Monday 2nd May 2011

So come and take me on.

What: possible easy recovery run later

Why: leg transplant not available on local health service.

Hope those trying to rehabilitate get some joy today.

Good running all.

Comments

• Morning Broadsword.

Beat me by 2 mins.

Go with this one peeps.

• Morning.

Hope it goes well with the smt Paddy.

What:                    short race am/swim set pm
    Why:                      sentimentality/schedule
    Last hard:            my saddle Saturday
    Last rest:             25/4

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Yesterdays lyrics were Amen Corner - Bend me Shape me

What: 25 mile TT which is going to be HARD for 4 miles. Rocket fast for 13 miles and then hell on earth 8 miles.(These numbers are apporximate but think pain) AM
    Run ??
    Track PM
    Why: Bank Holiday pain
    Last hard: parts of yesterdays ride
    Last rest: I looked back and it was 28th March but I don't run or ride everyday.
    Lyrics: No
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Great reports yesterday, all three of you.

M - I had totally missed your run! Fantastic. Hope hamstring improves. And very impressive running by your partner.

BCDB - great run, great report. Hope the guy who tumbled is ok. Your legs will come home. In time.

NZC - I said it before. I know that "happy with that" doesn't exactly carry the face value meaning. In the first place on this thread, quite correctly, as is and should be in all competitive sports, first prize goes to the one who crosses the finish line first, in fact and in our admiration, credit and respect. But I have side issues, and therefore a different take on running. I am familiar with the why? attacks that happens in a race that isn't going to be ideal. Giving yourself a talking to, and putting your best foot forward, many many times in fact, and running a gutsy race with why? on your shoulder is something I admire with all my heart. Running with why on your shoulder and coming in in the places is something I will remember when why is muttering in my ear. It is why you are generally given one of the hideous miles when I run marathon distances. You've been there, defeated the why and even reached the podium.

Really interesting discussion about streaking. This year, when I was dog minding was the only time I came close. Physically, I was able, which rather surprised me. Probably because more of the runs were easy. Mentally it was also not too difficult. The dog had to be walked. It may as well be run. Why can't I do it now? Time? Tired? Well, there is a reason why I don't have a dog now. Yes, it's a matter of priorities.

What, something/someone more important than running? Er, yes, guilty as charged. Choices and responsibilities.

Oh, running? Did a 15 mile walk yesterday with Mr. S., aiming to convert the try with an as yet undecided number of miles this morning. It may as well be an effort because I'm in Brighton next weekend being sociable, so this is the last tough run before off to visit my Ma. Won't be able to do a tough back-to-back pair of runs next weekend. Work will probably preclude my doing anything too serious during the week either.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Enjoy your Bank Holiday Pain Gobi...

What - 5.5m easy with Jnr
    Why - We are doing a 10k at the end of the month whilst camping away
    Last Rest - Thurs
    Last hard - Sat

Take care all

• 2000m swim d&d. Off now to see the man - fingers crossed!
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Short and to the point;

What: 7.2 miles steady
    Why: onwards and upwards
    Last Hard: The last couple of miles of yesterday's 9.1m
    Last rest: 20th April
    Next rest: planned for Thursday 5th May

Off to dance around the Maypole.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

hello

great reports from our runners and racers this weekend.

Just a flying visit to say byeeee as I'm off on hols for 2 weeks at the ungodly hour of 4.15am tomorrow.

I hope to get a chance to do some exercise but my leg is misbehaving still.  

Toodle pip and all that.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Have fun Mava! On to something different when you get back.

Well, when will I ever learn. For a two day event I've got to do something serious about fueling overnight. I ground to a halt. after about 6 miles, walked the additional mile and a bit to work, will need either to walk or take the bus back. Not sure that it matters much which. Another two miles won't save my opinion of the day's run, nor make a huge difference to my run in the LAMM.

Need to get back to finish the double bass and start the varnishing process.

Actually, training for a particular distance event is rather similar to varnishing an instrument. A small irregularity in one layer will not spoil the whole; don't fuss with it. Efforts to put errors right usually result in highly visible and permanent reminders of best forgotten occurrences.

