Back to the bench where your clothes were stolen

What 10ish easy I hope
Why winding up
Lyrics Enjoy your seaside jolly in Brighton Gobi

Off out now somore later.

Goodluck to you racers today

Comments

• Morning.

Thanks guys - 8th lady - with only the winner of my age group not younger than me - though she was significantly faster!

Good luck to today's racers, looks a little cooler than yesterday which is probably best for the Brighton runners at least.

mava - it's your body - but please keep London in mind when making any decisions.

What:          an hour easy on the bike.
    Why:            recovery
    Last hard:  the bike course yesterday
    Last rest:   8/4

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics were The Who, Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting).

Today's lyrics: no idea.

What: Hopefully the 45 mins that I didn't do yesterday
    Why: Need the longer runs but my legs won't let me
    Last hard: Friday's hills
    Last rest: Dec 09

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Well done lmuh
    Good luck all racers today!!
    Did mine yesterday,
    Was meant to be a two lap 10k but due to works going on it ended up as a 6 loop 6.31 miles. Flat. Hot. Feet got sore! But I was not expecting much other than to go under the hour and was pleased with 55.51.
    WhAt counting lengths for 2 friends doing a swimathon, I will, run later
    Why they asked and are so nice I said course!
    Last hard yesterday's dizzy race
    Last easy last Monday
    Have a nice day all!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • G'day

5 easy miles in a bit followed by Gym circuit with core. Last visit to the gym.

Good luck to all racers. Hope Mava is ok!!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all .

Well done to all yesterday's racers, good luck to today's.

Me: rest

Why: haven't for 2 weeks, can't fit anything in today

Yesterday did 3 miles in 29 mins...am getting faster!

Made a bit of a boo boo yesterday.  Get a text at 1ish from a friend saying "I'm here, let me know when you get here".  I thought I was meeting her today...oops.  She seems to have forgiven me though, and we're meeting today!  I felt so bad...

Anyway, off for a course in Bristol for 4 days, so you won't see much of me on here.

Have a good week all.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Well done Wabo, at first glance thought you ran this morning and i thought thast was early but great you ran better than you'd hoped and it was hot.

What: 5 miles
    why long run -  its all relative
    Last Hard. Last week sometime
    Lyrics: Do i ever
    Last Rest 12 days

Good run in the sunshine it was warm but felt good. In fact i could have ran an extra mile but didn't

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon.

Lyrics...yes. I'm sure Alehouse relate to the title now that he's retired.

Waba - pleased your happy with yesterday's race.

For myself it was another 30mins steady, stopped once at 20mins to stretch out hip flexors. Legs were a bit heavy from yesterday work on the glutes. But all in all at expected.
  • Afternoon all,

Interesting interview with Chris Chataway in AW.  He ran a 5k WR of 13:51 off 20-30mpw and,beat Kuts and Zatopek who were doing 100mpw. Although he did complain about the extremepain of racing!

Does this suggest either the others weren't hurting themselves as much, or Chataway could have run much faster off better training.  Discuss. 

• What: 10k
    • Why: Colouring in the pretty flowers
    • Last HArd:  Today
    • Last Rest:  Friday

Could be a bit warm in Brighton.

Have a good one.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Thats always a hard one AF with no definite answer was he training optiminally for him could he of run faster if he ran more who knows. Roger Bannister or should that be Dr Bannister from what i read didn't run huge mileage more due to the long hours he put in studying.

LMUH missed you yesterday well done  to you a very nice birthday present for you

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    AF - re your comments on Chris Chataway. I was posting the other day about interval training in the 50's. Both Chataway and Banister (also Brashier) were coached by Franz Stampfl who used almost exclusively interval training. Both Banister and Chataway ran the reps quickly and probably had much higher VO2max than Kuts and Zatapek. Certainly Chataway had a lot of basic speed suited to 5000m (he was a sub 4m miler) but lacked the basic levels of aerobic conditioning of Kuts and Zatapek. That's probably why he was so distressed after his 5k race. Also he sat on Kuts' shoulder for almost 12 laps of that race - getting the benefit of a relatively easy ride.

This lack of basic aerobic conditioning was one of the flaws of the over adherance to interval training. This had a significant impact on Banister. In 1952 he went to the Helsinki Olympics as a strong favourite for the 1500. He trained in expectation of running two rounds (semi and final) but discovered that he had to run an additional round. By the time he reached the final he was a spent force. On the other hand that old plodder, Zatopek won gold at 5k, 10k and Marathon.

