Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options

Hotter than ever today, touching 26 deg. Did 6 miles this afternoon over my cross cross country route. They have added more loose white sand in places making it very heavy going. Very few dog walkers about, I think they were waiting till later when the temperature would be cooler.

Heard the first Cuckoo and it sounded very close. Unfortunately, despite stopping and looking, I was unable to see it.

• Options

JJ Good luck with your 10 mile race tomorrow. Hope it is an early start before the temperature "hits the hights."

Today was again very hot and I ran 6 steady miles. Tomorrow, I hope to do another 12 miles, but will probably choose an easier route than last Saturdays.

I have only just realised that the Oakhaven Hospice Easter 10k isn't being held this year. They always send me an entry form and this year they didn't. I have also searched on RW and Fetch Events Pages and not listed. This is a pity, as it is an entirely off road 10k and would have been ideal for me, considering all the off road training I have been doing.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Phew what a scorcher! I've been hiding indoors as much as possible today as I'm still feeling grotty and my head is really wooly.

JJ, hope you weren't too hot at Folkestone. Not a day for racing although at least it was a short one.

TE, you'd better get out bright and early for your run as they're predicting another hot one tomorrow.

Nearly time for Easter eggs image
  • Options

It seemed to be even hotter today, and I went for my run at 1.30, which was probably the hottest time of the day. I managed my 12 miles, but they were tough. I wore my belt with bottle for the first time, and wasn't sure where the bottle should sit. I started off with it behind me, but the whole lot slipped down. I repositioned it with the bottle on my left hip, and had no further problems. It was much better running with both arms free to move.

Must go now, as Dr. Who is about to startimage

• Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Well done for running in the heat. I'm waiting a bit longer today and will run this evening when it is cooler. Not having a TV means I'm not tied to the schedules image
  • Options

JJ, sorry to see things are'nt going well for you.

Redhead, i hope you are feeling better today.

Waited while 6 o clock tonight and went for a run, my first since sunday 5 miles in 54-56 which was'nt bad to say it was hot and i've had lots of red wine and chocolate to celebrate last weeks london marathon.

• Options
    Dear All - Sorry to read recent sad news and bad luck today JJ. I also use a drink belt - good investment as you can also store other useful items!

Delighted to complete my race 'trilogy' today! 2 weeks after the Brighton Marathon (42K) and a week after the Hermannslauf (31K trail run back here in Germany), today I ran a mere 21K in the Paderborn Half Marathon (where I live in Germany). Despite the two previous weeks 'efforts' and despite a scorching 26C and stupid race start time of 3pm, I still managed a time of 1:38 and was placed 20th in my age category (45-49).

My next race is the British Army Gutersloh Half Marathon on 14th May .... so I'll allow the old body a wee rest for now!
  • Options

JJ that was tough luck, having to drop out, but you were very wise, as to have continued may have meant several weeks off.

Tone, very well done on your trioligy! I suggest you take it easy for a few days to enable your body to recover. Hope you enjoyed Dr. who last night?

• Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Well done to all runners - bad luck JJ, 24 degrees is hot.

Tony, that's a lot of race miles.

6 and a bit chilly wet miles for me last night during a thunderstorm, but a lovely run. Walked 3 today, and planning another 6 slow tomorrow.

Sleep well.image

• Options

hello

Mr Novice is back - image

• Options

Been down in Bavaria this weekend and managed to avoid all the holiday traffic by leaving late on Thursday night and travelling back this evening (just got in about 20mins ago and relaxing with a glass of wine now). Did nothing on Good Friday (except eat and drink!), but ran an hour with Nemo on Saturday and did a 90-min bike ride this morning. My schedule has 2 to 3 hours cycling tomorrow and a 20-min transition run afterwards. Must stop eating hot X buns - but they're so yummy! John is a terrific baker and we always have home-made buns for Easter.

