Communal garden when renting

Got another property viewing this afternoon.... looks quite promising and bigger than the last which we wrote off as being too small.

Thing is, it's got a 'communal garden' which I'm slightly dubious about.... one of the main reasons we're moving is because it's so noisy where we live now - yet is the communal garden just going to mean equally the same amount of bother?

When I first saw the title 'communal garden' I instantly thought, kids, dogs, barbecues... nightmare.

Yet the estate agent has assued me it's mainly professional people who live there but he's on a mission to let out the place so I'm not sure whether to trust him...

Anyone rented a place with a communal garden before? What's your experience?

Comments

• It probably will be. I'd advise the people sharing not to let you...
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

a communal garden will be a great place to hold the royal wedding street party.

great chance to meet up with all the neighbours.  

• Looks like a great place to move to...sounds like the sort of place where everyone chucks their keys on the table on Friday evening...go for it...have funimage
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Autumn66 wrote (see)
    Looks like a great place to move to...sounds like the sort of place where everyone chucks their keys on the table on Friday evening...go for it...have funimage
    she said communal garden, not ladygarden.
  • Go round there again at the weekend and see if anyone is actually using it. Try different times of the day to see what the place is like... in evenings etc as well. The key point is don't ever take an estate agent's word for it.
  • Its not for you D2D - you'll get wound up about it somehow. Keep looking.
  • No, don't bother.  Hate anything shared - but that's just me.image

However, on a more serious note, guessing you're not that sure otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question.  Had a shared garden in my first flat - the sheer bliss when I moved into my first house, with my own garden. . .

PS just think, if you wanted to have a birthday party in the garden next year, you'd have to invite the lot, or put up with them wandering in and out. image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Get a cat to shit in it for you and see what repercussions it suffers at the hands of the current occupiers.  If the moggy cops it, you know it's being well policed.
  • All depends on the neighbours I guess... I live in a flat with a communal garden (shared ownership) and love it.  Get along with the neighbours (all similar age and young professionals, hardly any familes with kids) and everyone seems to be relatively reasonable about the noise levels... but I guess it can go horribly wrong if you end up with the wrong kind of people/ too many screaming monsters...
  • I'm sure once your neighbours get to know you it'll be ok and they'll welcome you with open arms
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I absolutely LOVE mine, but its award winning, we have fabulous gardeners and its big enough that it can happily fit everyone in without any bother. Plus its key access which keeps out the riff raff and it has a tennis court image

It costs an extra £100 a year but is well worth it imo.

• We had a communal garden when we lived in Dulwich and it was lovely - a great chance to meet with other flat holders in the block. Maybe we were lucky as we were all professional 20/30-somethings who got on really well. We even had our own communal veg patch in the garden, which worked brilliantly. It brought us all together and we had BBQs etc in the summer months, and built snowmen (very rude snowmen!) in the winter. I guess it depends on where you are and what the neighbours are like though. I love having my own garden/allotment now and living in the countryside, but at that time in my life, it was ideal.
  • I own a house with a shared garden and it's a blooming nightmare. One of the houses has taken over pretty much half of it and get arsey if I hang washing out. It's not nice seeing your neighbours skanky boxer shorts hanging outside your kitchen window. On the plus side, seeing that is great for your diet image
  • a commmunal garden would be greawt, imagine, all those "real" people you can ask about your trainers, injuries, crisis etc

i'd say go for it image

• Hmmm, an estate agent has told you what you want to hear, should you trust him.... tricky ....
  • Loon. wrote (see)

a commmunal garden would be greawt, imagine, all those "real" people you can ask about your trainers, injuries, crisis etc

i'd say go for it image

Hahahahahaha
  • You've seen the garden so you know whether it's like Curly's and possible to enjoy it without being crammed in with your neighbours or not. If you can't picture someone else having a few friends in it for a BBQ without massively annoying you then steer clear. Based on what you've said about neighbours in the past it does seem an odd choice for you to consider.
  • Double post, bad RW.
  • People might smoke in a communal garden image
  • Saffy sweety pea wrote (see)
    People might smoke in a communal garden image
        I would if I had to share with D2D. I might even turn up wearing a Kappa tracksuit............image