Coming through

Okay, so what is the protocol when there are people in front of you where you either have to shout at them to move or run in the road to get around them?

Being that most of the time when I run the roads are fairly busy with traffic, I prefer to ask anybody in front of me to move shouting a quick 'excuse me'. This usually works and people are curtious enough to get out of my way and I always shout a thank you back to them.

Unfortunately there are times when I am not heard (or I am ignored) and this is mostly by old people.

Currently I do tend to shout louder so that they can hear me, but I am never really comfortable with this. So, other than running in the road or barging past them, is there any way I can get them out of the way without risking giving them a heart attack?

Comments

• What do you define as 'old'? I have to say, the people who are least likely to get out of the way are young people wandering along with ipods in their ears, who seem totally unaware of anything around them. The old are pretty good in my estimation.
  • Well really its up to you to pass them safely. If you were driving - you dont barge other cars out of the way do you ?
  • I tend to just go into the road to pass people taking up all of the of the path width. But roads round my way are quite wide or just not to busy. It does annoy me, but seems easier then having to wait for them to move.
  • ... unless you're having a go at their purse...element of surprise... image
  • cougie wrote (see)
    Well really its up to you to pass them safely. If you were driving - you dont barge other cars out of the way do you ?

For the most part, when driving other vehicles are usually moving at the same speed as me - or there are lanes for me to safely overtake.

If it is safe to do so, I will run on the road to get past somebody if they haven't heard me calling out. If it is busy, I 'honk my horn' louder, but with the shouting, I feel it may sound agressive.

Peter Collins wrote (see)
    What do you define as 'old'? I have to say, the people who are least likely to get out of the way are young people wandering along with ipods in their ears, who seem totally unaware of anything around them. The old are pretty good in my estimation.
    When they hear me, most people are okay at moving, it is just ensuring they hear me that is the problem. We do seem to have a lot of older people around 75+ I guess
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    It pisses me off when people can see you coming but still walk two abreast.  The odd shoulder barge usually gets your point across (but not with the oldies, obviously. I'm not an animal. image)  On the other hand I don't think it's ever on the onus of someone walking along in the same direction to expect a runner to want to overtake them, and if they can't hear a reasonably polite "excuse me" (and assuming it's NOT safe to jump out into the road) then slowing to a walk and perhaps even a gentle tap on the shoulder will do the trick.  Fcuks up your metronomic splits on a tempo run, but what can you do?  image
  • I find it's people texting that are the worst - the iPod wearers, generally at least, walk in a straight line so you can choose which way to go round them. Texters weave all over the f*cking place.

Reckon you'll just have to shout louder Pie - although I was thinking the other day how nice it would be to run with a bike bell image

• I'm thinking about a pocket of stones which I could throw?
  • I tend to try to stamp the feet a little bit as I'm approaching. Just a few strides but always seems to do the trick...
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I find it's normally the older generation that move out the way!

I don't shout anything, if someone doesn't move out my way I just use the road. It's quiet out when I run so it's never been dangerous.

• I find a well timed throat clearing usually alerts anyone to my coming up behind them without scaring them half to death.... I'm dead scary me. image
  • Can't say I really have that much problem with approaching people from behind, they're normally very polite and move out the way when they hear me coming, I might have to slow down a bit.

Like Phil what is supremely irritating to me is the groups of people, often more than 2 people, more like 5 people on wide pavements, who are going the opposite direction but can't make a little space for one person image It's normally groups of little princesses in their ridiculous high heels, so just nudge one at the end and watch the dominoes fall image

• I'm more respectful to the elderly, the mums and the disabled when I'm out running.
    But the rest , stuff them. Normally I start sprinting towards them just to allow them
    to move to one side. A lot of fun when their faces turn to horror seeing someone
    charging at them. image

• PhilPub wrote (see)
    It pisses me off when people can see you coming but still walk two abreast.  The odd shoulder barge usually gets your point across (but not with the oldies, obviously. I'm not an animal. image

Grrrr, don't start me on that one!! image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Chimpster wrote (see)

It's normally groups of little princesses in their ridiculous high heels, so just nudge one at the end and watch the dominoes fall image

Much as I hate to stereotype, you are of course correct.  I've certainly sent the odd handbag flying.  image
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hurdling practice?  image