'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Columba also thinking of you. xxxxxxxxx

all the best to Paris and Brighton marathoners and just hope its a bit cooler than today. Registered 24 down south and just about scraped around 5,5 miles. guess London will have those shower things at least. Am matching with son for London, he swore he'd never do it again after a disastrous 2001 effort and just hoping my slowness will match his somewhat lacking of miles this time! We may not even meet either because different starts. Still positive thoughts, positive thoughts.......................

happy tapering.

• Very hot and sunny here in the New Forest. Did a steady 8 miles in the afternoon, comprising running on grass verges and trails. I was glad that I decided to wear my cap to protect my head and eyes. I hope that it is not too hot for the various marathons!

Good news today for my Brother in Law. He is now in remission, after just 8 weeks of treatment. The Consultant advised that it normally takes 12 weeks. He is now awaiting a bone marrow match, and in the meantime, will have treatment once a week, instead of three times.

• JJ great to see your form is back

Columba  hope mum is getting better

TE all the best to BiL.

Best wishes to Brighton runners

Club last night, 'trains' and 4x 800m, 2min recs, 4:15,4:4:13,4:15,4:06.

Much x training on the allotment.

• JJ,i'm pleased to see you are up and running again.

Redhead, not much change in my condition today, i went for a gentle run round the cricket field just to test the ankleand it did not appear to make it any worse, However i have decided to seek the advice of the local rugby clubs physio.

She is apparently a chartered physio who has a reputation for patching up rugby players and sending them back on to the field of play. So i have told the narce lady, patch me up and get me out on the streets of London !  image 

Best wishes to you and all the Brighton contingement i hope you have a great day.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Last short plod for me today. 3 or 4 miles at an easy pace <GULP>

TE, that's good news about you BiL. May the healing process continue xxx

Columba, thinking of you and mum xxx

JJ, well done. Not sure about the floppy shorts though. I hope nothing flopped out of place image

OT, very wise to see the Physio. They are very good at taping things up to get you through, as I know from experience image

Helen, hope we spot eachother on Sunday but in case we don't, good luck to you and sproglet. You know you'll get round even if it isn't pretty.
  • Thanks everyone for your good wishes for my Brother in Law.

Another blazing hot day and I did a hill rep session comprising 2 miles warm up and warm down and 10 hill reps approx 300 metres on grass and loose gravel. The last time a did a similar session on that hill, was when the gound was frozen. Quite a contrast from freezing, to very hot!

I hope it isn't too hot on Sunday for the Brighton Marathon and Sunday week for the VLM. for all you marathoners.

• good that he's continuing to make progress.

All packed now for my flight tomorrow, except for my running tights - John's out training at the mo and I think he's nabbed 'em by mistake!

• Seen the Physio lady today and feel a lot  better now, she went through a detailed series of checks and questions on how the injury occurred and then began manipulating the ankle with fingers and thumbs and brought me some instant relief. She said there was nothing to be too worried about, because it was a trapped nerve and nothing serious. I  was well impressed with her record as she has been selected to work at the Olympics next year. I never realised our local rugby club had such an experienced physio on their books.

She advised me to continue with the ibuprofen and go back next week for a final check up and a sports massage.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for your good wishes and prayers, which have clearly been heard. Mum still in hospital 40 miles away, which is a decided pain, but out of "emergency admissions" and in one of the wards. Haven't seen her for 2 days (working, yesterday) but will do tomorrow. They're still doing tests so not going to discharge her yet. 

TE - very good news about your brother-in-law. 

Redhead and OT - very good news about your injuries, - there'll be no stopping you now! 

JJ - clearly you too are back on form. 

Helegant - how old is Sproglet (assuming she's not old enough to mind her age being told)? 

Reading this thread, I'm getting almost as excited about Brighton and London as if I were doing them myself. Well no, perhaps not quite that excited... 

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Columba, oh that is good news. Hope the tests don't show anything bad. Take care xxx

OT, yippeeeeeee, that's great news! Mary Massage Lady is also much in demand at major sporting events (Wimbledon, Rugby etc etc) and I feel blessed to her her virtually on my doorstep - well 12 miles away isn't bad.

JJ, enjoy your gardening days. With regard to flappy and floppy, you may recall a certain photo in the London marathon magazine of a Kenyan running FLM a few years ago which clearly illustrated the danger of something floppy appearing from underneath something flappy!!!!! image

I'm feeling very wibbly about Brighton as I have no idea if my knee is going to behave all the way round so I'm going to start slowly and build up if it seems OK. We shall see. Please don't let it be too hot though.

IW and Tony, hope to see you both there.
  • Thats good Columba, onward and upward..xxx

re Brighton, its still v. warm today and the tree pollen is in full flood. If you have any problems come armed, OH is streaming and I dont normally have a problem but am feeling it.

Really hope it cools down, actually got sunburnt yesterday! Bonkers.

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Columba and TE - good news. image Families are worrisome, but worth it.

Redhead and OT - up and at 'em. image

I also saw the physio - yesterday. He confirmed (and fixed) a sacro-iliac displacement that I had suspected and did a bit of gentle massage on the ITB. All set for Sunday now.

Sproglet is 'almost' 30. She will be able to say that she did her first marathon while in her twenties - just.

• Columba, good news about your Mum. I hope she continues to make good progress.

