Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Just got back from my run and although not the quickest i've ran that was without doubt the best run i've had since returning. Kept a beady eye on my pace, making sure it remained around 10m/m throughout and it felt so easy. Very, very happy! I also wore my new 'running specific' orthotics which i picked up earlier. I was very worried about them not being 'custom made' to my feet but they are £40 a pair (i got mine through the nhs), and have support in all the right places so thought them well worth a try and i am very pleased i tried them. My ankle/achilles feels great and my knee feels better than ever recently. Hope everyone is enjoying their running this week and managing to get out there.

Week - 5.69

Month - 16.65

2011 - 50.33

50 MILES UP FOR THE YEAR!!!!!

• just run, great to hear your schedule is going great. i read your first post and i have to congratulate you on your dedication. getting up early just to stretch must have been a killer.

as said on another thread i ran for the first time in 2 years today. 30 mins non stop and i still managed a strong finish. i have lost a load of weight and been playing squash for a month and i couldnt resist running any longer.

i was on a high all day after.

im going to do a 5k run on sunday. i get motivated by chucking myself in at the deep end lol image

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    thanks webby the bear, most of my mates thought i was mad even thinking about going back to running, said i should find myself another hobby! I don't have to get up early to stretch now and i am extremely glad about that! Well done on your run today and good luck Sunday, go for it!
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done everyone for their runs this week - did 25 minutes this morning which acording to map my run is 2.5 miles so will go with that, for the first time for a whole there was rain this morning but very still and warm - will have to drop the rainjacket now I think - but a bit of a confidence issue as i still feel like a big bloater and the jacket hides that!! 

Still little steps

am aiming for at least 35 minutes tomorrow as sunday will be a shorter runs (if at all) as my son and i and his friend are going to london to visit hms belfast (coincides with the VLM too image although not sure two 7 year olds will be all that interested!!

• Great to see the miles and time coming along and thanks for the welcome.

I haven't read all the posts, but skimmed over the first few pages ; J R, I also wear orthotics, I ruptured my tib post tendon in one leg a few years ago and the other one is just as bad.  I had reconstructive surgery on the ruptured tendon, but couldn't afford it (financially and practically) on the other.  Like you, I stretch every day, I don't stretch too much before a run, just enough to loosen the muscles, but I make sure that I do afterwards.  I do ankle rotations and stretches every day, to make sure that the tendons remain flexible - have you been given any?

I'm also an early am runner, I used to post on the "Silly o'clock thread".  However, having seen how many people struggled with the heat in last week's Paris mara, I'm going to try and make myself run later in the day (assuming that we get hot weather again this year!) so that I'm not only used to running in cooler temps. 

5m hopefully due later today.

• My calves are kiling.  I should have stretched more.  Ooops... live & learn.
  • Hi everyone!  I have skimmed through the posts and you all so motivating!  I did a run on Tuesday and it felt great.  I am so glad that I am keeping to me schedule.

Nam - your motivation and plans are inspirational!  Keep going, but I understand your worries over injuries. 

Just run - my non-running friends have never understand my passion for running.  Everytime I had a bad head, or an injury it was "see running is bad for you", but they were never to see the look on my face when I was crossing the finishing line with a pb, or when I managed to run up hills that I could only walk on before.

Have a nice weekend everyone xxx

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Spent the day in London visiting HMS Belfast - very frustrating as the marathon was taking place just 200 yards away and all I could do was listen to the crowds, watch the airships and the televisioncoverage helicopters! But even that was enough - if you can't be motivated on marathon day then when can you?

Personally ran a tired 35 minutes yesterday followed by a slightly more sprightly 20 minutes before setting out for london this morning.

Happy days

• Was meant to do 6m today, got to 5m and on way home, bumped into someone I'd not seen for 4 - 5 years, unfortunately, she wanted to talk. . . Called it a day after that as had stiffened up somewhatimage.  Trying hard not to feel imageat loss of pace, fitness and stamina, but. . .
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Nice easy 3.1 miles today (actually that is 5K isn't it) if Map My Run is accurate!!!  so well pleased as overall it equated to 9:48 minute miles!!

Things going the right way!!!

I know how you feel jeeepers missing a planned run is always a downer - am missing tomorrow as little Grendel's 8th birthday at his request - but a rest day planned or otherwise won't hurt.

• Good pace there, Grendel.

Plan for this week (taken from J L Parker "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot")

Mon 5m
    Tues 5m
    Weds rest
    Thurs 5m
    Fri 5m
    Sat rest
    Sun 5m

All done @<70%

And if I see someone that I know, I'll turn around and go a different wayimage

Hope Grendel jnr has a good day tomorrow - I imagine the excitement is building alreadyimage

• Morning all. image

A weekend in the great smoke for me supporting friends at VLM.

