Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - they're posh round your way I have to dodge beer bottles round here !
  • Well, there's nowt like a Royal Wedding to split public opinion, and it seems, the sub-3 thread too.
    Upper class toff, RW-H, being proud to be British contrasting with those from the working class plebs that found it disgraceful....plus plenty of the usual couldn't care lesses!
    As a public schoolboy turned Manc doleite, turned floating voter, I loved it in all it's vulgarity. Found it all a bit like Live Aid, or 9/11, or Stuart Baggs "field full of ponies" speech. You knew you were watching history in the making, but really it was suspect motives that kept you glued to the set. Was that really a pretzel stapled to Beatrices forehead? Wouldn't it be funny if Prince Phillip had a massive seizure? Where was Gok Wan in our moment of greatest need?
    Anyway, I went for a record breaking 70 mile cycle prior to it. I have to say how pissed off I am when I compare my mph to that of, say, MtR. 
    My hourly splits were something as follows (although I should point out the wind was negligible when setting out, and increasing on the way home into the wind):
    18mph
    16mph
    15mph
    14mph
    12mph (last 30 mins - but this didn't include stopping to let the halucinations of being at home with a f@ck off big plate of chips and a beer pass).
    Not really sure what I'm doing wrong, but think I need some toeclips, or those shoes that clip onto the pedals? 

After the cycle, though, was the embarrassment of our street party. Shed loads of neighbours saying "ah, you're that jogger that's out jogging ALL THE TIME!". Jogging!!!!

Still a great, and very drunken time was had by all! We learned about Mrs Darrabash's not so secret affair with the famous Songs of Praise host, Jess Yates, and what rotters live at no 22, And then it was home to sort out the total chaos of 70 teenagers getting monumentally pissed and sick in what was once our house! The guitar I bought when first coming to Manchester was severed at the neck, bits of food everywhere....pools of vomit over the lawn, in between the smashed chair and cracked cups and bottles. Thank god I was equally lathered to not care.

All of this scuppered the parkrun, as I had wasted kids to evict the next morning, a frightening hangover and hours of disinfecting and cleaning and mending.

And so, this morning normal service was resumed with a very strong 16 mile run. So strong that thoughts of entering the Windermere Marathon in 3 weeks time drifted into my lazy afternoon thoughts. Retirement didn't bloody last long did it?
  • LD great post image, but sorry to hear about the party travails at home. Sounds like a nice 16m and I know what you mean about itching to do another marathon soon.

CD nasty sounding blow out.

TR we'll see. It's a low key multiterrain undulating 10k at Esher Church School http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?sp=&v=2&ugn=6101&en=61665

Seems like a curious event: mainly as I say low key but with some serious runners sometimes turning up e.g. from Ranelagh Harriers. Going to treat it as a chance to see if the legs have a bit of speed back in them, as a tune-up for some more serious times this summer and as a straight race.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well. If anyone was getting sick of royal wedding coverage, suddenly about the only thing in the world which could have knocked it off the front pages has happened. What news to wake to!

CD: I think I can safely say I will never do an Ironman!

TR: hope your little lad enjoy his football today. I remember how excited I was as a kid when we did our annual concert at the 'proper' local theatre.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Dids - I expect your cycling needs some nutrition, or do you have the same appraoch as running ?

Jools - thanks, hope he enjoys it.

RWH - oh well, I thought it was a road race.

• RW-H - Good luck in the 10K, you seem to be very motivated at the moment, is this down to having a coach? also do you train as part of a group?

April stats.
    206.8 miles, image
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Jools - totally agree. Can't decide whose sudden death has provoked the most emotional memories...

...good old 'Enry with his Brut adverts or dear old 'Whispering' Ted Lowe with his famous "good luck mate" commentary to Cliff Thorburn during his 1980 147 break.

A truly sad day for any genuine sports fan.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    12k including 5 x (3mins @ 4m/km + 2 mins recovery). Fingers crossed I can aim for about the 40 min mark for the 10k. I'd hoped to aim for sub 39 but I think that may have to wait.

X-post with DanA: :¬p I think he's been trumped by BL...
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TR - and good luck to your boy today. Reminded me of when I played in a corporate match at the Millenenium and missed a header from under the bar about six inches in front of an open goal. You will never ever see a worse miss in the history of the game. The bloke who was doing the artificial crowd noises on the PA turned it to maximum and flashed up "GOAL" on both big screens assuming I'd scored. I had inexplicably managed to hit it off my shoulder and out wide for a goal kick.

Then a couple of years later I ran my first sub-3 in the same stadium. Can't be many people whose best & worst sporting moments occurred only 20 yards apart.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭

I know - Ted Lowe AND Henry Cooper in one day. 

I realise it's not a very nice thing to say, but I hope OBL's death was slow, frightening and painful.  Still, if I hadn't needed an outlet for all that anger and hatred back in 2002 I'm not sure I'd have started running like I did.  For those of us with personal connections to 9/11 this is a wonderful day.

I tried to go running this morning but the dog was looking a bit lonely and I just couldn't.  So instead I let him off the lead on Kingston Hill in the park and did some hills, and he loved it.  He's flipping quick too.  I suppose if we do that every morning that will keep me fit.

