Feed me!

Getting bored of energy bars! Fed up of Powerbars! Slightly sick (and only half through the box of) Protein bars!

Recipe sharing please - you know you want too. Although it's somewhere else on this forum already, here's my Banana bread recipe:

225g wholemeal flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 60g sultanas, 40g demerara sugar, 70g golden syrup, 4 medium sized very ripe bananas.

Mix together very well in  bowl, pour into lined and greased 1lb loaf tin. Bake in 180C oven for 45 mins. Done!

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

What sort of recipes? High energy and high protein? Sweet/savoury?

I have gazillions of recipes!

• Ginger Gav I have just copied your  recipe down from the other thread, Im gonna have a bash a t it tomorrow

flapjacks with or without chocolate

250g of butter,200g brown sugar,200g golden syrup,250g muesli,250g porridge and 300g chocolate (proper stuff not cooking chocolate)

melt the butter ina pand,add sugar and syrup and mix well. Add muesli and porridge and mix well.

Pour into a grease proof lined dish ( mixture should be about 1/2 inch thick) and bake at 180 for 20-25 mins

optional

melt chocolate and cover flap jack

• malteser tray bake

110g butter

200g milk chocolate

3 table spoons golden syrup

225g crushed digestive biscuits

225g maltesers

melt the butter, chocolate and  golden syrup. Mix in the digestive biscuits. Add the maltesers. place in a cling film lined dish (mixture should be 1/2 thick) chill in the fridge.

Hide from the kids as it will be gone in 2minutes, it's very morish and very fattening

• hot x buns for the bike.. harder to get now easter is gone
  • Cold pizza on the bike... there you go
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    try malt loaf - very tasty and provides a load of energy
  • Can't buy malt loaf here - anyone got a recipe?
  • Gav

Saw your post on the other thread re flapjack recipe,   mine's not too dissimilar to runningposties above

150g butter,  200g brown sugar,  4 tbsp golden syrup
    melt and mix thoroughly in non stick pan,   add a few drops of vanilla extract (optional),  and 350g of rolled oats,  and a handful of mixed seeds (optional) & mix thoroughly together.   Add any extras (raisins / glace cherries / choc chips)
    greased baking tin and anywhere between 20mins to 30mins at 180c depending on how firm you like it.

Cut whilst warm,  then leave to cool in tin.

Share with cycling colleagues and go blast up some hills image

• Half_PintHalf_Pint ✭✭✭
    malteser tray bake sounds amazing! How far would you have to go to cycle that off though!!
  • After eating that I'll be going nowhere lol
  • a very long way!!!! guilty pleasure yum
  • Brill - thanks folks! I'll spend Sunday with my head in a mixing bowl!

Cold Pizza on the bike I like - aero food too! Would you cut your malt loaf into thin aero slices, or take a whole loaf and taper it into a pointy shape?

Ultra - try my Banana bread recipe with Treacle instead of Golden Syrup - not quite as sweet but really gooey like Malt Loaf. Yum!

Got no choice now but to increase my training workload - the only way i'm going to burn off these extra calories!

Another food conundrum for you gourmets - Iced Fingers - as they are or split with margarine on?

• Malt loaf

8tbsp (usually a jar) malt extract  (try the likes of your local health food shop or Holland & Barrett)

5fl oz strong tea

6oz wholemeal SR flour

a dose of mixed spice (more than a linch, less than a handful)

3oz raisins

30z sultanas

1 egg

Malt extract & tea in a bowl, add the fruit and leave to soak and cool. 

Once cooled, chuck in everything else and mix. 

Pour in to a lined 2lb loaf tin.

Bake at 140C for 75-90 mins and once turned out and cooled, wrap in greaseproof paper and stick it in a tin for at least 3 days so that it can go all chewy sticky.  Lush with sliced naner.

• Ooooh, CD - sounds ace. Anyone know of any big supermarkets that have Malt Extract? I'll have a shufty in Tesco and report back!
  • I have just bought a bottle of that Cherry active, there are 102cals when diluted in 240ml water, possible an easy way to get carbs in!
  • Meant to be excellent for recovery too, I believe?
  • Can I mention Ferret biscuits? The man has clearly missed a vocation!
  • I'm debating between using protein shakes and protein bars. Just wondering if anyone has preferences between the two and why. Also wanted to know if it is better to buy protein bars. I'm actually looking at getting a box of cookies and cream dymatize
    elite-gourmet-protein-bars. Any suggestions for what I should do?
  • I prefer protein bars - especially the CNP Protein Bars Chocolate Orange flavour. The shakes always give me terrible farts!image
  • I make my own energy bars out of oats, flour, lightly toasted pumpkin and sesame seeds, prunes, apricots and sultanas soaked in apple juice.  Throw the whole lot in together and squidge to a dough.  Add more juice or water if too dry.  Leave for 30 mins to fully absorb juice then press into an oiled baking tray and bake in a medium oven for 10-15 mins before cutting into bars while still hot with a pallet knife.  Press out of the tin when cooled.  *Don't bake the bars until they're brown, they just need to be solid and therefore portable.  Oh and chop the prunes and apricots.
  • zander crute wrote (see)
    I'm debating between using protein shakes and protein bars. Just wondering if anyone has preferences between the two and why. Also wanted to know if it is better to buy protein bars. I'm actually looking at getting a box of cookies and cream dymatize elite gourmet protein bars. Any suggestions for what I should do?
    I use PHD protein whey- Chocolate orange and the PHD synergy (I recommed both of these, there pricey but do the job well). I have used the PHD bars before for convenience as you can't pre make the protein shake because the amino acids start breaking down if it is stood for too long and it's yuck then!