I am dreading next year.  LOL

3x 30min shuffles schedules for this week... and the next few weeks....

• Hi all

Evening - or morning - blimey I should go to bed (but then again I will still be working at this time when I go back to work so I might as well get used to it!

Can I join the party? I have never really classed myself as a runner, but in 2008 started shuffling, then got dragged around a 5k by the witch image (waves to Nam) and got hooked - there followed some other short (but all very slow) races, then a 10k in the summer, then a half marathon in October - followed by another one the following weekend (where I took a chunk of the previous weeks time) - are you getting the idea yet that patience and commitment are not really my strong point, either??! Then stepped back for a few weeks while working abroad as a charity exchange in Africa and was slow to get back into it and in hospital for a bit. In march 2009 I did a 5k with mostly walking, and then built up rather fast for FLM - if I recall correctly, the week after the 5k I collapsed my way around a half marathon, then 2 weeks after that did my first 20m race, the week after that was Reading HM and I put down a PB and decided to give FLM a try - with no real midweek running image

Made it to the start line,  fell over a bottle 3m in, went for an x-ray 2 weeks later to discover I had broken my foot image The best intentions of keeping up with non weight bearing fitness went out of the window. Several false starts later, with some races done out of bloody mindedness but nothing more than a couple of weeks of running, I started playing hockey, then dislocated my patella in November and was on crutches. DNS at Reading HM and VLM this year and I want to start over. 

Too many false starts and not building enough of a base. I get fed up, and push myself too hard, or decide I CBA and dont run for a bit and bam - there it all falls apart. Silly, because I miss having the fitness I had in Autumn 2008 and Spring 2009, being able to turn my hand to things and get on with them and enjoy them. Now I am so unfit that taking my dog for a decent walk is hard and painful. My biomechanics have never been good - I heel strike, knock my legs together, have had problems with my ITB and now have an unstable patella. So I need to do this gradually, without getting so fed up that I stop! Lots of reasons to miss runs and grind to a halt (I work sometimes slightly antisocial shifts) and have previously had problems landing me up in hospital (although when I am fitter that happens less) - but they are excuses

Time to get on with it!
    Bit of exercise at a gym trial day on Saturday
    Decent length walk with dog on Sunday (a little over an hour - a LONG time for me)

Shuffled tonight.

Progress....?!

• oohh You found us then?  image

lovely half hour shuffle at chat pace yesterday, fank yoo very much Dr Barking. image

• barking wrote (see)

I work sometimes slightly antisocial shifts

Bunny that's got to be the understatement of the year!!!  I would DIE if I had to do your hours and shift patterns!!  image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Welcome Barking

Second Interval session completed today - 10 minute warm up, then 90 seconds on then 60 seconds recovery times 4. The first one was a little bit enthusiastic - but remembered that it should have been brisk rather than fast so the remaining 3 fine. It was a lovely morning too, still dressed in London Marathon 2008 rain jacket so still over heating but I guess it all helps and I seem to be covering 30 minutes a day now when I go out. All in all the right direction.

• LOL
    Nam wrote (see)
    barking wrote (see)

I work sometimes slightly antisocial shifts

Bunny that's got to be the understatement of the year!!!  I would DIE if I had to do your hours and shift patterns!!  image

Thank you too Witchypoo image I enjoyed myself!

Ach the shifts arent all bad - you would manage it - it just gets antisocial and a bit depressing at times. Still, can't complain - especially whne just had a week of annual leave (not that I chose it, we get told when our annual leave allocation is, but it has fallen in some nice weather, makes a lovely change image )

Definatly the right direction Grendel

Wimped out of a plod today, but took Paddy for a walk to go and get bits and pieces in town (trip to chemist, collect stuff from vets etc) and extended it a bit, so did almost 4km. Not great, but it is still progress. My legs dont really love me very much after yesterday, but they are at least on vague speaking terms with the rest of me!

• Have realised now how bad the grammer was in the post last night. My mum would kill me image
  • Good to see that we're all sticking at it and getting there - slowly but surely.

I was away in the Lakes at the weekend doing a bit of hillwalking so wasn't able to get my runs in.

I've decided to do a couple more sessions of Run 3 / Walk 1 x 6 before moving up to the next level.

Went out last night , i tried to slow my running right down so that I felt more comfortable. It felt really good to have energy left.

One more session of this on Friday and thn it's up to Run 5 / Walk 2 x 4.

Keep at it.

• Nam wrote (see)

Right... HalHigdon's newbie 5k plan has me down for a gentle 1.5 miles today and I shall shuffle those after my spin class tonight. image

How's everyone?

