Groin advice please

Last Sunday (5 days ago) I ran my first long run (9k) after running the MK 10k a couple of weeks ago. The run was fine, but I felt some tightness in my right groin immediately afterwards. Stupidly I neglected to ice it over the next couple of days, but I did avoid my normal Tuesday night run.

By Thursday (yesterday) I was feeling OK again, so I went for a short 3.5k run. Again, the run was fine but the tightness returned as soon as I stopped. This time I have been icing it.

My questions are: should I be waiting longer before I start running again, even if the tightness is not present? Is it OK to run if I feel up to it, as long as I ice afterwards?

I'm training for the Bupa London 10000, so don't want to be out for long, but am a bit nervous after reading some groin horror stories on here. image

Apologies for the slightly noob question, but I'm relatively new to running, and have been lucky with injuries so far.

Thank you.

EDIT: I should have said that I do stretch after runs.

Comments

• 119 views and no replies, come on guys 'n' gals.

Stew, I'm no expert by any means.  All I can say is if I had a niggle then yes, i'd probably give it an extra few days of no running.  On my next run i'd probably walk for half a mile or so at a brisk pace to warm the muscles up then pick up the pace.

I would certainly continue with the stretches but take it real easy with the groin stretches.

Like I say, i'm no expert but I hope that helps and best of luck with the race.

Mick

• Thanks for the reply Mick. I appreciate your advice, expert or not, as I am new to this and didn't know what was best.

I'll take it easy for a while. I am orienteering tomorrow (Sunday) and I'd been planning to run as much of it as I could. I'll walk it now I think - it's a simple course - and see how I am after that.

I'm feeling a slight pull in my lower abdomen too, so I'm definitely going to take it easy for a while.

Steve
  • If you don't rest adequately, your adductors will get worse, maybe to the point where you become one of those horror stories you've been reading about. The longer you repeatedly irritate them the more damage you will do and the longer they will take to heal. Runner's, experienced and beginners alike, tend to try and run through pain for the sake of making some race they have planned - it nearly always ends in disaster.

Don't judge what you should do based on planned races or set ambitions - listen to your body because it's actually smarter than you and it's doing it's best to give you a heads-up. You got a reaction after a 9K run then even after a couple of days rest you got a reaction after just 3.5K. You might not like what it's telling you but ignore it at your peril. So forget about races - there'll always be races to run and things to aim for in the future. I've lost count over the years of how many races I've had to ditch to avoid making a bad situation worse. 

As regards dealing with it, there are short term and long term actions. In the short term,  you clearly need to rest more. You should take at least a week off, preferably two. I would also try anti-inflammatories (like ibuprofen) as well as ice, while you are resting and start to gently stretch the adductors (not when they are cold) - don't overdo the stretching - keep it gentle and stop if it hurts too much. Longer term you should focus on good hip flexibility and core strengthening - there's ton's of info on all this stuff on this forum and on the web.    

Many of us have been in your position. You just have to accept these things - it goes with the turf. Keep your chin up. If you follow the standard advice and you still get repeated bouts of this then you might need to look at your biomechanics - but hopefully it's just a case of you doing a bit too much too soon.  

Good luck.

Regards, Groz.