Brighton Marathon 2011

1248249250251252254»

Comments

• Just a few quick things before I sign-off from this thread.

Someone (I think GiantElf)  - I did a -ve split 1:59:40 / 1:58

FB - I used Endurolytes (my only source of salts) on Sunday and they worked a treat 1 every half hour.

Thanks to everyone for all the support advice etc of the last 10 months or so, very helpful and much appreciated. I will single out one person who contributed so many individual comments I don't konw how she did. Thanks Julia T

Bye!! See you on the 2012 thread although I doubt I'll be running.

• Aaaaaah thanks folks, I am truly touched by everyones comments. Something so horrible turned out lovely in the end image
  • Thought I'd just pop in to clear the Powerade bottles, pick up gel wrappers, and clear up the general mess left behind.

Unfortunately some people use online forums to vent their frustrations out in life. Fortunately many people on Runner's World forums seem to be genuinely supportive of one another, at whatever levels of athlete we are. The former will use their virtual persona to heckle, intimidate, belittle. The latter will use the forum to meet like-minded people. The former are virtual personalities that don't matter in real life. The latter are the people that could have a positive affect on your life.

Remember, until you've met, your online friends are virtual, making them virtually be whatever they want to be.

I know of many friendships/relationships that have been formed via Runners World forums, and still maintain it's a positive place.

One of the people amongst the better list is Julia T who is one of the nicest, kindest most thoughtful people I've met  on here, not to forget Toby, Vee, 2btiny, Spen etc.... and thanks to FB and Dips for their worldly advice.

NLR I'll leave you to decide which group you fall in. By the way, your photos are showing some slacking form for such a fast runner... I wish you luck in beating your 2008 marathon PB, but it gets harder as we get older....

• Thanks Tracy. please pass on my congratulations to all the Benfllet runners who successfully managed to complete the distanceimage
  • All but one actually Mark. One guy fell ill and had all sorts of checks in the ambulance it seems... so we were a top performing team image All the best for the future, and try not to upset too many more people....
  • Tracy B if are paths don’t cross again the i wish you all the luck in the world and hope that you active everything you set out to do hope you and Mike G are very happy together as i said before you have come such a long way since the early days of last years from when a 10 mile run was a daunting task

To a lady running Triathlons in which i wish you every suck success your race last year was a testament to courage, determination and may i be so as bold as to say sheer bloody mindedness you to have been an inspiration to me and others on theses threads

When i look back over this year’s thread and see how much it has grown  since that first year when we were a small bunch weren’t we in an out of every bodies lives  you, me, Julia T, Veester, Essex E gale wonder how Australia worked out, 2betiny, spen, TraceyG, FB and dips and a couple of others i forgot

Look after Julia T for us as you say she has a heart as big as anyone i know and has always been supportive of any one fast or slow so again i wish you every success in whatever you set out to do

• james will yoy be jioning us on the 2012 thread

• Toby image thanks and the same to you. Also an inspiration to the 2010 and 2011 threads and never giving up! i just need to be fixed now so I can perform better. End of May is next hospital appt (as long as doing the mara hasn't but my body into a worse state for the thyroid stuff!).  By the way, Essex Eagle is loving Australia, and did the Canberra marathon the same day we did Brighton - he has some adventurous races out there image Some great friendships have been formed. Thank you for all your support with both years, and may see you on another thread in the future. Best wishes Toby image
  • I have to finish this thread (which I wasn't planning on doing) with the most surreal experience tonight..I was lucky to be asked by niketown runners who i have run with for 2 and a bit years to go out on their promo event this evening in london for 2.3 miles...

..alongside Paula Radcliffe and Steve cram.....very nice bloke Cram...showed enormous concern about two guys who weere kept in overnight after the race that he had kept track of...showed he keeps tabs on what went on...

Paula..well what a stride..was lucky she took it easy tonight...what a great week!!  Bit surreal running in regents park with the two of them...oh and trying to keep the other 100 runners behind at bay!!

• Carlo best of luck and hope all your running gose well
  • Nice to see GENTLEMAN SPARKIE at the Expo.There are prilent.I Hope there will return next Year.Why now Pasty at the Beach connected with Grand,Hilton to the Brighton Centre towards the Brighton Finish .Longest  imageMarathon Party Ever!
  • even though i wasnt at my best on marathon day it was still lovley to see lovley brighton, and i couldnt have managed it only for the supporters! i dont think i will be doing brighton next year but to those that do best of luck, i think i will do a few halfers this year...
  • I've now officially retired from marathonning - the 45th was just one too many. First time ever that I couldn't run it all, in fact I walked well over half. Road running is just too hard on my old bones. I'll stick to triathlon in future.  Good luck to all.

