Acceptable First HM Time

First ever HM coming up in a few days, I know I can get round which is the main thing but what is considered an acceptable time for a first timer ??

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

If you are slower than 1:35 then people will point and laugh.

I have to say that isn't true, really.  An acceptable time is whatever you are capable of.  Don't worry about what other people do.

Meldy!  You're even meaner than me! image

• JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

Depends who you are  - Ryan Hall might think that close to an hour is reasonable, some else might think that 2 hours is good.

A lot of club runners see breaking 1:30 as a big achievement

Just enjoy the race and see what happens. Then you can have a realistic target in your second race.

http://calfstrainsrus.wordpress.com/

• Just concentrate on getting round your first one in good shape. If you feel good, forge ahead by all means. But once you've posted a time, you'll have something to aim at next time. I think people are taking the micky gently because your question is 'how long is a piece of string' - we don't know how fast you train and what you yourself think you're capable of running.
  •  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

Actually, I think first timers should go slower, otherwise it gives the impression running is easy ..

And wear a big red L plate, so everone knows you're a learner & have a chance to wind you up a bit,and of course, a green P for the next 6 races.

Brian - less than 1:12 and you can probably start making a living from it (or at least get lots of free kit) ... more than 3:30 and you might be walking. Anything in between is normally OK. Take a look at the results for last year, and see the range.

(Although my first ever half is still my best time, it's all been slower since then. But I got very close Sunday ...if it wasn't for that headwind in the last 2 miles, or those hills, or....)

• Well as we are in the beginners section I though I may have got a few replies from beginners saying that in their first they did it in x time or y time but never mind!

My longest run during training was 12.5 miles in 1min 50secs but this was at a pace that I knew I could get round in to get mileage under my belt. Only really managed one long run a week on top of playing football with a couple of missed weeks of training end of March.

• You did 12.5 miles in 1 min, 50 sec? Are you a whippet? A jaguar? Do you have a jet pack?
  • What you might want to do, then, is have a vague aim of getting under two hours, or 1.55, which are very decent times, and see how you do. But don't get too hung up on it. There'll be other HMs.
  • 1 hour 50 mins, sorry, it's all these people taking the pi$$ out of me it's made me nervous
  • AllNewTB wrote (see)
    You did 12.5 miles in 1 min, 50 sec? Are you a whippet? A jaguar? Do you have a jet pack?

That's not a jet pack !  That's a teleport device.  I want one ! image

Brian Cohen wrote (see)

Well as we are in the beginners section I though I may have got a few replies from beginners saying that in their first they did it in x time or y time but never mind!

If you are after stats - mine was in 1 hour 48 mins.  Like you I did one "longer" run a week  (10+ miles) and a couple of shorter runs (4-7 miles).  I reckon you will find that running in a race will improve your time somewhat as you will get "drawn along" by other runners around you.

As everyone will point out comparisons are of limited value - age and gender are the most obvious factors to effect time but there are probably lots of other things that can have an effect (judging by other threads, even down to what you had for breakfast !)

Hope you enjoy it, get hooked and, as Peter Collins rightly says, once you have a first time you will have a target to beat in the next one !

Good luck.

• Brian, I think people are doing it gently. Don't be nervous. Let us know how you do. Good luck
  • Oh - and I forgot to say that in training my times were similar to yours ( that is half marathon distance in about 1hour 55)

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    whatever you manage will be your PB so just enjoy it.
  •  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

Brian - the other warning is that most races have at least a few 'suspect' mile markers, and are often not exactly the right distance. So keep an open mind as to how you're doing and (depending on which race you're doing) expect plus or minus 1/4 mile on the distance.

My race times are always far better than training (although I can't walk for 2 days afterwards) - I think most people tend to push harder than training - there's always someone else to chase. Watch out for taking the first miles too quickly and blowing up before the end.

And as others have said - sorry for any gently ribbing, have fun & remember the purpose is to enjoy it.
    *or at least enjoy finishing

• hey, we're roughly in the same field.  ive got my first half end of the month, ive just recorded my longest distance of 11 miles in 1 hour 35 mins  im aiming to do the half in 2 hrs or there abouts, which i am fairly pleased with.
  • MuddyPawsMuddyPaws ✭✭✭
    My first HM was the Steyning Stinger in March. Cross country with some killer hills ! I had aimed for 2:45 and ended up getting round in 2:26:57, a time that I was very happy with.

