Talkback: Running to escape the voices - running the marathon to help others escape too.

I've answered you individually but I just wanted to say a massive thank you to those that've sponsored me after reading this article.

I hadn't expected it at all, it's lovely to have felt the support of the running community too. (I suddenly feel like a 'real runner' instead of desperately trying to be one!)

Thank you so much

Ashleigh

Comments

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Well done. That must've been a real struggle. image
  • Thank you, I'll be so happy once its done - less than a month to go (22nd May)
  • I've copied most of this to my sponsorship page - the acceptance and support I've received from strangers on this site has convinced me to be more open and honest with people that know me in the real world. 

Thanks for opening my eyes to the depth of support and understanding that's out there - perhaps it was my own fear of the stigma that was creating the divide all along. Remarkably people do care, and they are impressed by what I've achieved not disgusted by how I suffer.

A very heartfelt thank you to all that've sponsored me, sent me a private message or discussed the article with me on the forums

SOLB (Ashleigh) 

• UPDATE: I did it.

I am so thrilled 

10k: 01:00:33
    Half: 02:12:29
    30k: 03:14:37

Marathon: 04:44:43

Thank you all so much for your support image

http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/?past-results 

• wow I am truly impressed. What a struggle that must have been.
  • Thank you Bobby, it was a lot of fun too.
  • Amazing work, and your honesty is applaudable. 

My dad suffers with severe depression and getting him to notice an uplift in mood when he cycles is hard but with the help of posts like this, I'm getting him to realise that something so simple can really help! 

Congratulations image 

Jess @ www.jogoff.me

• Thank you Jess, I think because depression feels so deep and dark and it's such a complex condition it feels like the solution has to be complicated and massively medical. I still have to remind myself that exercise, eating and sleeping well helps - I do it every time I'm coming out from beneath a black cloud. It's all so hopeless and deeply rooted in your soul, a ridiculous little jog/cycle/swim doesn't feel like it can help. Especially as it can take some effort to get there.

That said there are times when no matter how much I know exercise can help I am not capable of doing it. It is impossible to over estimate how difficult trying to exercise can be at the bottom of a low, it's never as simple as go for a run and you'll be fine but even if that run only makes someone feel 1% better than they do at the depths of their torment then it's worth it! Very much so