Sub 3

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

LOL LS21!  As a female I can understand those wanting to see the dress, but personally you won't catch me making any effort to do so!

RW-H, I had sinusitis before Paris marathon in 2008.  It was so painful and made me feel dreadful!  Nice run yesterday.  We did 10 miles along the trail at a nice easy pace, but then BR had raced a good 5 miles (4.74!) the night before so running at my easy pace was fine for himimage

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I watched the Wedding with the SPO !

Tom - fair do's, happy to have your interest on my side. RB sent me a meaasge y'day saying "more miles next time then?", he too wants to see me run more. I only turned up here cos I had bagged a ballot slot and thought I'd give sub3 a crack first go, folks like CRAB, Cartman, RB etc shared their knowledge with me, and even fast runners like Coro and Padams encouraged me all the way. My only running aspiration every yr is to bag another sub3 at VLM (probably why I put my self through the mangle on race day - like MtR said). I have had no other running aspirations in thsi time, I guess i should have sub36, sub60 and sub80 aspirations like Drifter, MtR etc but I dont. I have entered other races but never made em due to injury/kids sports/CNBA etc ..........but..........after this campaign I now realise that the engine needs some sportier wheels, so I will make a better effort to race* some shorter distances this yr, in order to improve my 2:50 chances next VLM.........It would also be a shame to finish my sporting days with teh same PBs I currently have.

*I say race but not in the BR sense, more in a particpation way. None meant to BR - l like the way he operates he just has different software to me.

First decent length ride bagged for a few weeks, 60M av 19.8, not bad on a slightly breezy day, when I didnt feel full of beans.

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

i didn't run long enough, wedding still going!!  got too sore and basically bombed final 1.5 miles so didn't make the planned 20.

Did 7 hilly miles with my brother who's staying with us over for last weeks (sisters)  wedding around Hampstead heath at 8:10's and then carried on and managed another 12 miles at 7:16s. so 19 done anyway.  it was much quieter around regents park than normally! Bit tough after a few beerios last night as well. No house guests after tonight so will be able to take it all a bit easier now!

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    TR - to be fair to BR he's 'taken a few' for the team in the last 12 months. What I mean is he's turned out for the club in team events and ran at say 80% effort so as not to compromise his own training/individual bigger picture events, but has still been a counter for the Team standings. So he's fully accepted that on the day a lot of folk who he normally beats will beat him. But he's able to 'participate' and not race at 100% for the benefit of the team - which in turn has contributed greatly to the excellent team spirit we have.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Selbs - nice one, 19 is good.

LS21 - I'm not knocking anyone, just saying that I participate in a race and try and run some sort of target time not caring who beats me or not. Other folks race to beat people (which could lead to faster times I guess). 

• Fab running Hilly and BR. Hilly interesting about your sinusitis before Paris. It definitely affected me but fortunately had the training in the body. Won't go into details but it was nasty. It's only just clearing out the system now.

Alton Sports are so good. Came away with new Pegasus, pair of shorts, club vest (yep running for my club soon!) and sunglasses. They knew I was backing my local shop and so knocked off £50 all told. Well chuffed. Although I liked the Oakleys in the end I preferred the Nike Impel Max Adapt. Worked better with my face shape. So just back from an easy post-wedding 5 miler looking suitably smooooth image

Watched the Royal Wedding and loved it. Made me proud to be British. Happy day.

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    TR - yeah I realise what you mean now. And yes, BR is a 'racer' in that sense I think. I do like to 'race' folk too, but am more driven by running certain times really. So yes, I get your drift now
  • RWH - I think I'd missed that you'd signed up with a club. Regardless of the great progress you've made solo, I think that's going to be very good for you.

Anyone tried running with the freebie sunglasses given out at the VLM expo? I used them once and quite liked them (although I admit, I was taking the price in to account). When I went to use them a second time, they snapped clean in two, right at the bridge. Cheap rubbish image.

• Yes Farnham Runners, PP. Apparently I'm now the second fastest in the club over the distance!
  • JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    Time zones can be very useful. Just woke up and appear to have missed the wedding. Oh well! And sleeping through it was far easier that getting out for a long run image

Having said that, looking forward to getting back into normal training and eating habits next week. North American portion sizes while permanently wanting to eat after a marathon are not a good combination!
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Wedding this morning was fantastic.  Easy to park in Richmond Park to walk the dog, served straight away in Argos and Clarks, and got straight into the tip to (finally) throw away the remains of the Christmas tree.

Richmond Park was not as deserted as it was during the Diana funeral, when my kids and I really were the only people out.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    TR - targets of 36/60/80 for 10k/10M/Hm are in my view not only worthwhile but in your case eminently doable. Wouldn't you find achieving those more rewarding than simply breaking 3hrs for umpteenth time (Tom - I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate!)