Thanks again everyone for your good wishes for my Brother in Lawimage

Today was even hotter than yesterday and the sweat was pouring into my eyes. It stung more than usual as I had applied sun lotion, which soon melted. I must remember to put vaseline on my eye-brows. I just ran 6 miles this afternoon, which was enough. I hope that it is cooler on Sunday for you Brighton marathoners.

• Columba, i am pleased that your mum continues to make progress, best wishes.

JJ, are you running at London ?

Redhead, I wish you well at Brighton and send you strenghthening  vibes for the knee.  Although the weather forecast suggests warm weather image 

I'm going to be a nervous wreck waiting to hear everyones race reports on sunday, i've got to go to work on sunday but my mind will be in Brighton.image

My ankle feels better, i have some stretching exercise to carry out on it several times a day and while it feels a little weak i am feeling confident i'll be okay.  I even get to run on it tomorrow.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Cool and misty here first thing; ran nearly 6 miles. Got very warm later in the day; visited Mum and discovered she's being discharged tomorrow. However, though the chest infection is cleared up she doesn't seem very with-it at all. May be just disorientation due to being in hospital, but suspect there's more to it than that. Her visual perception seems odd, and she can't seem to co-ordinate her hands with what she can see (or perhaps, with what she can't see but should be able to).

No 2 son coming home for weekend. Expects to arrive about 2.00 a.m. so I shan't be waiting up for him, he can let himself in. 

• Columba, good news that your Mum is being discharged and I do hope that she is only diisoriented through being in hospital.

Today was again very hot, 21 deg. and I ran 11.75 miles. I remembered to apply vaseline to my eyebrows and had no problems with my eyes. The trails in the forest have now dried out and are rock hard. The ruts left by the tree fellers a few months ago are still very prominent and make the going very dodgy.

I'm looking forward to reading the reports from the Brighton Marathon, and Tony Hodge will be 'phoning me with details of his race. I will post them on is behalf. He will do his own write up later.

Did anyone get the winner of "The National?"

• JJ,  Oh thats a little disappointing, i was looking forward to saying hello again on Blackheath.

I can hardly believe how much my ankle has improved in the last 24 hours, the rugby clubs physio has worked wonders on it, i,ve followed her instructions and gone out and run a gentle 4 miles tonight and as i relax afterwards i can just feel a slight twinge.  I feel confident now although when next sunday comes round chalking  up 26 miles, will be a different thing to a gentle 4 !  image 

• sorry to hear that JJ. OLd Timer which start are you at, theres some off the VLM first timers meeting up before to offer support.

good to hear about your mum coming out Columba, she may be fine in familiar surroundings, fingers crossed. 

Hope the racers are ok today its shaping up hot again.

Just going out at 10, race start time, to do a gentle 8ish. No Garmin. Just trying to keep head positive in last few days.  PLus work off a few carbs. Then barbie with son who is VLMing with me for last lists and we're good to go. Terrified, but good to go!

• Tony Hodge rang me this afternoon and advised that he had run the marathon in 3hrs 35mins. He was going well until mile 23, "when he blew up." That was an excellent time in such hot conditionsimage.  He will do a write up in a day or two, when he gets back to Gernany.
  • Glad that your mum is being discharged, Columba, and hope she is less confused when back in a familiar place and routine.

Really good news about your BiL Terence.

Hope all thread runners have survived a warm Brighton marathon. I've heard from a couple of runners I know on other threads, and they've been ok, despite finding it very warm.

Great news OT! Glad that you are now feeling optimistic.

Just over 9 miles across the forest on Friday evening with the club - rather further than I was expecting. It was dark by the time we got back to the cars, so glad the coaches knew where they were, as I didn't!
  • Thanks for the update Terence - well done Tony!!
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Brighton was a blast from start to finish but I didn't even contemplate going for a pb as it was too hot for this redhead (I suffer from breathing difficulties in the heat) so instead I just plodded around and soaked up the atmosphere. Also, my main focus, as always, is VLM next week and I didn't want to make myself poorly by pushing too hard as I've got back-to-back interviews and media stuff all next week image

On the way round, I did an interview with The Arrow radio lady who I spoke to a couple of weeks ago and had some photos taken for The Argus, standing by the special wall they had built just after the 20 mile mark. There were foam pads you could hit! The photographer took some photos off me a couple of years ago when I was knitting on the back of a tadem and he spotted me so called out. Great fun image

Another high point was running past a lady who shouted "thank you for running for Alzheimer's - you're running for me" as I went past. It took a moment for me to register what she'd said but then I went back and had a lovely chat with her.

The last mile was fab and I speeded up from the 13 minute miles I'd been plodding along at since the 1/2 way mark (it had been 11 mm up until then but that was the point I realised I should slow my pace down as the heat was getting to me) back to 11 minute miling. I felt as if I was flying and gad the biggest smile ever on my face image

Right, off to soak in the bath with a large glass of red wine image Will read back later!
  • Well done Red - glad you enjoyed the experience!
  • Red, Well done with your race and speeding up in the last mile. I bet not many achieved that. I hope you recover sufficiently to get a PB in next weeks VLM!
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    TE, there definitely won't be a pb at VLM but there might be a new Guinness World Record for my knitting (but I don't know if I'll manage it)!