timing my intervals as my watch won't do it) decided to adjust it's volume to minimum during my second 3 mins of running, consequently I didn't get the alarm. Thinking 'this feels a long 3 minutes', I glanced at my watch and reckoned I must have been running for more than four minutes, so I dug out my phone, worked out what the problem was and then tried to work out how best to get back on track with my timings.

I never really got it back together again but I reckon I still managed to run for the correct number of minutes.

Won't be out again until Wednesday due to work commitments. That will be another Run 3 / Walk 1 x 6 session. I was then going to step up to the Run 5 / Walk 2 part of the schedule but I may repeat the level that I'm on for one more week to make sure that I'm ready.

• Hi guys,

I was hoping I could come and mingle.  image

I would like to get back into running after a lot of injuries.  To cut a long story short I trained for an IM in 2009, arrived at the start line injured and only made it halfway round.  Was on a real downer, felt such a failure and gained over 2 stone in weight.  Had months and months of physio and osteopath treatment for all sorts, from a misaligned pelvis, to trochanteric bursitis, general massive muscle imbalances etc etc.  I'm hypermobile and need to maintain an element of strength training to keep imbalances at bay.

Since then I lost 32lb doing non-impact cardio like spinning, rowing plus general strength training and remedial exercises I was given by physio.  But I'd really like to run regularly again.

Part of my problem will be to reign myself in and not just go out and knock out 6 miles and come home limping (done that a few times).  I really like your approach of easing yourself back in a really structured way, but patience isn't my strong point so I thought the thread might help me if you'll have me.  image

• Hi Nam, welcome.

Very well done with the weight loss.  That's a great achievement.

Personally, I'm finding it quite easy to reign myself in because I'm so absolutely petrified of damaging my back again.  I had such a horrible time while it was bad and I don't want to go through it again!

Are you going to follow a structured programme?  That's probably a good way of making sure you don't do too much too soon!

Sue

• Hi Nam,

you mention six miles in your thread - is that a distance that you used to run regulalry and would normally want to run?

What stage are you at at the moment? If you feel that running for thirty minutes is within your capability and that you would not be overtsretching yourself, then you could have a go at the One Hour Runeer (OHR) program. It builds up gradually fover a number of weeks rom running thirty minutes to running for an hour and assumes that you run three times a week. If you stick to that program and are not tempted to push ahead too fast, then it may be a good way of make sure that you don't overdo it. Just google 'One Hour Runner'.

There are also a number of other schedules about that build from 5k to 10k over a number of weeks.

Let us know how you get on.

• Thanks for the welcome. image

I used to run HMs as my longest distance (seems a loooong time ago now) and technically have a VLM place for next year (deferred from this year).  image

I have had the odd evening when I really 'fancied' a run and can head out for an hour but then I really feel it up to 2 days later as I'm just not used to high impact anymore and I need to give myself a slap and tell myself if I want to do this properly I need to start again with little shuffles like three or four two milers a week or something... not not run for ages and then go out for an hour... 'tis just stupid and must reign in the bruised running ego... image

I had a look at some of Hal Higdon's schedules which look very gentle and allow me to combine it with slots for other cross training.  If there is something I've learned it is that with my mechanics, I HAVE to keep up strength training or it all goes to pot.

• Hi everyone, it is Jaime.  I changed my name on here in case you are wondering who the heck Mrs Dash is!!

Hi Nam, well done at deciding to start again.  An IronMan eh?  That is some serious training you must have been doing!  i have done several sprint distance triathlons and loved it.

Anyway - I did it!!!  I did my run on Saturday instead of Sunday because I was raring to go!  I had an app on my phone which really helped me - 5 mins walk to warm up, 1 min run, 1.5 min walk x 8 and then 5 mins cool down.  It was so hard but I really enjoyed it.  i cannot wait to get home from university now to get changed and do my second run! 

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoyed the lovely sun that we had over the weekend! 

• Well done Mrs Dash!  image

Yes I found the IM training really hard on my body, and to be honest I went into it with faaar too little base to be realistic but hey ho, live & learn.

And then trying to run again with an extra 2 stone didn't do my mechanics any favours either image, so I really want to do this properly this time.  Start small, be consistent.  Be sensible.

I just found out that if I start this week and do the Hal Higdon 5k schedule, followed by the 10k schedule, followed by the Half Mara schedule it brings me spot on to 16th Oct (date for Cardiff Half)…  He then has a base-maintaining winter schedule, followed by a novice mara schedule that could take me right up until VLM next year.

So worried to get injured again.  I can’t cope with another year of broken dream, hundreds of pounds of physio and gaining 2 stone when broken.  In many ways it would be so much easier not to try. image

• Right... HalHigdon's newbie 5k plan has me down for a gentle 1.5 miles today and I shall shuffle those after my spin class tonight. image

How's everyone?

Rivvy Runner, that's Rivington Pike isn't it.  image  I have many nice memories of walking around the pike, Winter Hill, Two Lads etc. I take it you live up there?

• Oh come on, Nam!  Don't talk yourself into giving up. 