Rivvy Runner, that's Rivington Pike isn't it.  image  I have many nice memories of walking around the pike, Winter Hill, Two Lads etc. I take it you live up there?

Hi Nam,

yes that's Rivington Pike, I live about five miles away.

I'd love to be able to build up my running so that I can run there from home (and back again!).

• Morning folks.

Good to see progressimage

Barking - sounds like you've had more than your fair share of woesimage

I've revised my aspirations and cut things down to 3m x 3 weekdays and hopefully, 5m at weekend.  I've also found a good 3m route nearby - it's a long hill which means that I do 1/2m there, 1/2m uphill, 1/2m downhill, turn around, then run back 1/2m uphill, 1/2m downhill and 1/2m home.  3m total including 1m of hillsimage.  If I'm stuck at 3m at the moment, then I might just as well get the most out of them!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Looking back over the messages of the last few days everyone seems to be getting along fine

Nice easy jog today will check map my run - took me just over 30 minutes and I found a little off road path which was quite nice to get off road - it is a 10 minute run to it and 10 back so did 5 minutes along the path and 5 minutes back - 30 in total.

The sun was just coming up over the sea again so it was a good morning. The legs are a little tired after yesterdays 'session' but having finally got round to watching the London Marathon on iplayer yesterday and seeing Andrew Lemoncello struggling over the last few miles - am inspired to continue.

• My dog will arrive tomorrow.  That should get me out of the house... image
  •  Nam wrote (see)

My dog will arrive tomorrow. 

imageimage

Dog or pup, Nam?  And, most importantly, housetrained?  And what make - Heinz variety?

Oh, and pics pleaseimage

• Here she is...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/5638210353_59ce98ffb1_m.jpg

6-7 month old border collie lady.

Currently living with my friend's mum, who has mobility problems and can't walk her, so she only gets let out in the garden which is no good at all for a border collie.  She hasn't be taught much, but is house trained.  She strikes me as bright and eager to please, just no one has bothered to train her.  We're signed up for basic puppy obedience classes next month.  image

I think she'll make a great running dog. image

• First meeting with cat didn't go very well... LOL
    Dog very friendly... in typical puppy "may I please lick you" overly enthusiastic kind of way... image...

Cat thought "WTF?!?!?!" became three times her size, pelted upstairs and grumped in the spare bedroom... Sat at the top of the stairs later, still twice her size, and looking wholly unimpressed!!!  image

I used to have a neighbour who had a cocker spaniel and a cat.  They were inseparable.  The cat used to walk around, with the dog, side by side, the cat always on the RHS.  She'd have her front leg over the dog's shoulder and would sort of shuffle / walk along with the dog.  They used to sleep outside, in a shed, or, in hot weather, on the front doorstep of the house and would snuggle up together.

The dog became ill and had to be put down.  The cat died the next day.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, glad to see most of us are getting out.

Welcome to the thread Barking, you sure have had a tough time of it! Good luck with your progress!

Nam, the dog looks lovely. My kids keep on at me to get a dog, how it would be great for their mum to have a running partner etc. I'd love one too but at the moment don't have the time to give one would require with work etc.

Well i haven't run since last Thursday, my best run for months, 50 miles clocked up for the year, and then out of the blue i wake up Sunday morning with a bruised/slightly sprained ankle? God knows how i did it, i certainly haven't fallen over or been drunk in the few days after my last run? It really is a strange one, but on the plus side seems to be getting better pretty quickly. I decided to miss Sundays run and have another look on Tuesday. However, it was still a bit swollen and painful so skipped Tuesdays run too. I've now decided, probably wrongly, that i'm going to go out tonight. The swelling hasn't completely gone but i've been stretching it at work and it doesn't react afterwards although it does hurt when i push a stretch. I've also been jogging up and down the patio and playing football with the boys in the garden and it doesn't play up so i'm going to strap it and go. Fingers crossed!!!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Bit of a busy night tonight, boys had football practice 6-7, daughter needed picking up afterwards then off for haircuts. Took kids home and it was now 8:30.......so i went for my run a little later than planned. I was walking up to my start point with my ankle now aching image, during the first part of my run it didn't feel great but didn't get any worse so i carried on. The second phase saw the niggling pain get much better? The third saw it disappear altogether?  Strange but true! The further, and faster i went the easier the run got? My ankle pain has now, as i type, practically vanished completely. I've had a good stretch and now can't wait till Sunday!

Thursday 21 April - 2.75 miles - 8 minutes run/2 minutes walk x 3

Week - 2.75

Month - 19.4

2011 - 53.08