Knee injury - regular runner!

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me! I

I've run for years and years, but in January my right knee suddenly caused me a hell of a lot of pain. It's in the back, in the middle of my knee. It only happens when I run; I can walk and walk with no pain whatsoever. Afterwards, it hurts more walking downstairs - I'm not sure if this is relevant to what it could be. 

I used to run 2-3 miles, 3-4 times a week. 

I run on roads in spring/summer and on my treadmill in winter, and it was on my treadmill when this happened. I have a desk job, so I ensure I do at least 10mins warm up consisting of knee & calve stretches, and also do sone throughout the day at wor.

I went to the docs in Jan who said to rest it, but it's still no better. I do pilates too, which I've continued doing, that's caused me no harm whatsoever- no pain arrises. I went running for the first time yesterday & the pain came on very quickly after around 10mins, so I had to walk for most of the route. Then I tried to walk down a hill hours later in the day, and the pain shot from just behind my knee to all down my leg, so I had to limp. 

I've started using promax to try to help my muscles after pilates too. 

Could any one shed any light on this please? It's so frustrating now it's sunny weather not to be able to run!!  Many thanks in advance image

Rach

Comments

• I don't know if this is the same but I've been suffering something similar for the last 5-6 weeks.

Pain on the back of my left knee. Mines was totally my own fault for doing too many miles in a short space of time. It happened on a Saturday and wasn't too sore then but I was limping about the next day. The pain went away over the next few days so I tried a run on the following Wednesday but had to stop after a mile. Again, the pain was there the next day but Ok after that. I've tried a small run every 2 weeks since with the same result so I'm now on a 4 week break before I try again.  It's so frustrating not being able to run.

I've self diagnosed it as a popliteal strain. I didn't go to a doctor because I hoped I'd just give it some rest and it'd be OK.  I can cycle though and it doesn't aggravate it at all.

I've searched about the internet and it seems to fit my symptoms.  I may be wrong of course.  The pain is one place on the back of my knee and like you gets worse going downhill because your stride is longer and your leg straightens out more.

From what I've read, it's a difficult injury to put a recovery time scale on.