Byeeee!

• WOW , WOW WOW!!!! Well done to each and every one of you!!!

Been itching to get on the forum to see how you all did but we've been away since last Friday holed up in our beach retreat with no mobile reception - bliss really but I did think of you all on the Sunday! It was a scorcher everywhere wasn't it? I managed to get a signal to ring my mate who was taking part in the marathon and she told me how tough and incredibly hot it was.

First of all SOYCD, Russell N, Tim and Stephen - a very, very, very, well done on our PB'S!

LN - so sorry to hear your race didn't go as planned but do you know what, you crossed that finish line and that show's amazing willpower and determination. Be proud!

Julia T - Same goes to you! It may not have gone to plan but you got a very respectable time and you achieved what you set out to do which was to run a marathon. Well done girl!

JGS - Sounds like you had a great time! So chuffed that all that training paid off for you.

James - Well done!!!!!

Fortysomethingandfit - hope you're ok and recovering well and you are a marathoner indeed!

Sorry I haven't got the time to read a week's worth of posts but I am so proud of you all (and jealous!)

I'm a great believer in fate though and I think Brighton was just not meant to happen for me. Regardless of the foot injury (which is improving btw - no crutches!) for the past 10 days I've had the worst cold I've had in a long time which has culminated in a horrible hacking cough which I still can't shift a week later! I've gone from feeling the fittest I've ever felt in my life to the unhealthiest I've ever felt in a short space of time! Also, I am a terrible hot weather runner so I would have struggled I'm sure on the day. So I'm not going to enter Brighton next year and will concentrate on Liverpool in October with a HM and a couple of 10K's on the way.

Well done again. How did SPEN do by the way??
  • Just managed to read some more posts!

Ladyplodder - BRILLIANT!!
  • northern lass sorry to hear that you won't be at Brighton alot of us our on the Brighton 20 12 thread now pop in and say hello
  • Thanks Northern Lass - almost a week later and I still can't believe I managed to crack the elusive 4 hours.  Hope you heal quickly, the training goes well for Liverpool and that that marathon is the one which was 'meant to be' for you.  I'm going to keep the mileage ticking over for a couple of months while I do my final year of Law exams then ramp it up again for Abingdon, which surely cannot be as hot as Brighton.

First things first though and another early start tomorrow for London.  Not in the least envious at the moment but I bet I will be when the runners start piling across Tower Bridge image

• Just sat here watching the London Marathon after my 2 mile bimble this morning. It was pretty warm even at 9am, hope all the runners will be OK out there.

Thanks for your kind words NL. I'm taking at least a year off from marathons to get my mojo back. Good luck with Liverpool and hope you get over your foot and cough soon.

• Thanks everyone. Yes Toby nipped over to say hello to 2012 to see where everyone had disappeared to!

Also just been watching London - incredible to think that the fastest man completed a marathon in the time it takes me to complete a Half!! Amazing!

Will put my name down for the ballot for the 3rd time on the 26th - bet I don't get in AGAIN!

LN - you'll come back stronger I'm sure.

LP - good luck with your Law exams!

Sunny in Devon today as it is everywhere. BBQ time!
  • Thanks Northern Lass. Good to see you on the thread again. Brighton was tough in the heat. I've got two black toes nails to show for it! Anyway good luck for Liverpool. I'd love to be able to do it.... Maybe next year! Hopefully you'll be out running again soon.
  • Hey, where is everybody??

Sheezzzz, head off for a bit of much needed R&R for a week and everyone has disappeared image

• Well what happened was, all those people who swore 'never again' have gone and entered again so we've regrouped on the Brighton 2012 thread. Hope you had a nice week image
  • Julia T

I will enter every year from now because its better then Skegness.More Cleaner and Private Beach for the Nudeisty.I will be back.

• Good Luck with Liverpool, Northern Lass. Enjoy your down time-guess its just your body saying 'Phew, I can have a bit of a melt down before I'm expected to do anymore work!'

Little Nemo- Hope your mojo is back and raring to go, soon.

See you all in the 2012 thread.

• Having just done London for the second time I really fancy Brighton next year. The family are wondering how easy it is the move around the course to spectate. London is really easy with the underground system .... any comments??
  • Get on it Sarah,it is very easy to navigate all on foot.