Friday 29th April

Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
Good morning -just

I haven't started a DTT for years...so here goes.

The quoted lyric can be found in two songs...so should be easy for fans of American music.

anyway my whats, whys and wherefores are:

what: 7miles or so at a doable pace.

Why: This is where I currently am

Last Hard: about the same as AF

Last rest;: 7 days - next one due soon.

Enjoy the bank holiday all....back later no doubt.

Edited to turn my gibberish into something readable

Comments

• Morning peeps

What;5M Steady

Why: Nice day for it here. Dry, cool  and no wind.

Off work, but wakened at usual time

Lyrics: Nope

MrsB having a 'Royal Wedding brunch' for my sis in law and nieces.

Back later.

• Morning.

MadameO - smt is worried about my calf and thinks it may be a biomechanical issue so back to the physio who fixed my awful biomechanics a few years ago, it was either that or the pod and as we managed to stop me over pronating with months of running rehab I'd rather address the underlying issue if possible than merely compensate for it - but that will be my next stop if this doesn't work.

Hope you have a great race and most of all an enjoyable outing whatever the result NZC.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

What:                   long bike/short, easy run
    Why:                     doing it early as racing Monday
    Last hard:           Not hitting the smt yesterday!
    Last rest:             25/4

Lyrics - I know at least one of them.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning.

Went for a swim yesterday after work - 2000m. That felt ok.

Without beginning to sound like a triathlete i managed 20k on the bike in the gym this morning followed by a weights with core session.

Swim again tomorrow. Thats what the Man says i can do. Back to him on Monday and hopefully running next week.

Looking at things positively the break will do me good!!

NZC - best of luck with mara.

LMH - I hope you sort out the calf problem.

Tom - I see you hijacked the thread before anyone could post "nice day for a white wedding"

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Thinking speedy and enduring thoughts for NZC.

Also thinking recovery thoughts for a rather a large number of you who seem to be on the edge of injury or illness.

Tom - rather than avoiding the lumpy ground, might it not be an interesting experiment seeing if working up to maybe twenty minutes in one run a week on lumpy ground might not strengthen the bits that tighten up when you work so consistently on the roads? Not a whole run in a ploughed field perhaps, but just one edge of a titchy one for starters. I am impressed with the strength and flexibility I have regained this year running with weight and on uneven ground. Miracles happen, particularly if you give them a helping hand.

Pammie, you ok? had a quick scan back, but not seen anything.

wabo, defo enjoy the time with mini.

Me? Not been posting, but haven't been quite the couch potato. Cycle ride on Wednesday, couple of miles yesterday. Taking things as easy as possible. The heat is off after a couple of hellish hard months. I got through those ok, working throughout, but inevitably the body presents the bill: sweats and shivers, dog-tired and sleepless, headache and burning eyes, cramps in all muscles from eyelids through six pack and adductors (why are adductor cramps so very much worse than any others?) to toes. Hey ho, been here before and don't like it. And in the middle of it all, the black dog dominant.

So, not running today, on duty tomorrow (yep) maybe a run Sun/Mon. That depends on how the mind and carcass hold up.

AF - on Wed. thread you made a reference to old man river. Heard that sung in New York when I was 16 by a voice I've never forgotten. Get shivers just remembering it.

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    Morning,

Oooh, a novel start to the thread!

LMUH, that sounds like the most sensible thing to do - I hope it's something easily fixed.

Hang on in there Paddy!

I'm not all that interested in the Royal Wedding to be honest, but have switched on because I'm a big girl and want to see the dress. (Someone also mentioned David Beckham). Although I am feeling a little nostalgic watching the footage, because it's making me think of the VLM finish image After that I'll be reverting back to Kerrang radio and doing some creative stuff, which I don't get to do all that often.

What: Nothing
    Why: Rest day
    Last hard: Losing an ebay auction for a pair of Red or Dead heels
    Last rest: Sunday (unless you count the skating)
    Lyrics: Very familiar, but no

Have a good day everyone!
  • MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    X-post with Stickless - I hope you can send the black dog packing soon. Sending positive thoughts.
  • Nothing for me today, getting ready for Lausanne 20k tomorrow (which will be a training run but hey-ho).

Good running all.

• Hi all

Sorry been a lazy sid but been a bit busy...running ok (shame to hear that a few are crocked/ill)

Just been doing the training sessions and a couple of races - 30.42 for an undulating 5.6 mile loop in our club handicap was ok, we had 5 sets of 600/400/300 last night, averaged 1.43/68/49 so pleased with run up to track season. Bloody windy too, which was an arse!

