Newbies FIRST MARATHONing in 2011

124»

Comments

• Congratulations Legend!  Really pleased for you. I was there too. First ever marathon completed, and what a smashing day it was too. I don't know about you, but I couldn't fault it for my first marathon. Compared to the hype of the Bath Half it was lovely and chilled out with a really nice atmosphere, and I thought the marshalling was superb, not to mention the scenery!

The aim was to finish, although from my training runs I thought under 4:30 might be possible... Did it in 4:25:12 so I'm a happy bunny. I went really, really slow at the start, then settled into a pace of roughly 10 min miles which I held until about mile 21, then for the last lap I slowed it right down, seemed to work for me, and I walked for only two minutes of the race. 

I have to admit I owe thanks to a chap from somewhere Liverpool way - I believe he was called Joe, who had run several marathons before. We were pretty close to each other until about mile 21 when I slowed down, but following him stopped me from setting off to quickly, so cheers to him! 

Looking at the results, there seem to be agood two-hundred that didn't finish the race, which I thought was quite a lot. I reckon the unexpected heat may have had something to do with it!

What are your post marathon aims? Will you continue running seriously or are you planning on having a break? I haven't decided yet...

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Marathon-wise I'm going to apply for the London marathon next year but i know my chances are very slim, so I'd be the Great Welsh Marathon again if I wasn't succesful with London.

Thinking of maybe doing the "Wales Half Marathon" in Tenby - it's only 7-8 weeks away and apparently it's quite hilly so will be a challenge for only my 2nd ever half after doing Cardiff last year.

Considering either Bristol or Cardiff half marathon later this year... or both?! They are 5 weeks apart so definitely doable after the sort of mileage put in over the last 4 months or so. There's also the Roman Run which seems to be a favourite amonst South Wales half marathon / marathon runners - it's a 16 mile run from Brecon to Merthyr which I'm guessing is quite challenging and hilly!

Did a 10k "reindeer run" in Nov last year in Margam Park which I'd do again this year as well. I think having an event every 2-3 months will keep me motivated to continue training and keep the fitness up. 

Congrats on your time. Sounds like you got your tactics right and that’s the sort of time I would like in the future if I train more and get it right on the day. What’s your post-marathon plans?
  • Sounds like a good plan!

I'm not really sure yet. In the short term I intend to cut back on the running a little, and get back to the gym as I have lost a bit of weight that I need for dinghy sailing. However I hope to keep running 3-4 times a week to stay on top of things then step it up again if I go in for another race.

There is a nice looking marathon in the lakes in July that could be fun, I quite like the idea of small, countryside runs. I don't think I could cope with the London etc - even the hype of the Bath Half had me shaking like a leaf at the start! 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next, and well done for the Great Welsh. I dunno about you but I'm still buzzing from it! 

Robin

• Sounds like a good plan!

I'm not really sure yet. In the short term I intend to cut back on the running a little, and get back to the gym as I have lost a bit of weight that I need for dinghy sailing. However I hope to keep running 3-4 times a week to stay on top of things then step it up again if I go in for another race.

There is a nice looking marathon in the lakes in July that could be fun, I quite like the idea of small, countryside runs. I don't think I could cope with the London etc - even the hype of the Bath Half had me shaking like a leaf at the start! 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next, and well done for the Great Welsh. I dunno about you but I'm still buzzing from it! 

Robin

• Well Done Legend and Robin on losing your Marathon Cherry.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. 

My update Had some achilles probs at the start of the year so I am still building up the mileage slowly to do the Nottingham Mara in September.

Planning a 1/2 mara in June followed by the Liverpool Tri.

Good luck to any first timers in the VLM on Sunday