Banister and Chataway really were the last of the corinthian school of gifted amateurs. That's not to say they didn't train hard, it's just that it wasn't the most important thing in their lives even at the time they were training. banister took more pride from his career in medicine than he did from that early evening effort at Iffley Road.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

What - 7.5m
    Why - Mid run before VLM
    Last hard - yesterday
    Last rest - Fri

Take care

• A'noon.

Rest day today for me.

Another cracking day up here again.image

More interesting reading from AF,Tom and Pammie. Cheers you lot

• Thanks again guys - still smiling this end.

Glad you had a good race Wabo.

AF - I think there's a lot to be said for the ability to put yourself in the hurt box - as evidenced by James Cracknell.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

evening

flying visit to say

What: Brighton Marathon
    Why: because it was there
    Last hard: that would count
    Last rest: all last week

Pretty pleased with today's outing.  As I said my plan was to be conservative and to guard the knee.  I had a good feeling about my knee when I walked downstairs pain free this morning.  The exercises have obviously done their job.  I had no pain in the knee at all during the run and (touch wood) it seems fine now several hours later.  

I pretty much stuck to the run 3 mins/walk 1 min.  It took real discipline to start walking when no-one else was but I had the last laugh towards the end as I noticed a few people who left me standing as I passed them later.

It was hot, hot, hot.   Fortunately there was loads of water and some showers too.

I finished in 4:55:13 which is not a PB but is faster than I managed Rutland last November.  My first half was just under 2:26 and my second half was just over 2:29.  I'm really pleased with that as I've never paced so consistently before.  I may try 4/1 at London which should be a bit easier as it is much flater.  We'll see.  I have two ultras in July and I will need a run/walk strategy for those and run until I can't run any more and then walk the rest just won't cut it!  

My legs aren't too bad but I had forgotten that lots of walking (and heat) gives me blisters on my bunions so I need to think of a prevention for that.  Probably multiple compeed!   

• Mava - Delighted that you got thru it and it went well. Roll on next week!!
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Mava - I'm very pleased that you got through it and the knee held up. I did think that you had made the wrong decision and and glad to have been proved wrong. Personally i'm not a fan of run/walk especially when racing, but that may just be me. Sorry about that but I've just come off a disagreeable post on another thread image

Hope the legs are loose tomorrow - hope I can say the same for myself

Regards
    Tom....the Saga Lout.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Bravo racers: LMUH, Wabo, Mava. Really pleased that you found some positives given the restrictions the knee placed on your running.

Sorry Tom, I'm another devotee of run/walk. I think it depends what you want out of running, and the races you do enter. I can take pride in consistency, as indeed mava has, even though I have never been able to take pride in time.

Me? Having a lovely time with son and daughter-out-law. Practicing for the LAMM in sunny Dartmoor, watching raptors overhead. Today was day two. Yesterday was 13km, a handful of summits, long stretches of tussocky ground hidden by slippery dead grasses. 3hr 40. Today was 20km, less up and down (mainly along ridges) boggy as well as tussocky. Fuelling issues which made it impossible to enjoy one easy 2k of gentle down. Sorted that, and was able to run again on the downhill bits, but only just - pretty much comprehensive cramping. 4hr 30. Still, the D course in the LAMM is no longer, just lumpier.

Another half day's practice before returning to flatland, just for good measure.

Wonder how the Parisians got on.
  • I think Chataway smoked too........I don't think I'm imagining that.

He was the first ever winner of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year, which pops up in quizzes from time to time.  

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Tom: I like the Saga Lout tag! 

What: only 20 something minutes again today
    Why: legs still not fully recovered from Friday, and calf niggling again. "Nearly injured" springs to mind. So there's nothing for it: tomorrow will be a walk/run strategy, just to please Tom.

Last hard: Fri
    Last rest: 2009

Well done Mava. Glad you are unscathed.

Re smoking, Ron HIll was not averse to the occasional smoke, and Alan Simpson, 4th in Tokyo 1500 was a heavy smoker. Pretty unthinkable these days.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Wabo - good 10k you must be pleased.

AF - horses for courses - if he tried to run 100mpw he probably would have broken down. I have a relation who was a very good 800m runner, he had enough speed he didn't need all the extra miles - he was a race horse the extra heavy miles broke him down.

Tom answered your question perfectly - "by the time he reached the final he was a spent force - (why because he lacked endurance),  while the old plodder won 5k, 10, and the marathon".

It's like anything, getting the balance right, knowing your abilities and weaknesses and working on them.

Stickless - good to see you still going well.

Mava - congrats - well done. The next bit is going to be tricky, getting yourself up for London. Just make sure you look after your legs and your feet.