Hope the marathoners feeling ok now...enjoy the wedding. Like Wills, as I looked scarily like him when I was about 15!!

have a good weekend..

• ah I really like the song the lyrics belong to, good choice tom image
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

Stickless - hang in there. Hope things get better soon.

My trial run yesterday has set my knee back by about a week which just goes to show today's DNS was absolutely the right decision.

But I must do something so...

What: 85 minutes on the cross trainer (15 mins w/u keeping HR around 130, 30 minutes hill profile and 30 minutes steady including 6 or 7 x 400m reps with 400m recovery, then 5 mins cool down)
    Why: I am going to be the size of a house if I don't burn some calories
    Last hard: not running
    Last rest:  I have done nothing but rest

Have fun

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning

Paddy  lol i was thinking more "i would be king you would be queen"

Stickless  Thanks my idea last week didn't get anywhere so i will have to persevere for now. Theres a new store opening in the summer nearby  i hope i can apply for that depends on what vacancies arise out of it. Basically i need more hours which i can't get presently.

Hope things feel a bit better with yourself soon adductors they are a real pain

I did switch on the tv for a bit but i'm neither interested/disinterested  thought though Elton John could have combed his hair

So in the interest of saving a bit i've decided to bike it at least or the next month  though it might come permanent. I'd run it but 15 milers round trip a day might be pushing it image

So last night 7.8 miles in and this morning  7½ miles in 40.30 getting quicker image. So runs over next week till Wednesday will be easy and short maybe

What: 7.5 miles cycle d&d/short run later + 7.8 mile cycle
    Why: the way life is
    Last Hard: Them hills
    Lyrics: No i'm afraid

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

What - a nice 11.5m
    Why - Enjoyment factor of being off on a Friday...image
    Last hard - Sat
    Last Rest - Yesterday

Busy weekend ahead, Parkruning, classic car show and a Tattoo Convention

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

BCDB: you have me in stitches about Olympe the masseuse  ... STOP writing such stuff or I get into trouble at work as I can't stop laughing image.

(((stickless))) c'mon, let's give the bad black dog a massive kick. Hope you feel better soon.

Good luck for tomorrow, NZC

Sounds like a great weekend, RFJ!

Yesterday's lyrics: I'm on Fire by The Boss

What: nothing yet image
    Why: legs tired after yesterday but I think a little recovery run might come in handy after work
    Last hard: Weds
    Last rest: Tues
    Lyrics: no

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Oh The Boss  Chickadee  do love him

Only 2.54 miles today legs like lead so kept run short they did become less lead like but kept t short anywhere. Need to eat before i go again

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Chickadee - if you like Springsteen, you'll enjoy one of the purveyors of todays lyrics who are also from New Jersey. Two years ago he stood up on stage with them at Glastonbury.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    The Wedding was a bit like VLM: all eyes on the two up the front, a handful of elites and a motley collection of "not so good for agers". Then when the elite event was over the BBC started interviewing idiots in fancy dress.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 18 plus miles d&d
    Why: just to remind myself how to run for more than 2hours
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: no idea
    Lyrics: no idea

Generally tired at night and working more during the day is keeping me off the forum :¬0
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

What: gentle 20 mins
    Why: legs feel a bit battered from largely running on the pavements in Cadiz. Back now, and back to off road where possible. I seem to be the reverse of Tom!

Last hard: the last few days running on the road (or sand, which was tougher)
    Last rest: the dim and distant past.

Last lyrics: the dim and distant past

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Evening all,

Stickless:  Hang on in there.  I'd give you my remedy for black dogs, but I haven't got one.  Was the voice paul robeson?  (forgive me if that would make you about 120)

• What: 5m
    • Why: "recovery"
    • Last Hard: ?
    • Last Rest: wenesday

Have a good one!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    The two takes on the lyrics are

"Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand
    I always kinda sorta wished I looked like Elvis"

The song is “High lonesome” by The Gaslight Anthem” from the album The ’59 Sound. A punk take on Bruce Springsteen.

Also:

"Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand
    she said she'd like to meet a boy who looks like Elvis"

This song is “Round Here” by Counting Crows” from the album August And Everything After. A classic American ‘90s AOR album.

Back tomorrow
  • Doing this from my phone so can someone repost on tomorrows thread. NZC just won 3rd in her age group overall and 2nd in her age group in the NZ marathon champs. Awesome image