If your not interested, then fair enough, but as time moves on they will become less doable, should you get the urge. Back in 2005 I managed sub 37/60/80, and now that door is well and truly closed to me. I also regret never having run a decent marathon, when I had the chance. Time and tide and all that stuff.......
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

RWH - I've run against a few of the Farnham Runners. Know a couple of chaps, a guy called Rix who is a 2.40 runner and in my tri club. They do todays runner xc series around Hampshire. If you get along to that, may see you in the future.

Did a 10miler off road while some of the wedding was going on.

• http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1465910/pg1

I spotted the runaway horse at the wedding. Most of my family thought I was on drugs when I started talking about it.

I enjoyed the wedding for celeb spotting. Beckham wearing his war medal (on the wrong side for the campaign against Argentina?) was particularly moving.

Was Tara wearing her new nose or the old one about to be replaced?

I also spotted Mr Bean.

Not run since VLM11. Weight escalating but enjoying the break from it all.

Dull

• Hi guys, massive read back required by me I`m affraid. but in the mean time could I ask for any tips from Ptb or anybody else who has done the Belfast marathon before, as I appear to have entered it, DOH!

Sorry been out  of touch since VLM, I have had no time for anything, thats when I have been here at all, all a bit mad at this end!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Tom.. I saw your plans on another thread for a 'Margaret Thatcher Wake' street party when the time comes.  As a look into the future I thought you might like this..

Maggie Thatcher dies and goes to heaven.  She awaits her turn at the Pearly Gates and finally gets to see St.Peter.  'Good grief it's Mrs Thatcher, I didn't know you had pegged it' exclaimed St Peter.

'Whatever' said Margaret,  'I have come to claim my rightful place in heaven.  I managed a stable economy, trounced those Argies and took on the miners and won!'

'Well that's not quite how I see it' replied St Peter.  'You ordered the destruction of an Argentinian ship losing hundreds of lives, you upset all those hard working miners, and as for the poll tax.. oh dear!  I'm sorry Mrs Thatcher, you can't possibly come in here, I have no choice but to send you to the fiery pits of hell.'

'But that is most unfair, muttered Mrs Thatcher in protest.

St Peter gets on the phone to Beezlebub.  'I've got none other than Maggie Thatcher here.  I can't possibly take her with the record of the Conservatives, can you accommodate her?'.  'No problem at all, send her down when you are ready, plenty of vacancies here at the moment' replied Beezlebub.

Two weeks go by and St.Peter starts to wonder how Mrs Thatcher is getting on in hell so he rings Beezlebub again..

'Just wondered how you were getting on with Maragaret Thatcher down there?'  enquired St.Peter.

'She's bloody murder' exclaimed Beezlebub.  'She's only been here a fortnight and she's closed down three furnaces already!'  

• Different folks, different strokes. All that pomp and BS makes me embarrassed to be British quite frankly. And as for all the flag waving by the great unwashed - how many of them really give a fck about the country for the other 10,000days every 30 years? Average intellect summed up by a guy I heard on the wireless.

'So why are you here?'
    'Well it's a once in a lifetime opportunity isn't it? I mean last time I was about 12 and I watched it on the telly (I guess Andrew and Edward didn't count but I'll let that pass as he hasn't finished yet) so this time I had to be here. Next time I'll be about 70 of course.'

Once in a lifetime indeed ;o)

So I swam a bit, biked quite a lot and then ran a lot faster than I expected but that didn't generate any revenue at work which I thought I kept being reminded was jolly important right now in an all pulling together in this great British society kinda way? Still I guess the Express and the Mail will have had a bumper day so it's not all bad.

I did manage to happen across a closed road street party. Didn't quite end up with bunting around my neck being chased by a wing commander but I respectfully cycled by the trestle tables in bewilderment - which to be fair was probably their reaction to a fully grown man on a bike covered in equal measure in lycra and snot.

As you were.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Tom - I agree they are do-able, I think I could achieve all of them, and I take your point about age. my little lad told me earlier that i am 44 in 2 weeks.....I'll see what I can do for you. I have a midweek 5K this week too (I did 3 of them last summer), but i'm doing some bike and swim before it.

Wardi - ha ha !

Dull - couldnt help thinking it was a case of the "emporers new clothes" with some of the hats the fillies were wearing. Someone told them they'd look the bees knees wearing some expensive gear that looked like some kids at pre-school had knocked em up *! One of Fergie's daughters' was a classic, made me roll up !

*mind you I was a bit crap at guessing what my kids had made at times !

• nelblade - crikey. How are you going to break down the training time remaining - 2 days training, 1 day taper?

In no particular order:

- It's a pretty big and chaotic start for a small event - because the relay and the walk (!) go off at the same time, and penning is haphazard or nonexistent. Get yourself in the front few rows one way or another if you're looking to get away smartly. There will be two sub-3 pacers (both excellent guys), and even if you haven't signed up it's OK to bluff your way close to one of them to get a good spot.

- water is handed out in plastic cups. I hate this, so normally have a couple of locals lined up to pass a small water bottle at pre-arranged points.