• Options
    A touch cooler today, but quite breezy. Did an interval session this afternoon with 1.75 miles warm up and warm down, and 12 x 440 yds with 90 sec jjog recoveries. It was a bit too hot for good splits but I managed the following:- 1.58 1.53 1.56 1.56 1.59 1.53 1.58 1.56 1.57 2.00 2.06 2.04.
  • Options
    80km bike ride today, including one climb of 11km. The descent on the other side made it worth-while though, I did brake a couple of times on the really steep bit but was down on my aero bars for the rest - wheeeee!
  • Options
    IW on the subject of cycling down a steep hill, I was running up one this afternoon, when a family of cyclists were racing down it. I was horrified to see the father, racing I presume his son, with his little daughter sat on the cross bar looking terrified. They weren't wearing helmets and if they had collided there would have been a nasty accident. There were 5 cyclists altogether, all trying to be first to the bottom of the hill.
  • Options
    Awful. I don't condone that sort of thing at all, terribly dangerous, and personally I never get on a bike without my helmet. I'm not the world's best cyclist so tend to err on the side of caution more times than not except when racing on closed roads. Hubby did overtake me but then he can't do anything without being competitive. We've ridden that downhill quite often so do know the road and It was quite quiet today, got down with only 1 car and a couple of motor bikes passing me.
  • Options

Evenin' people.

Hope you have had a good Easter break and ready for the week's challenges ahead.

New Year's resolution starting today is to run in the morning before work.  When previously running I really enjoyed doing so in the morning and sets you up for the day.  The only problem being is that it messes up running with a club because they don't normally run in the morning!  Hey ho.

Can anyone advise please?  Whilst I have applied for London previously via hardcopy application, it's now online and open from 26th (tomorrow).  I have a feeling there will be a mad rush however wondered if anyone knew if it is worth waiting up till 30 seconds past midnight tonight to apply for a place or perhaps it is not possible until 9.00 am tomorrow.  Website doesn't say anything of great relevance.

Thankie all.

• Options

Mornin'

Managed to apply online for next year's 2012 marathon.  image  That's the easy bit !!!

Let the hard work commence.  image

Zzzzzzzzzzz need to go back to sleep.  image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Hope everyone had a good Easter break. Blimming hot down here!

Cold virtually gone but still gunky on my chest, yuk, so just off for a gentle plod to test the water. 2.5 weeks until Salzburg image

Wabbit, good girl for entering! I sent my entry off weeks ago 'cos I'm supposed to get a guaranteed place in 2012 for being a reject so many times. Hope you've been out for your run this morning <stern glare>
  • Options

I quit agree, JJ, that man was reckless and dangerous, and endangered his child's life.

Trying solo to catch a group is a thankless task!........I know, I've been spit out the back of a group so often. I'm fine when just riding along but as soon as the pace kicks up to racing speed, I'm gone.

Wabbit - get on with it! You have less than a year left to train.

• Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Another 6 hilly miles run yesterday as a birthday treat (for me) with my daughter. At one point we took the 'harder' footpath back up through the woods. It is actually a series of steps and was very hard work, but great fun.

I'm very lucky to live in a place with such a profusion of beautiful places to run.

Happy Marathon-place-chasing to all this morning. 116000 of the 125000 places for the VLM ballot had gone by 6am!

• Options

All the best to everyone who is chasing after a ballot place for London i'm happy to say, my London days are over, although i'm itching for some other challange.  

Redhead, make sure you get your 5 a day, Vit Cat keeps colds,virusus and things at bay

• Options
    Me too OT, I did London 6 times so don't feel the urge to ever try it again. Not that I can, having hung my road running shoes on a nail. I seem able to still run in the woods but not on the roads. 50 years of road running abuse and my bones finally said STOP.
  • Options

Cooler today, with a strong breeze. I ran 8 miles this afternoon in the forest on grass verges and trails.

I can't get the mad cyclists out of my mind. That poor little girl could have been killed if they had crashed. It was on a traffic free road, so they probably thought there was no danger. As it was, I had to dodge to the edge of the road to get out of their way. There are occasionally animals coming out of the hedgerows and if one had run into their paths, the whole lot could have come down.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    My run was aborted quite early on as my breathing sounded as if I was possessed and it was like a scene from The Exorcist! Common sense told me that it was not good to put pressure on my heart by pressing on. See, I can be sensibubble sometimes image

I shall have another go tomorrow.

TE, it was much better weather for running today. We need some rain soon to freshen everything up.
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Have been off the thread for some days on account of my Mum's death on Good Friday. Brother arrived in time to see her before she died, though she was not conscious. Funeral will be Wednesday of next week, after which I hope to be back with the thread more regularly. Brother is staying; children are phoning frequently. 
  • Options

Oh dear Columba, i feel so sad for you and your family. Do take care.

No running for me today, just the usual game of footie tonight.