'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Columba, i've got a couple of trail races next Autumn but road races are over for me.

My splits for London are quite interesting, it shows how the heat and fatigue gradually ground me   down.

1, 10.53

2, 10.49

3  10.42

4,  10.44

5,  10.51

6,  11.20

7,  11.20

8, 11.07

9  11.25

10, 11.23

11, 11.25

12, 11.25

13, 11.25

14, 11.24

15, 12.00

16, 12.23

17, 12.09

18, 11.57

19, 12.22

20, 12.21

21, 12.38,

22, 12.41

23, 12.37

24, 12.10

25, 13.05

26, 12.33

26.2   2.29

Official time 5-07-38   At miles 9 to 14 i had almost perfect poise !

• Morning all.I am suffering this morning.The DOMS has really kicked in!!!
  • OT you were amazing to keep that up! Im not too bad today and no major bad bits so very happy really. Poor old legs doing ok! Its 28 in Wimbledon today so we were lucky! Just been to a funeral and took medal off for first ime! And inspite of recorded on film at mile 8 swearing never to do it again, think I'll do it again!
  • OT well done in the marathon! Sorry to hear that you are retiring from road running. 
  • HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

John O'Groats to Lands End = JOGLE the other direction is LEJOG

Evening all,

Well done to all runners, and healing vibes to all the injured and crocked.

"the best route is to train hard for a 1/2m " funnily enough JJ... I have been thinking something very similar over the last couple of days. Given that 'hard' training causes me injuries I'm aiming for 'enough' of the right sort of training over the next 9 weeks.

The hospital advice has been followed and I haven't run for a week - I still haven't shifted the virus completely but am *much* better than I was and breathing is normal (phew). Today I went back out for the first time , and I really enjoyed 3 miles of running with sproglet (aka PinkSparkie), followed by a walk exploring the local area. Finally, just for fun, a couple of 'run as fast as you can uphill' intervals - just because I could image Breathing is much under-rated image

• Well done to all VLMers.....  Running the distance is a great achievement let alone when the sun is shining.....

I am inspired now so will be trying to get a place in the ballot for next year!  Thought I had left marathons behind me but but me thinks this runnin malarky is for life not just for Christmas! image

Do you think I have enough time to train.  I only have 362 days to go! lol

JJ,  Give me five years and I shall challenge you to a marathon!

• Also, my belated congrats to VLM finishers - Well done! It looked very warm there! Sorry I missed you Red on TV - but I wouldn't even watch that TV programme if you paid me! I must seriously talk to Terry (TE) about his taste in TV viewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My race 'trilogy' of races in 3 consecutive weekends comes to an end on Easter Saturday when I run the Paderborn Half Marathon. After running 42K in the Brighton Marathon and then 31K in the Hermannslauf 31K trail race, my legs are 'shot to pieces' so my mere 21K on Saturday may be slower than last years 1:29! The day won't be helped with a 23C sunny weather forecast and the stupid race start time of 3pm!!!!!!!!!

After this race on Saturday, I'll then not race until mid May - the Army run Gutersloh Half Marathon!
  • Tony, I shall not race until 5th June, our club's Olympic distance triathlon, and dedicate it to Charlie (see below).

Terrible news from our tri club - on Monday one of our M65 club members had a bad cycling accident while on a training holiday in Mallorca with 2 more of our seniors. Yesterday he died from his injuries. He was a very nice man, friendly, always smiling, a gentle sense of humour, and deprecating about his race performances. I feel for his wife.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I am so full of cold today and my chest is all gunky. YUK! I knew it was lurking 'cos I felt grotty before Brighton but have managed to suppress it until now with caffeine, zinc, vit c, echinacea et al but it's got me good and proper now those 2 marathons are out of the way. Never mind, plenty of time to recover before the next one (well, 3.5 weeks actually!) image

IW, so sorry to hear your news. What a tragic accident.

OT, welcome back poppet. So sorry I couldn't come to meet you but we'd waited as long as we could outside the pub and I had to go and do GWR stuff. You did well in that heat and the throng of runners was worse than ever this year because people started walking even sooner than usual. Can't say I blame you for giving up the road running as I much prefer off-road running. Can I interest you in any of the Marathons on the South Downs?

Kiwi, what time did you do - I just know it was speedy!!!!!

JJ, my feet are on Facebook image

Digit, that's about par for the course. On The One Show the 4 of us sitting behind the sofa were supposed to get 1.5 minute interviews but the producer changed everything and I was the only one who got any sort of mention - at least my charity was named. The people from GWR were furious with the show because they had transported all those runners there and they didn't even get a mention! In any radio interviews I do I insist that my charity is named and people often contact ARUK after they hear me speak as it's easier than giving out a long internet address. If I'm able I will give out my blog name 'cos it's silly and people remember it and I have a link for donations. I've found that people google me too which will lead them to my donations page if they really want to support me. It's blimming hard work though and often feels like an uphill battle.

Helen, glad you're feeling better.

Wabbit, at long last I have a guaranteed entry to VLM 2012 image

Sorry, I can't remember anything else I've read!
  • Marnin' all

I shall be ready and awaiting next week for entry into VLM image

ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE!!!!! 