Have fun all.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Woke early to the sounds of the wind bashing about  looked at clock tried to get back to sleep wind was surreal. Eventually got up a bit tired
    Planning on 2 miles though knackered ended up doing 3.16 miles as sometimes happens once out and running i feel better so....

What: 3.16 miles
    Why: my kinvaras were calling me
    Last Hard: sunday in the wind
    lyrics: Don't know

• Stickless -I've found the immediate refuelling to be the crucial part, something like a milkshake or smoothie in the first half an hour then a carb/protein rich meal within two hours seems to be my best chance for a good second session in a day or recovery for next day. Glad you're seeing the bigger picture and not knocking yourself over this mornings run though.

mava - have a great hols. Hopefully the knee will be 100% by the time you return.

Pammie - you're doing well in keeping going whilst you're out, it really is getting out the door that can be the hardest part isn't it? I don't think biking miles impact the running legs much but they will obviously affect overall tiredness and I'm sure your shifts don't help.

Paddy - hope he said 'yes'!

Well, despite my dodgy left quad and right calf, monster ride on Friday and elevated HR I had a great race.Mile splits are very obviously wind affected (and terrain to a point) and it looks like I faded badly at the end (cumulative fatigue?) but came out with a new PB of 37.51 (did 38.18 here last year) and second female vet - though third really as first female vet actually won the race for the tenth year in a row! Just the swim session and shopping to fit in this afternoon now.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMUH - congratulations on a well run PB. Although you've made reference to your Monday race over the past couple of days you didn't reveal what or where....do tell.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Indeed LMH, well done...and tell us more.

What: another wind-affected off road 30 mins
    Why: the daily self discipline
    Last hard: not today
    Last rest: not today

Lyrics: not today

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Full report is on Shades thread for anyone who is very bored image It was the great Weston five mile race - the first race I did in this incarnation as a runner so I try to go back every year, even though it's 70+ miles away now and a very short distance for me (and never convenient in a long distance tri schedule!). It's multi-terrain (road, concrete road and farm track) and 'undulating' though to be fair it seems less hilly every year that I do it - apart from the final hill which is short and sharp and about 150m from the finish and an absolute killer on tired legs.
  • The man said yes, although suspended until Thursday!

Mind you he treated my calf as a fully blown pin cushion first!!. I think he does this to make sure i can't run until Thursday.

Two more days of cycling and swimming.

Mava - enjoy the Holiday. Take it easy.

• Just going to watch the last hour of the King's Speech whilst soaking my feet in a contrast bath (ankles feeling bit delicate). Just did a couple of miles walking today. That will do.

Starting to get that good feeling that I may have got a good deal faster in the last few weeks. Am hoping for a 44 min or less 10k on Sunday.

Really appreciatin coming on here and getting the mutual support. I don't always acknowledge how everyone's doing (too hard to keep track), but I just want to say I'm getting a lot out of visiting, so thanks.

Nostalgia plays a big part in my race selection too sometimes, LMUH. It's nice to go back.

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Broadsword - great report - very entertaining! This thread is great, helps you get out there most days!

Tom - I had to look twice for a reference of steak in Alehouse's post, then I realized it was streak!

Think a bit like Pammie, that if you run most days, it is just something that you do, and don't really have to think about it a lot.

Your running is coming along nicely.

LMUH - you are always so supportive, and don't ever seem to tell us a lot about your results. Well done in your current race - will have to go look on Shades thread to see your full report.

Stickless - I think getting the fueling right is a huge part of the type of event you are going to do. I think that was one of my problems in the marathon, I felt like I was running on empty, and then felt sick, so I didn't want anything.

M. - good luck for Christchurch.

What: Half an hour jog in Cornwall Park. Legs actually felt quite good. Can't believe that!

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    LMUH - great report - nice to get a trophy!!
  • Yes, very well done there, LMUH, good effort at the end.

Lyrics were "Come back brighter" by Reef. Thought they were apt.

Left ankle's feeling a bit strained, eeek.