Plenty of gentle massage, and go for short walks, let your legs come back, maybe a 20min - 30min jog middle of the week, then a few more short walks, and you just might get away with it. You have done so many long runs, you have heaps of endurance, you just need to let your legs to be able to run for you.

Good luck.

What: Short walk with daughter and gdaughters and Mae - suggesting it to Mava, (hope it works for me)image

Good running everyone.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alan Simpson......local hero of ours!! When I was a kid I lives in North Notts. My other hero of that era was John Whetton - he once told me that I had potential...ah well.

Stickless: re run/walk, each to their own - I hope you weren't offended by my comment. It's fair to say that despite the occasional high points, consistancy has been sigularly lacking over the years.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Tom, I used to run for Rotherham second claim, so knew Simpson and Pete Elliott quite well. Also knew Whetton quite well as he was President of Uni Cross Country Club (a post currently held by myself, and formerly by both Ron Hill and Andy Carter. Spot the odd one out!)

I was serious about the run/walk tomorrow: if it is the only way that I can get a long time on my feet I will do it...used this a few times in January and it was a help, not least in terms of concentration.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Mava glad you are ok and hope you continue to be over the next few days. Great result from you today

Fraid i'm another fan of the run walk didn't used to be  but last 2 years or so i became one and more to do with the old German Coach Van Aaken than Galloway. Certainly got me running the longer distances over the last year or so

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, when I was in my teens i ran for Worksop Harriers. I was part of a smalltraining group coached by a local secondary school teacher - a guy called George Gandy, who went to much better things. The top runner in that group was a 15 year old called Terry Colton....do you remember him?
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Just a thought about core strength and injury proofing. Thinking back over the "running" we did over the last two days. The footing was always challenging. I began wondering, if stats have ever been done on correlations between injury prone-ness and training for some proportion of the time at least on rough ground. It was undoubtedly tough running, but I have the feeling that ankles and knees got a lot of unusual exercise. Wonder if it could be useful cross training as injury prevention strategy.

Just thinking of walking trips in the Rockies as a teenager, with tents and other heavy stuff being carried by horses. I asked how on earth horses managed up trails where from time to time I used hands and knees. Answer: you leave them to pasture for a year on a rocky hillside with a savage slope. They toughen up. Would we?

(I could do with a spot of pasture anyhow, even if rocky and tilted, I think.)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Yes, I remember Terry Colton: was my age group and usually won the north mids league.

You had better get in contact with him: he is the Competition Manager for 2012 Olympics (he is based in Birmingham and runs the major indoor athletics events there including the Worlds a couple of years ago. One of my friends has quite a bit to do with him as he has been the medical officer for some of the events TC has been responsible for).

The other name I particularly remember was Barry Moss from Notts AC. I struggled a bit as a youth/junior: was often last scorer in XC, although sometimes didn't manage that! Ran in a number of English Schools Cross Country, (and inter counties) but never on the track. I guess I was a late developer with my best years at Uni and just after.

And I've met George G a few times too!

Meant to say, the 12 stage yesterday looks to have been one of the most exciting ever with the lead changing hands between 3 or 4 clubs over the last 3 or 4 legs.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, where were you at Uni, I was at Birmingham 1966-69, surrounded* by the likes of Malcolm Thomas , Andy Holden and Pete Griffiths. *Surrounded is a bit of a misnomer as I was never in the same league as those guys!!

I also have a dim memory of bumping into Bud Baldaro when he was a student at Aberwystwth, though thats many years ago and may be wrong.

I think you've stayed much better connected with the sport than I have over the last 40 years. I had a break from 1978 to 2002 were I hardly trained and competed never.

I don't remember Barry Moss, though I was always in awe of my Notts AC contempories. I think that Dave Wilcox was their top man in those days (800m runner) and of course Dave Cropper - another quick 800m runner, of Sutton In Ashfield, same as Whetton.

I always felt that Peter Elliot never got the recognition that he deserved, being overshadowed by Steve Cram .

Do you remember Carl Thackeray - a truely awesome runner.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Tom: Manchester 72-76. There is a strong old boys network, at least in part because of the touring team that I started in 75: Alehouse Academicals, hence my forum name. Two of Andy Holden's lads have left Manchester in the last couple of years. Used to be friendly with his sister too...unfortunately not friendly enough! Have always had quite a few Brum connections too as several clubmates or others from local clubs went there. Mike Deegan in particular. And yes, Carl T was pretty awesome, but not someone I knew. And I would agree that Pete E didn't get enough recognition, although I am a little biased.

Currently watching Worksop's finest (Luke Donald) who also has some Rotherham connections!