- Flat for about 7 miles, then gentle but continuous uphill until halfway, and then a (too) steep drop down again over the next 1.5m. From 16m on it's flat, although if you're death-marching the tiny climb of the Ormeau Rd at 24m will seem bigger than it is (elevation hopefully attached below)

- Take care on that descent. Lots of folk have ruined their race / quads getting carried away on it.

- not much support en route, I'm afraid. 16m to 21m could be especially lonely, run with someone if you can.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back and stick it down here too. I'm due to be running a relay leg for our club, second leg I think. If you're on about 2:45 pace between miles 6 and 10, I'll see you there image.

• I'll try again.

/members/images/269072/Gallery/BCM_03-05-2010__Elevation_-_Distance.jpg

Graph is zero to 350 feet, in case it's not readable.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Wardie - nice one image

TR - of the 36/60/80, I think the one you'll find hardest is the sub 36 10k. On the other hand of a diet of high aerobic steady running you should capable of 37/60/80 all in the same half marathon - so two and a half birds with one stone.

The Wedding was a bit like VLM: all eyes on the two up the front, a handful of elites and a motley collection of "not so good for agers". Then when the elite event was over the BBC started interviewing idiots in fancy dress.

And yes....7+ miles of pain free running again. Softly,softly, catchee monkey
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Here here CRAB!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    No comments on the Royal wedding from me as I can't be bothered to get into a discussion on it.

Ran 18.4 miles this morning. Not sure why I just had the time.
  • As Oscar Wilde once said, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about, so...

TR - when it comes down to the final 10% of any race, what is it that brings out those extra resources inside you if not a time goal or beating a person?  For example the other night, there was a `5 mile' (turned out to be 4.7) inter-club race which I did to make sure our vets team maintained 1st place in the series.  However as the race unfolded I found myself on the shoulder of a clubmate at 4m and did the decent thing and outsurged him as it was also a club championship counter.  However I let another guy from a different club go as it did not mean anything either time wise or competition wise to have beaten him.  Had my clubmate not been there I would have sauntered in with a solid time for the team but no real focus.

What is it that is going to give you that focus for your shorter races?

I would imagine this is even more the case in triathlons where it is only the front few doing any racing, and where you cannot measure your time against other courses as they're so erratically measured and factors like the type of water come into play. 

Today the BBC lost any claim to impartiality after fawning sycophant after subservient forlock-tugger was wheeled out.  Disgraceful.  Makes you ashamed to be part of a so-called free thinking country.

• Ptb    Thanks for your help, its very much appreciated image   its Mrs Nelblades focused marathon, so the info is mainly for her really. From my point of view it was only ever going to be a plan B if VLM went pear shaped early on, my body still isnt over the punishment it got in London, so I will be just looking at getting round without injury really. So defo no 2-45 pace from me I`m affraid, more likely to be 5-45 pace and an ale on the way round. Anyway many thanks again, oh one further question, I gather a 20mph wind is on the cards? where abouts will that be against us do you think? wind is coming from the east I believe.

Great to meet a few more faces at VLM, sorry I wasn`t more sociable at the Red Lion, but my hips were giving me quite a bit of stick. We didnt stay that long and headed back to the hotel to sort meself out. Well done to all who got what they wanted and sorry to hear that a few were disappointed, I will try and read back for more individual details when I get chance.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    OK, so a big decision to be made today. Having only started running again this week, I have to decide whether I'm going to do my monster long ultra at the end of May (Grand Union Canal Race - 145 miles). Organiser needs to know who's in and who's not, because there is a lengthy waiting list believe it or not.

Running fast aggravates the calf injury, but seems to be OK to run slow. So with the whole wedding guff as a perfect excuse to get out for the whole morning I did a five hour run from Windsor (that's a bit royal I suppose) back home. 33 miles, so only 9 min/mile but the last hour was pretty hard. First long run for over six weeks.

Jury still out on injury and fitness, but needed to do it for both mind and body. Probably a foolish thing to have done, but worth risking permanent disability to avoid the flag waving embarrassment going on elsewhere. I did however predict what the bride's dress would look like - exactly the same as pretty much every wedding dress I've ever seen. Did see the military flypast; no doubt on their way to drop bombs on civilians in Libya.
  • Ptb      All the best with the relay run on Monday

Good luck to anyone else in action over the weekend, wont be able to post again now till Tuesday probably.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

BR - to be honest I dont know. Maybe the desire just wont be  there to do the smaller races, amybe its a bad idea. In the Tris I have done maybe its different cos I just ride as hard as I can after a carp swim and then over-take as many as possible on the run, but always have a tergat time in mind. However I only overtake folks cos I'm movingh quicker than them not cos I want to beat them. I only tend to do the same races (wether run or Tri) and simply try and improve the time. I also took no pleasure in beating some folks at VLM that I wanted see run much faster times, I'd rather they had beat me.

Tom - 37/60 and 80 all in one race ? mmmmmm

DanA - awesome !

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

did u win some money on that wedding dress prediction DanA??

well done though mate, thats awesome, 33 miles, dont know how u do it, i was giving myself a good talking to, to keep going after 15 miles today!