When it feels as though you're only making small, slow progress and you feel really impatient, that's when you need to remember the frustration of the injury.

From my own (very limited) experience, I'm quite enjoying holding back and doing a lot less than I feel I can.  I picture myself building strength every time I go for a gentle run, and know that I'm doing it slowly and surely, and that can only be a good thing.  

Patience!!!

• Morning everyone, wondering if I can join in?

I've just had a 5 month lay off due to having caught viral myocarditis last November.  I was preparing for my first mara in December when I noticed that things were going wrong (not just in running). I do HR training, so was immediately aware that my HRs were all out.  I went to my GP who misdiagnosed it as asthma, told me that I was probably stressed out in my runs which is why my HRs were so high (image) and sent me away.  Long story short, he was wrong, things got a bit grim over Christmas and I've been benched ever since awaiting recovery.

I've tried the odd run in the last few weeks, but my HRs were still far too high.  I tried it again yesterday and things, hopefully, are now settling down.

My plan is to spend the next four weeks doing a recovery programme and then start a mara programme as I'd like to get back on track, possibly doing the New Forest in September, but I'm not entering just yet!

I've also put on a lot of weight over the months - I've now got about 1 1/2st to get rid of. . .image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    .Well done everyone good running over the weekend – and well done Mrs Dash for getting started – and welcome to the newbies on here.  Now to Nam, I can quite understand your predicament and impatience.  I started jogging again just after Xmas as part of a lets lose weight (doctors orders) and get fit again.   Now up to 12 years ago, I used to train and race regularly, 70 miles a week plus and two and three sessions a day – all my training was done at 6:30  minute miles or quicker – I have started and stopped a couple of times over the last year but tried to run to fast and or to far and each time gave up again rather despondent (because in my head I am still that same person as I was 12 years ago – but I’m not) I DECIDED THEN THAT I WOULD BECOME A BEGINNER and started the 1 minute run walk – now to be honest I found  taking anything more than a minute recovery was to long so gradually built up the jogging and reduced the walking over two months – until I can now jog up 30 minutes a day (about 3 miles) I think in terms of minutes now rather than miles.  I did to a 5 mile race at the end of March which I did in 50 minutes 41 seconds – which was 23 minutes slower than my best time (which I did find hard particularly when I got to 3 miles a time when previously I would have been finished)  But I am running, I am losing weight and what the 5 miles has given me is a target and an incentive – I don’t have the time now to do what I used to do so although I have deferred my VLM place until next year like you,  as I was rather arrogantly thinking that with a year of training I would get under 3 hours,    I now know that that is unlikely based on current times and fitness – so have decided to concentrate on short races with a goal of a 5 mile in September and 10K in October – so stick with it – take it easy and you can then expect to get back so that you can do those 6 miles or run for an hour.
  • Thanks Sue and Grendel for the wise words.  Yes patience is where it's at.  It'll be a learning curve.  image

*waves at Jeepers* image

I shifted a couple of stones since Oct/Nov last year and it was nowhere as hard as I would anticipate.  At the beginning it feels massive when you're thinking "I've got THAT MUCH to lose..." but with a bit or portion control, not going mad on the carbs, just making better choices and moving again, it'll soon come off in dribs and drabs. image

• Hi Nam *waving back* How are you - haven't seen you in ages, nice to see you again.image  Nice work on the weight loss - you just keep losing it!!  How's Calfie, BTW?  And what news on job front?

I was going to suggest a plan, I'm doing the J L Parker (HR training) 4 week scratch plan, then if all goes well, I hope to start one of the HH mara plans too.

You're right about the weight stuff, so I'm dividing it into 7lb segments - not so bad that way.  I've been very impressed by seren's achievements, so . . .time to get goingimage

• erm... he broke up with me 2 weeks ago...  that took 7 pounds off me in a fortnight...  not quite the way I wanted to lose it but shit happens... we're trying to stay friends... see how that goes.  Everyone (friends/family) were as surprised as me... was a bit out of the blue... but looks like he looks for different things in a relationship than what we had... or something like that...?? I don't really know to be honest?!  I guess you can't help how you feel.  I am sad about it... very sad.  But will try to stay friends.  Sometimes people need a friend more than a girlfriend.

On a more positive note I shuffled 15mins after my spin class last night. image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Nam - many years ago found that running was a great way to deal with stuff like that - ended up fitter than ever -

Well done on the shuffle - not bad after a spinning class.

Well I did my speedwork this morning, the schedule said 4 times 1 minute brisk with a 2 minute walk recovery after a 10 minute warm up - Well I duly set off the weather was brilliant, running along the sea wall where we live, the wind turbines turing slowly in the sun coming up - turned bacak and did my 4 minutes but reduced the recovery to one minute - felt great so did excatly what I wasn't going to do and added a fith interval - still felt great at the end of it -   (although subsequently checked my schedule and should have had a rest day today and done the speedwork tomorrow ) 

so am well pleased this morning. 

• Nam, you've got mail.