Sounds like we have the three mature musketeers at the least for the 2012 VLM

AKA 

JJ - Aramis, Redbonce - Porthos & Wabbit - Athos

Redbonce, I don't envy you the task of mastering knitting on horseback!!!

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Wabbit, I've already knitted on the back of a tandem!

<looks out of window at horses and starts thinking.................>
  • Perhaps you can train the horse to trot on two legs and knit with two.  What a record THAT will be image

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/Gallery/Nemo_SchH068_0.jpg

Columba - this is Nemo doing attack work. He's found Paul the "baddie" and is barking at him.  When Paul moves nemo will grab his sleeve to stop him. Looks scary doesn't it? But Nemo is a lamb when not at dog club. He seems to have a switch in his brain that says "ok, now we're going to be serious" as soon as he gets to dog club.

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/Gallery/Nemo_apport_from_left_0.jpg

And here he is doing dumbbell retrieval.

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/Gallery/Apportsmall_0.jpg

Here he is again - he's a sweetheart really! Just not when he's at work..........
  • Wabbit can I be D'Artagnan? I will apply but if unsuccessful will go with the Orchid charity anyway.

Club last night. 'Trains' then 1:30,1:20,1:10 etc down to 0:30 and back up with the same recoveries.

As we are in an Olympic borough we discussed what we could do for the events around 1 yr to go to get the club publicity. Doing 366 miles in a 52 hour relay with each runner doing 1 hr was suggested. I'll keep you posted.

Red  A number of times I had TV presenters do pieces to camera on a Chelsea flower show display. They all promise to mention the name of the Society but rarely do it, or it gets cut by the producer. Every body in the media seem to me hypocritical and cynical.

• Hi all

very  sorry to hear bout your clubs loss IRON WOLF.It seems completely unfair .

I ran 2.37 REDHEAD,really pleased with that.I have the Riga Marathon on May 22nd,that will be a bit more relaxed.London was my biggie.Also targeting Berlin for another  peak race.  

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Wow Kiwi, that's very impressive! My next one is Salzburg in 3 weeks. It looks as if it's a small field so I shall be right near the back, if not last image

IW, Nemo has grown into a beautiful boy.
  • Thats a fantastic time Kiwi!

Today was unbearably hot and I just ran a fairly slow 7 miles.

• Thanks Guys and girls.I was pleased with that.However,it is all on the day.It doesn't always happen.Good luck for your Salzburg run REDHEAD.I was there many years ago with my wife before she became my wife.

A lovely city.you will probably do the sound of music bit and visit Mozartplassen.Very interesting.

• Errrrrrrrrr....... 'it is all in a day.  It doesn't always happen'!!!

This wabbit can assure you that it would NEVER EVER happen for me!  I can only but dream that sort of running time.

Well done Kiwi.  You certainly can fly!

[Limbers up with vocal chords]

Climb every mountain, search high and low
    Follow every by way, every path you know
    Climb every mountain, ford every stream
    Follow every rainbow, till you find your dream

I thank you image

• Yes indeed, that was a great time kiwi, even at my very best I was more than an hour slower
  • You have a wonerful singing voice RABBIT !!! ENCORE!!!!!!
  • I have been known to shatter a glass or two Kiwi. image

LO Wolfie woman, hope you are well?  Love the doggie but is there much call these days to retrieve dumbbells?  I would have thought thieves or mass murderers would be more useful image

I can't help but remember a song you used to sing online that required a thwack, thwack here and there???  Give us a tune.

• Oh Nemo is a whiz at stopping the bad guys, wabbit. All part of formal training for dog trials, we have one coming up on 8th May, consists of 3 exams, tracking, obedience (dumbbell retrieval is part of that, on the ground, over a 1m hurdle and over an A-frame fence), and attack work. Have to score minimum of 70% in all 3 to pass, nobody wants a 70, it's like getting an E at school - only just a passing mark! I want marks in the high 90s for tracking and attack, we may be able to get in the 80s for obedience - but not if he sees a rabbit! Sorry!
  • Hi Redhead, the marathons on the downs, are you talking trail mararthons here ? 

No running for me until saturday, i went to footie last night and played in goal, there was nothing in my legs whatsoever.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

<puts in earplugs in case the Wabbit is wailing>

My cold is getting better and I'm feeling much brighter. Not running until next week though as I've earned a week off image

OT, yes. There are some crackers down here - Steyning Stinger in Feb/March, Three Forts in May, South Downs in June, Windmill marathon in July (a LDW event but they let runners play too), Firestation marathon in August, Beachy Head in October (not for the faint-hearted but a cracking race with a great mix of runners, joggers and walkers). There are probably more but my brain's a bit mushy at the moment.

Kiwi, I'm married to a composer and I love Mozart so we will definitely be doing the rounds of Mozart's haunts and the exhibition. Salzburg has been on our 'to do' list for ever! Vienna next I hope image
  • From a musical family REDHEAD ? You'll really enjoy Salzburg.Mozart plassen is full of his old manuscripts etc. All under glass and encased etc. as they would be worth a fortune,but certainly worth a look. The guy was a genius and ahead of his time. I got to grade 6 on the piano and all I could play at 5 or 6 years old was Mary had a little lamb! He was writing and composing at 5 years old,unbelievable.