I have another cross country HM in October and I'm aiming for between 2hrs and 2:15

Not sure that this helps though image the chances are you won't be last, just set yourself a target that you would like to achieve image
  • You've got no worries with the distance and really shouldn't go all out to smash your training time.  Have an idea how you feel your training will compare to the route for the HM - if there are a few hills to contend with and you only train on the flat, you could end up running a little slower.

For my first HM I aimed to run under 2 hours and was a little light on the training and missed it by a couple of minutes.  Now 2 minutes improvement will put me under 1.45.

If you set yourself more than one target ie sub 1.50 and sub 2, you can still feel you have achieved a goal if you finish in 1.59.  Your second target could even be getting around.

Whatever happens - good luck and enjoy setting your PB as it will be a time you want to beat next time.

• Plymouthrob, I'm also doing my first half at the end of the month, guessing you're doing the plymouth one too!! I'm getting a bit nervous now. I would love to finish in under 2 but realistically I'm going for 2.10 as I know I'm capable of steady 10 min/mile. I think I've now come round to thinking that this will be my first and very memorable experience and will give me a time to work from and (hopefully) get quicker in future halfs.

Maybe we all have the tendency to beat ourselves up too much. I'm worrying about not being 10 mins quicker but in reality, running for 13 miles is a massive achievement when I couldnt even run a mile a year ago. I should just be happy with a finish.

I should but..... image

• Exactly roycie. Running 13 miles is a damn fine achievement for anyone, and Brian, I'm impressed by anyone who even attempts it. Just don't worry too much about times at first. Once you know how your body handles it, you can go for faster times later.
  • roycie82 wrote (see)

Plymouthrob, I'm also doing my first half at the end of the month, guessing you're doing the plymouth one too!! I'm getting a bit nervous now. I would love to finish in under 2 but realistically I'm going for 2.10 as I know I'm capable of steady 10 min/mile. I think I've now come round to thinking that this will be my first and very memorable experience and will give me a time to work from and (hopefully) get quicker in future halfs.

Maybe we all have the tendency to beat ourselves up too much. I'm worrying about not being 10 mins quicker but in reality, running for 13 miles is a massive achievement when I couldnt even run a mile a year ago. I should just be happy with a finish.

I should but..... image

Yea im doing plymouth half. Understand your nerves im exactly the same. Really looking forward to it now its getting closer and im getting more confidant with the distance. Will be a great experience. Good luck.image  
  • My first one a week sunday, done 12.5 miles in 2hrs 15 about a month ago and really struggled with the last few miles. Rested up since having done max 10 mile long runs since and found them all much more enjoyable and legs feel quite fresh now.

Hoping for around 2 hrs 15 for the hm, but as others have said any finish is a PB and as I started out in Jan at 17 1/2 stone (not being able to run a mile!) and have shed 2 1/2 of them so far, I'll take what ever I achieve ... and then go and improve it!

• Hi Brian, Did my first half marathon last sunday. Your time is going to depend on lots of factors really.

Personally I was aiming for under 1hr 45mins which was fairly optimistic as the best i had done before that in training was 20k in 1hr 41mins iirc. My finishing time was 1hr 43mins so i was happy with that.

If i could give you one tip for your race, it would be to pace yourself, start off sensibly & try to block out all those around you, just run your own race & enjoy it.

Good Luck image

• I definately think being able to pace it right is the key, hope I don't get too carried away early on. On the other hand don't want to leave too much in the tank either, it's all a learning curve and this time tomorrow it will all be over!
  • one hour 55 mins. Nice and humid to start with then the sun came out with 4 miles to go!! Enjoyed first ten miles. Main aim to get in under two hours so did that.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Well done Brian!

(only another 20 minutes to knock off next time then image)

• Just go for ten minutes off next year Wilkie if you dont mind
  • Well done Brian. I did my first half in March, came in at 2hrs 2 mins, but was carrying an injury so as has been said I had two goals, one for under 2 hours, the other was just to finish. Now I'm running the Manchester 10k next weekend, the Liverpool Tunnel 10k in June, and a lakeland trails marathon in July! This running lark is damn addictive image
  • Brian

time is not important

competeing is ......

we all run for our own reasons,

to compete , to enjoy , to feel good is all that matters

good luck

• Scouce

yes your quite right

this running lark is extremely adddictive

so, enjoy it while you can, time and tide waits for no man !

feel fit and good

good luck always