First pair of earphones - Which ones???

Hi,

I'm looking to give running a go with my MP3 player but i just know my current earphones will just pop out before i leave the house!!image

I don't like "hard" earphones i find they hurt my ears, my current earphones are inner ear ones which are really comfy.

So after a little looking around i have 2 choices :
1: Sennheiser PMX70
Sennheiser PMX70 on Amazon

They have lots of good reviews and look like they will stayput but i dont know if the headband will jiggling around and the hard ear pieces will annoy my ear

2: SoundMagic PL30
SoundMagic PL30 on Amazon

Not so many reviews but they are the inner ear type which i have now and they will be softer - but will they stay put??

What does everyone else think?use

Thanks

NB x

Comments

• I've got the Soundmagics, although I got them from HiFi Headphones due to the number of fakes being sold on places like Amazon marketplace.

I have only used them with aftermarket buds - Compy foam tips - but they don't budge once you get them in and they're very comfortable. I used to have a pair of Sennheisers with the standard rubber buds and they'd start falling out at the first sign of sweat, but because the Comply tips expand to fit your ear and the Soundmagics are an overear design they really stay put. I recently did a half marathon and didn't have to adjust them once.

While the sound quality is brilliant for the money the build quality is good but not great compared to some other headphones but HiFi Headphones' customer service is excellent and when mine broke after six months they replaced them straight away.

• I use the Sennheiser PMX80 once hooked over the ears they stay firm. The buds sit just on the ear, so they don't hurt even though they are hard (although the 80's come with a soft cover if you need it). Sound quality is decent for the price. Most importantly, they survive a good sweating!

if you still prefer the 70's they are cheaper on play.com too. Good retailer, free delivery.

• I've got a set of Sennheiser LX 70. They don't fit me, so I've never used them. The headband thing coils up into a plastic travel pot thingy.

If I can find them, you can have them if you want.
  • I'm quite happy with my PMX-80s. I'd be concerned about running with the noise isolating type, as I'd worry that I couldn't hear the traffic around me.
  • Thanks for the suggestions,

A vote for each isnt really conclusive lol

If the PMX80 dont go in your ears they just site on them, do they not jiggle around abit on your ear? What it the sound like.... wouldnt want to deafen myself inorder to block out the traffic noise.

Maybe i should just go with the masses? 180people for the PMX70 cant be wrong.... can they? image

@Intermanaut:
    Thanks for the LX70 offer but i think the band is too long for me and would annoy me bouncing around on the back of my neck

• It's hard to describe, but the earbuds on the pmx80 (and pmx70, I have to assume, since they are essentially the same design) don't bounce around. It's like they are pushing in sideways (though not too hard) and since they hook over the ear, they don't fall downward. That said, you might not like them...

Sound-wise, they are markedly better than the ones that come with an ipod. That's not saying much, I know. I have them set low enough that I can hear traffic and the music still sounds good.

• I have the Sennheiser PMX70 and they're fine. Like people have said before don't fit inside your ears but I feel them pretty comfortable and don't giggle around either.
  • If would either recommend the SoundMagic E11 or the the Brainwavz M1's (although if you're not on a budget then go for the M3's!)

Here is for why:

The PL30's are good, but if you want IEM's (In ear monitors - so pretty much what you're after - in ears ones) that will stay in your ear whilst still being comfortable then i'd go for teh E11's. They have earhooks that you use to hook over your ears and therefor do not have to reply on the actual eartip staying in. I don't own a pair but I've tried them and the hooks are pretty comfortable and really hold the the eaphones in your ear , enabling you to jump,run, dance and flip around without them falling out.

Sound quality wise, they're pretty balanced so no crazy pumping bass or screechy treble (high frequency).

Alternatively, I would go for the M1's - they don't have any earhooks (although I think they might actually come with attachable ones if you get them from the source - mp4nation.net) but they are also IEM's and are real conformable with great sound isolation - so no interfering noise from your surroundings! They're also have a balanced sound and are probably of an overall higher quality than the SoundMagics.

Although these are both recommended with the assumption that you're not listening to crazy heavy bass music - you should also make sure you choose a pair depending on what you listen to - bass heavy earphones are for, well...bass and vice versa.
  • Hi Rory,

I tried googling Soundmagic E11, and all that comes up is this thread.

Do they have a different model name..?

• Hi Dan,

First of all, I've just read through my post only to find it riddled with typos here and there and everywhere.

The most critical type however was in the Soundmagic model name - E11. I was meant to refer to the EH10's, NOT the E11 - I don't think SM even have an pair called E11!! Sorry about the confusion!

Here's a review link on the EH10's: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/493383/my-review-of-the-soundmagic-eh10

• Rory George-Alexanders wrote (see)

Hi Dan,

First of all, I've just read through my post only to find it riddled with typos here and there and everywhere.

The most critical type however was in the Soundmagic model name - E11. I was meant to refer to the EH10's, NOT the E11 - I don't think SM even have an pair called E11!! Sorry about the confusion!

Here's a review link on the EH10's: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/493383/my-review-of-the-soundmagic-eh10

Lovely stuff, thanks very much Rory image
  • Personally I use inner ear ones, and they are fine for me, although I understand that they're not right for everyone.

I currently use JVC marshmallow  type ones, which are great, but I've also used Creative EP 630, which were also good.

I've gone for the cheaper end of the market (£10 - £15 range) as I was reluctant to splash out much more incase they get lost or broken, but I've been really happy with them.

One other piece of advice I was given (echoing what Jeebsy says above) - if buying from Amazon, only buy if the goods are offered by Amazon itself, not from a marketplace seller, due to the possibilty of buying fakes.

• I have always used Monster Beats by Dre PowerBeats.

I know I may get a bit of stick for even mentioning these more fashion orientated headphones but I have to stand up for them and say they are in fact really good.

They are a bit pricey at over £120 but you do get what you pay for, superb sound great build quality and running-proof!
  • melo wrote (see)
    I have always used Monster Beats by Dre PowerBeats.

I know I may get a bit of stick for even mentioning these more fashion orientated headphones but I have to stand up for them and say they are in fact really good.

They are a bit pricey at over £120 but you do get what you pay for, superb sound great build quality and running-proof!

Headphones or earphones?

If its the former: how do you manage the sweat! If its the latter, are they really worth the £££? I use Sony, went away from the brand for a while after realsing few sets last longer then a year or less with daily use (use for hours a day not just the odd tune!) then got sucked back in with the wireless earphones which I shortly followed up with a pair of normal silicon earphones for day to day use on my MP3 player, realised nothing else seems to sound as good!

Liked Sennheiser (sp?!) but just couldn't deal with listening to myself chew/tread steps/breath! did try but just couldn't get used to it. Bose were OK but not noise cancelling and so not worth the £££ (though got mine for far less then the RRP!) Just wondering where the MonsterBeats fit in comparison to other brands sound quality wise.

• I guess that as you've only used the mp3 earphones that come in the box, then you won't have experienced comfy in-ear noise isolating headphones. You also should look for hygienic headphones as you want to be able to clean/wash your earphones after exercise, as last thing you'll want is to return to training with a sweaty earphone with a muffled sound due to the perspiration drowning the speaker.

The Good Gear Guide identify the Denon AH-C360 as decent in-ear headphone that is durable and hygienic, that will stay in the ear during workout. Worth a punt at £30

Any Sennheiser is worth a look, especially the PMX 80 that retails at £15. Bargain. Also, I am a big fan of Urbanz's running headphones. Only £10 and are ear-hook earphones with an in-ear feel. A serious bargain for anyone that wants a better fit, and a step up from the generic white apple earphones.