• A truly sad day for any genuine sports fan

Bin Laden was a big Arsenal fan, so I'm sure if he was still alive he'd be pretty sad (about Ted and Henry) as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/1650069.stm

Dull

• Quick race report. Esher Church School 10k. About 200 runners with some serious figures who hared off at the start at 5mm pace. Found myself in about 10th after 1k but then slowly began reeling people in. Finished 4th. Twisty undulating multi-terrain course on a windy day so quite happy with my 37' esp as I made it 10.2k image given just 2 weeks since London I should be happy I guess.
    The guy I passed to take 4th ran 2:48 at London.

Great race actually. Really should have Vet categories though: I would have won it! Those in front of me were all in their 20's. Winner smashed course record.

Sorry for self-indulgent race report: will read back when home.

P.s. Silas aged 3 'ran' his first 5k and won a medal, assisted by his Mother. Very happy little boy image
  • Thanks everyone, it's always great to get some support after having a shocker of a race.

Selbs - well done on the 10k, although the pacing might not have been as even as you would have liked a huge step in the right direction from a few weeks back.

Tom - yep, Langtoft is a loop course round country lanes, so fairly nondescript. Wind was out of the east at ~20mph, gusting to ~30mph so we were running back into it for the second half of the race. Nice to see you getting some mileage in. The comment about the Cardiff marathon made me laugh.

Padams - congrats on the win, well done that man.

Jools - nice reps session.

RW-H - well run.

Coro - agree that a sub-2:02 seems a little way off yet, but can believe that Haile's WR might not last much longer. I'm not sure what sort of line-up they'll get together for Berlin or Chicago, but if there are pacemakers and people such as Mutai (E & G), Makau, Mosop, Wanjiru, Kebede with good weather conditions then I could definitley see someone running ~2:03:30
  • Having had a reasonably close look at Mosop's training in January, a couple of other things stand out:

• although the overall volume isn't that high compared to some elites, there are some days which involve very (i.e., over distance) long runs (e.g., 3rd Jan - 43km am + 9km pm, 52km for the day; 22nd Jan - 48.5km progression run)
    • the amount of "quality" sessions doesn't seem to be that high, but some of them are very hard (e.g., 15th Jan - 5 x 3k @ ~1/2M pace progressing towards 10k pace; 19th Jan - 8 x 1k @ ~10k pace + 10 x 600m @ ~3-5k pace)
    • seems that some of Mosop's training is conducted around Moiben which is at an altitude of ~2000m (~6500ft), which reduces available oxygen to 80% of that present at sea level. According to Daniels Running Formula, this would result in race pace differences of ~4% (e.g., 10M 60 min at sea level equivalent to 62:46 at 6000ft) and suggests that the training paces are likely to be rather harder than they look.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Marmite: After I read Coro's extract of Mosop's training I googled Canova. Some of the philosophy as opposed to physiology is quite a hard read, though that mainly due to the fact that English isn't his first language, also it was written back in 2005. Interesting that amongst that 2005 group of young African runners starting to reap the benefits of his training ideas was one Moses Mosop. So it looks like Canova's been working with him for quite a time now.

HH - I wonder if you've noticed someone has resurrected some 16yr old school boys thread about running sub 35m for 10k. I wonder what happened to him. Is he still running or did he discover sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.
  • Seems like I came 5th not 4th as they told me at the finish. Bit weird, but thought I should correct it. Don't quite understand as several marshalls along the way as well as the finishing stewards on the line, and my wife, told me I came 4th. Time of 37'30 is I suppose ok-ish given the twists, terrain, undulations and post-VLM. Again, I actually made it 20 secs less than that too but ho-hum.. Still a pb but slightly disappointed in the time I suppose. Not quite back to speed after London yet. Might have to ensure I am for next Sunday as looks like I may be in a half-marathon close to today's race ... image Have just ordered my Xempo top for it. Red this time, but hopefully next year Silver image

Off out for a 4m recovery run in a mo'

Padams somehow missed your huge win yesterday: that's fab. You really are coming into form just right for the big one.

Mmmm ... marmite you're going to come storming back on a 10k I'm sure shortly.

So anyone else on here turning out at Richmond next Sunday?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Well played RWH

DanA - ha ha, does the Cradiff marathon ever happen anymore ? The eldests lot lost 4-0 but the others had much more strength in depth. He was having a fine game until he fractured an eyelash early in the 2nd half and it seemed to put him off a bit.

I carded the expected zero, but I need to balance recovery from VLM with building for the Swash and I've had a big week so I'm happy, I still have a pair of achy legs and some pretty sore feet. I spent an hour bowling at my little lad in the nets though.

• JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Good win there Padams and good 10k also RWH only 2 weeks after London.

