New to forum...just completed my first 5k race :)

Hey all! image
Im new to the forum, and I've been running for roughly 2 months now image (something i never thought i could ever do)

Just completed my first 5k race yesterday in 26 minutes. Can't believe I did it! The feeling afterwords was great! I think for the first time it feels I've accomplished something!
Cannot wait for more events now! image

Comments

• Hi Samantha,

welcome and well done!

That sounds like a very good time for a first 5k. If I do that in my first 5k in a couple of months (hopefully) then I'll be chuffed to bits.

I've only been on the forum for a week or so (this time round) and I've just taken up running again after a a few years.

I'm sure you'll get all the advice a support you need to take your running to the next stage.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Dont forget to check out parkrun.com to see if there's a free weekly 5k anywhere near you.

Well done on your first one down image

• You took the words right out of my mouth, curly... parkrun parkrun parkrun.

That's a brilliant time, Samantha, if you're new to it. Well done. There's every chance you will improve that by some distance as you keep going and get better.
  • Thanks everyone for the support image

Il deff check out park fun, thanks curly and peter!  I'm definitely going to do more 5k races, but I would love to do 10k

Rivvy Runner, i hope your 5k goes well when it comes round, just wondering what training you doing at the moment?  Really want to take my training up a level image

• Wow!  I've been running for years and still haven't gotten under 30!  But this year will be different.....!

Well done Samantha and thanks for the Parkrun heads-up, Curly & Peter, there's one near me....

• Hi Samantha,

I'm following the RW beginners' eight week schedule. I'm only on week two but it's going OK so far.

With regard to taking your training up a level: There are more experienced on here who I'm sure will offer advice on that, but the people that do the C25K also do a One Hour Runner (OHR) program designed to move you fup rom running for 30 mins to running for one hour.

Try this link:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2FYNtc/mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html

Good luck.

• Well done Samantha.....I have just done my first ever race today (suspect I have a few years on you as I a 46!). Manager to get round in 33 mins and was really pleased with that, given that I only started running in January and although i have lost over 2 stone since then, still have a stone or so to lose really.

Was a nice day - but the course was cross country most of the way and had a few hills so think with a bit more practice and a different course I may manage to get under 30 mins, may even try a 10k, although I never had any buring ambition to race - started running just to continue the weight loss programme.....loved the buzz of the race and the people....certainly made it easier than sessions on my own!

• Hi Samantha, well done, like you I recently ran my first 5k and loved it, did it in 25 mins! was really pleased, now entered a 10k in June, hope I manage it have started training for it, now quite sure if doing the right way, running a little further each week then have 2/3 days rest,  but managed  6 miles last week (included some hills), just going to run 4 miles tomorrow.

good luck

• some people are just naturals. 26 mins is awsome image well done!!!!!!

i too done my first event run in 2 years today. the air ambulance 5k in northamptonshire if anyone was there?! image

unfortunately i forgot to time check before and after the race so ive no idea what my time was but i think it was about 35-38 mins.

want to do 10k's again so a months' hard work coming up to get back in shape.

well done again image

• Webby - see my earlier post - I was there - must have finished very close to you! Was a good day. The hill at the very end was a bit of a killer lol!