How do you find a running buddy?...

I do quite a lot of my training on my own, occasionally my bf comes with me, but he is inconsistent with when or if he will come with me, which bugs me Ggggrrrr

So....I'm looking for a running buddy, but how do you find one?...

I am aiming to do a half marathon in Sept currently running at 4.5 - 5.5milers going to add between .5 and 1 mile each wkend and would really like a buddy to do this with, just really because it's safer and more fun that way image

So....how do you find a buddy who isn't...

a) a serial killer, perv, or psycho
b) much better than you so you are left trailing
c) much worse than you so you are slowed down
d) all of the above image

any thoughts?...

Buddyless and lonesome of Wiltshire image

Comments

• MuddyPawsMuddyPaws ✭✭✭
    Join a local running club ?

That way you get to meet and know the people....
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I would be very wary of meeting up with someone from a forum or similar.

Why not join a club?  That will give you lots of running buddies, and once you have got to know a few of them, you can perhaps arrange to run with them at other times.

Clubs are not all full of racing snakes - you'll find people of all abilities and ambitions.  Most clubs will let you go along for a couple of sessions, to see if you like it, before committing to joining.

• goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

Go for the running club first, you wont regret it you can try out a few until you find one you like,be wary of online rendezvous, lots of wierdos on here,

me for exampleimage

• I would be careful meeting up off forum ... quite a few have resulted in marriage    image

• And a lot more have resulted in trips to the clinic.image
  • M...eldy wrote (see)

I would be careful meeting up off forum ... quite a few have resulted in marriage    image

and a few have ended with puking and fires.....all sorts ...

oh and a big inflatable p*nis....

stay clear of everyone off the forum, they are all deranged. 

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    M...eldy wrote (see)

I would be careful meeting up off forum ... quite a few have resulted in marriage    image

I have no idea what you're talking about image
  • ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭
    haahahhahahhahahahha thanks guys

so you're saying I should agreed to go on a 5mile run on dartmoor with username 'stabby-staberson' ? image

Running club hadn't even thought of that will have a look to see what's on in my area, ta image
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    M...eldy wrote (see)

How dare you!  We are NOT married!  image
  •  
    M.ister W wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

I have no idea what you're talking about image
    and babies......you will end up having forum babies......destined to forever be dressed in yellow and black.
  • Wilkie wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

How dare you!  We are NOT married!  image
    OMG !!! like, seeeriously???   ....  you strumpet  image
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I blame those Socials.....   image

• Chlobo wrote (see)
    haahahhahahhahahahha thanks guys so you're saying I should agreed to go on a 5mile run on dartmoor with username 'stabby-staberson' ? image Running club hadn't even thought of that will have a look to see what's on in my area, ta image
    I run regularly with stabby - seems ok to me. Always make him run in front, though,,,,
  • imageYou like being stabbed from behind? image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I bought my husband off the internet.  I'd be careful if I were you.  Don't make eye contact with anybody....
  • I have met up and run with a number of  stangers off the forum............even arranged to share a tent with someone i hadn't met...................

sometimes they are people who other friends have met and have assessed them to be real.............sometimes I have just looked around a bit and discovered that they are real....................I have always told my hubby where i am going and with whom..............so if they do turn out to be a mass murderer...at least he can tell them I was meeting madwelshman with large knife.....................who was posting on the sub 8 hr marathon threadimage

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Chlobo wrote (see)

So....how do you find a buddy who isn't...

a) a serial killer, perv, or psycho

b) much better than you so you are left trailing

c) much worse than you so you are slowed down

d) all of the above image

any thoughts?... Buddyless and lonesome of Wiltshire image

On a point of technicality is (a) + (c) an acceptable combination?

Does it matter if they're a pervy psycho killer as long as you can run away?

• ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭
    hhahaahah yeah Higs they can be as pervy and psychotic as they like as long as I can out pace then, probably help me achieve a pb, added incentive 'n all that image
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Higs wrote (see)

On a point of technicality is (a) + (c) an acceptable combination?

Does it matter if they're a pervy psycho killer as long as you can run away?

You know what would happen though - classic horror film scenario where the male psycho killer is somehow much slower than the female victim running over a ploughed field, but victim stumbles over and gets caught anyway.  Then you've got the double embarrassment of falling over AND being mutilated.  Nightmare.

I'll go with the running club suggestion.  image

• Just as an alternative to the running club option (which is the best of course), do you have a parkrun near you? Full of people of all sorts of running abilities. You will notice who is about your pace and you can also hang around afterwards and talk to the regulars...
    That's not to say they won't be pervs too...
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    id say Parkruns are THE place for pervs !!!imageimage
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    loulabell wrote (see)

Must try one.

• Green EyesGreen Eyes ✭✭✭
    Higs wrote (see)
    loulabell wrote (see)

Must try one.

never met any pervs at parkrun but I have off here image

I've run and cycled with a few people off here but I knew them first !!  I would join a club though - always someone to run with then !!

• What's wrong with pervs? image
  • After some initial onversations, I run now with someone off this site (Craig/'tiptoe me not'), as it turned out that he only lives 'around the corner', & knew who I was, having seen me 'out & about' on foot,on bike/driving (I can see his house from one of our back bedrooms)

As for finding someone to run with before that, I was alway out 'solo', however there's a few at work who run to some extent, but no-one would come out with me (maybe I'm too slow?)

Since I started running (in late 2007) I'd resisted the lure of joining a running/athletics club, preferring to compete in the 'Featherstone Road Club' colours - that's my cycling club - it seemed to annoy some runners that a cyclist, & not even a triathlete, could beat them!image

However, at the last 'Trunce', I was talking to a trio of runners from a local(ish) Club; Ackworth Road-Runners

http://undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/

http://www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk/

I had a few training-sessions with them (no pressure to sign-up), & after about 3 runs paid the money (that was last September)