5m D + D @ < 70% HR.   Stretched afterwards, but feeling it a bit nowimage.

I used to run (back in the Dark Ages) as part of netball training, but only really got into it a few years ago with No 1 Child who entered  us in one of the Sports Relief miles.  It coincided with a nasty divorce, so proved a necessary stress-buster as well as something I enjoy. 

• Jeepers you have mail too. image 

Morning all. image

I went for a half hour shuffle yesterday and it felt really good.  My running fitness is a bit shite and every 5 mins I really had to reign myself in as I couldn't maintain the pace I wanted to run at, so I need to learn to pace myself better, but I just enjoyed being out there.

I will be good and not do anything over half an hour for a couple of months until my lungs and legs get used to running again. image

• That's good news Namimage

All I can say is OUCH - DOMSimage

• Hubby and I went out at 6.00 this morning for our run/walk.  Almost straight away my back, thighs, knees and calves started hurting!  By the time I got back I was in quite bad pain, and luckily I've got a day off work today because my legs feel so heavy and sore.

This is a bit of a shock, especially as I've been finding it so easy up til now.

• Jeepers wrote (see)

All I can say is OUCH - DOMSimage

Yes my calves are saying hello to me this morning too.  image

Sue... sorry to hear about the agony... image... maybe some stretches and some Epsom salts in a nice bath??  image

• +1 for stretching - works wonders, Sue.  Also, having had bad plantar fasciitis when I first started, stretches help prevent this.

This just about covers it  !

A lot of injuries occur in early months due to tight muscles, so stretching post run is really important.  I used to spend at least 30 mins going over each bit and stretching it back out - feels great afterwards.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Rivvy Runner, I know how you feel when you go off too quick, especially when you’re not 100%. Doesn’t half make it a tough session! I would definitely recommend repeating a week of your schedule if you don’t feel ready to step up, I did it myself, and the second week gave me lots of confidence.

Welcome aboard Nam, although an IM is still a pipe dream in my mind I know what it feels like when you set off on a 10k run when you’re not physically ready for it, it bloody well hurts! Well done on the weight loss and good luck on your comeback. You’re not alone in lacking patience so you’re more than welcome here! I’ve followed Hal Higdons schedules in the past, I particularly like my walk breaks during runs and the fact they can help you keep injuries at bay and finish races strong when others around you are really struggling.

Good for you Mrs Dash, it’s a great feeling completing any run and when you can’t wait for your next one you know you’re on the right track.

Welcome Jeepers, all the best after your break. I too have a few extra pounds to shift and slowly but surely they’re coming off!

Grendel, it must be really tough to have been running so quick and so far to be back where you are now so I can only take my hat off to you and the fact you’re prepared for the long haul to get back somewhere, anywhere near where you were before. The times may have gone and the 70 mile weeks (I’ve only ever got to 26) must seem superhuman now! But fair play to you for getting back out there! Sue G, that doesn’t sound good!?! I think a few days rest, followed by a gentle session would be a good idea? If you still hurt then I would see someone professional, no good carrying on like that, you will do more harm than good. I would seriously recommend you start stretching too, dynamic stretches before and static stretches after!!!

Wow, seems like lots of new people on here lately, which is great! The more the merrier I say.

Tuesday 12 April - 8 minutes run/2 minutes walk x 3 - 2.9 miles

Nice evening run again along the canal. Started okay first 8 minutes, second run of 8 minutes felt great and the third even better, getting quicker each time according to my watch. Think I went a little too quick though for an easy run so will try to take my foot off the gas. It didn’t feel quick and I know my pace is getting better because I’m getting fitter but compared to my old race times my easy runs should maybe be around 30 seconds to 1 minutes per mile slower. My ankle was aching a little during the second phase as was my knee but it disappeared very quickly and has been fine since. However, this morning my ankle was a little sore around the achilles area so I have had a stretch lunch time and its vanished. I must stretch my calves and Achilles a little more regularly to keep things going smoothly! Off for my Thursday run in about 30 minutes time as I have a day off and I’m going to take advantage of a nice cool afternoon to get my run done early.

Week - 2.9Month - 13.842011 - 47.43
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Sorry that there a re a few aches and pains about today, Sue you mentioned that you went out at 6 o'clock this morning, was that straight out of bed or were you able to get the muscles moving a bit before you started

I go out at that sort of time - as otherwise am not able to for the rest of the day due to other commitments -  but when I re-started running just after Xmas, I did initially find various aches and pains which I out down to not really having time to warm up - but have now got used to it .

From my own point of view - nice easy 30 minutes this morning, I did think I would struggle a bit today after yesterdays 'speedwork' so it was a pleasant surprise -

Someone posted a couple of pictures which included me on FaceBook yesterday from an art workshop I attended with my son on Monday - and for the first time in years I was able to look  and think - yes I can see I have lost weight -

I know I was unhappy with the time I ran last month at the 5 mile race I attended at Braintree, but looking at the picture on FB, I can honestly say the last 4 months have been worth it.  So the message is don't give up but take your time -