1st triathlon of the year this morning and didn't prepare very well with a few late nights but it was only a 'C' race. 400m swim was not too good only under 6min and legs felt like led but not surprising as only my 4th swim since September so knew that would be tough. Felt a bit sick on 20k bike and bit hard into wind. Run was 5.5k off road over farmers fields with some stiles and a stream to run through. Redlined this most of the way and took quite a few. Finished a few secs over the hour and 2nd in age group. A mate just beat me so will need to work on swim and bike before Weymouth half in 4 weeks time.
  • Lord Dids. Great post.Couldn't agree more. Will upset some of my running mates though. (I think they know who they areimage).
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

JH1 - good effort in the tri. Still early in the season so lots of swim and bike improvement to come.

RWH/marmite - it was only a club event so not a major win!

RWH - nice 10k so soon after VLM.

Finished off the weekend with a 75M bike inc. two laps of a 25M loop we have been using as a sort-of TT course. Managed to beat my last attempt by a couple of minutes despite a much stronger wind this time, so pleased with that.

Finished the cycle at a nearby village fete to meet some friends and do the fun run. The plan was just to jog it (legs were trashed from the bike and weekend in general) but found myself in the top 10 after a very easy first mile of around 6:20, and not far behind the leaders. Put in a couple of quicker miles (5:4x) to get into 2nd and slowly reeled in the leader. Hit the last hill and he took off - my quads were not playing ball so took it steady for the last mile. Total of 5.7M in 34 mins (6 m/m), all off-road with 3 large hills and about 12 kissing gates to negotiate.

So a solid 4 days of training overall:
    Fri - 60M/3.5M brick
    Sat - 17M run
    Sun - tri (hour at high intensity) + 30M bike
    Mon - 75M hard bike + 5.7M hard run

No really long ride but got the Hampshire Hilly Hundred on Sunday.

• coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭

Padams - Kimpton? That is a huge amount of training!!!! Are you running Wheathampstead 10k?

RW-H - well raced

• JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Good hard weekends work there Padams. Thought it was Gobi who only did those Fete runs. ;o)
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

nice "C" race there JH1. and top training weekend Padams.  and here i was reasonably happy with my paltry effort of:

Fri - 19 miles some hilly, some steady effort
    Sat rest
    Sun 11.8 miles including 10km race
    Monday 6 miles recovery (and 7 jog commute to work this morning, hammies still mashed).

v happy to report i managed 250 miles for April after almost nothing in Feb and March.

Off to the consultant for results of my scans/xrays etc this avo.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

good work JH1 a big few weeks for you now then ?

great stuff Padams, good volume there

Selbs - good backing up from you too ! Backing up days is good stuff.

I bagged 60M friday, 55M Saturday, a 13M run Sunday and a zero y'day.

only managed 93 running miles in Apr, thats the end of my (relatively) high mileage. I'm more bike and swim focussed for a few months now and am having one day a week I try and bag nearer 3K in the lido, cos it should improve my swim endurance and I have a 3.8K swim race in 4 weeks. Today is the day this week, and then the U11s have our second league match tonight.

• That is one big pile of training, Padams. When you're laying it down like this, I wonder if you're the highest volume (in time) trainer on here?

Good 10k effort, RWH. You've recovered well. Well raced JH1 too - your bad swimming still sounds very good to me.

Belfast Marathon was on here yesterday - hope Mr & Mrs nelblade enjoyed the day. Sunny all day, but a decent breeze meant it didn't feel too hot, I think. Long-standing course record was broken (2:15:xx now down to just sub-2:15) but that might reflect an improvement in 'visiting' runner, rather than fast conditions. Somwhere (athletics NI, I think) had mentioned matt p, occasionally of this parish, as doing a pacing job for the guy who came in 3rd, but I didn't see him. Sorry if I missed you, matt.

I thoroughly enjoyed running a leg of the relay - I've been sniffy about it in the past, and it probably is a bit annoying for the main event runners. But to run with a number on, hard, but without the pressure, the nerves and the stress, the tunnel vision - was great fun. Got a predominantly uphill leg done in 6:20m/m, and the team got it round in 2:42.

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    nice work PTB that sounds fun
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

coro - yes, Kimpton. Really nice route. Not doing Wheathampstead - got to get the long stuff in over the next couple of months, and have quite a few events as well (sportives, half IM etc.)

ptb - I think Gobi will still be well ahead of me on total hours. MTriton (not posted recently) used to rack up a lot as well with some really long rides. I assume he still is as I think he's doing the same race as me in July.

JH1 - yes, it was a bit cheeky, but we were there anyway and a lot of our friends were running.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    I agree Gobi probably has the most frequency and hours although he doesnt do longish rides and doesnt swim much  - the naughty boy !
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Impressive training by TR and verging on the ridiculous there Padams! Well done on sneaking a race in RWH.

I think I'm finally over VLM; did 7M yesterday with some hill reps and a couple of miles tempo, without any particular grief from the calves, though still noticing a little niggle from my ankle. Anyway, my plan is to press on with higher-quality, lower-quantity training in order to get some short summer races nailed.

• Hail Hail

Not read back, but just a quick update from LeJoggers.  I spent the most enjoyable day with them yesterday.  26.3M with njord at an unbelievably consistent pace given that it was his 9th consecutive marathon.  Beer break around 12M, ice cream break at 16M.  Caz incredibly fresh and Pug extremely upbeat.