Stockholm Marathon 2011

Since I couldn't find a Stockholm 2011 thread I thought I'd start a new one.  Is anyone else planning on doing it? If so then why not share all your training trials and tribulations?

Comments

• Hi Greg, Ill be there seems a long way away now

• Hi Muzza, I think at this time of year I always end up worrying that I don't have much time left to get in shape but you're right it's still 4 months away.  But it's amazing how the time flies - espeically if the training isn't going great!  This'll be my virst visit to Scandinavia and I can't wait.
  • Take lots of pennies... A pint of guinness cost me £9 a couple of weeks back !
  • It will only be that price in the main places, I been to Tallinn, and Run Helsinki twice, Scandinavia is a nice place from what i have seen and I am looking forward to this one, will buy a bott of red in airport for when I finish race tho, couple pints and Ill be sorted!

Greg, its the time of year m8, always feel rubbish with xmas anti climax, I got Gloucester sunday and I aint 100% but will be good to see where I am. then 5 more mara's before Stockholm so will be marathon fit by then I hope!

• This is my first marathon and I am looking forward to it and terrified in equal measure!

I have downloaded a training program from Runnersworld for the 16 weeks prior to the run. You guys have any pros or cons/advice on following these?

• Karl, They are pretty good i would imagine, as long as you build slowly to a 20 miler about 3 weeks before you will be just fine, on the day it will be easy as long as you get the hard bit in....training for it!

Have a listen to this, its great with some great tips and interviews, www.marathontalk.com its a free podcast you can download from itunes etc

• Hey Greg, Muzza and Karl, I'll be toeing the start line as well for this one. Going to be spending a few days in Stockholm before checking out a few countries around it so it should be a relaxed run.

We should catch up for a pre- or post-race beer, although maybe not a Guiness at those prices....!

• Im running this but don't aririve till the Friday night so will be collecting my number till Saturday morning then 3 days recovery.Where are people staying?
  • we fly friday am out of heathrow, will ask my m8 who booked us and find out, 4 of us going so a beer after sounds like a plan,image
  • There's two of us booked into the Globe Hotel for a few nights. I'll be arriving on the Thursday and flying back on the Tuesday.

Not long now until the start of the 16 week build up.  I'm following a mix of the FIRST training programme and the RW one and just substituted the tempo/speed sessions for my two weekly sessions with the running club.  This year I need to do more 20+ milers to really boost my endurance - I start off well but I have a habit of slowing down drastically towards the end. I should really be sub 4 hours but I struggle to get motivated for a 20-22 mile training run.  Anyway no more excuses!

• Greg, I am the same, 20-22s ahh god, image I just run a marathon a month or so then NO long runs over 13 in between, just shorter stuuff and lots of races, works really well for me and I am getting faster, definatly never suffer due to lack of endurance anymore. if anything I struggle in the middle, think I lack concentration but I always pick it up later on. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64854947 you can see on here where I struggled last wk, wasnt hills so dunno what it was,BUT I will get to the bottom of it!

If you dont fancy that, try doing 8-12m at your marathon pace on Saturday and then your long run 1 min a mile slower than marathon pace the next day, that will make you very strong, just make sure you have recovery weeks every 3rd week, do same key session but less miles.

Its not about loading up the miles at our standard its about training smart, try x training as well to stregthen the weaker muscles than running doesnt. gives the body a rest from pounding to image

• New start time of 11.30am
  • Yeah I saw the email, you know what that means!!! image more time for the pub afterwards!!!
  • Yeah but I don't arrive till Friday night so don't even get a lie in!!
  • You can sleep when ya dead m8 image
  • A message to Karl, you have made a great choice for your first marathon.

Last year was my first, and so far only, but the organisation was top class and from all accounts this is about the most picturesque city run you could have chosen.

You have probably already read about the dreaded Västerbron bridge, which you have to cross twice - the 2nd time at ~30 km and the approach I took and worked for me was to walk a little before and over it for that 2nd crossing.

I followed a 16 week program, but for various reasons only managed 10 of those weeks and completed in under 5 hours and was ok to do a 10 km run on the Tuesday - so follow the program and you will be fine.

Just take it easy, take plenty of fluids and enjoy the day - finishing in the old olympic stadium is something very special.

• Hello I'm really looking forward to Stockholm, did VLM last year and I'm half Swedish so Stockholm my face city in the world. Beautiful but hoping it won't be too hot.

My friend didn't get a place as he was too disorganised...anyone know if you can buy places off people who drop out or should he just give up?

Good luck with the training...at least spring is here now.
  • Hi Hannah,

You can keep an eye on blocket.se where there may be places on offer - only one at the moment (and it is not cheap), but maybe closer to the day more will be available.

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Startplats_Stockholm_Marathon_32381987.htm?ca=11&w=1

Spring has not quite arrived in Stockholm yet, but at least it will be time to swap the treadmill for running outside on the road instead of ice!

Good luck with getting the place and for the day.

• Thanks Peter, will keep my eye on that site.
    Hannah
  • The big day isn't too far away now. How's everyone's training going?

Mine has been an unmitigated disaster and I seem to be missing more weeks than I actually run. The injury of choice this time is a sore back - every marathon throws up a different injury and this looks to be the lastest.  Anyway I've refocused my objectives for this one and I'll be happy just to get round in one piece.  I'm still looking forward to it but I just need to be careful not to do anything silly over the next few weeks.

• Greg

I've run London and Belfast so this will be my 3rd marathon in 5 weeks not set myself a time goal and will be happy to join you in your get round approach  image

Only goal left break in some new shoes between now and race day

• Am doing this one, looks like it should be fun. Love the late spring marathon as it makes training so much more enjoyable - beats running in the dark before and after work!

Am a bit concerned about runnning a marathon at 11:30am - what temp can we expect?

Was blown away by the prices of the hotels. Got one 15 minutes walk from the start but had to pay an arm and a leg! Hope its worth it and I nail a PB.

• Sorry to hear that you're training hasn't been going to plan Greg. Conversely, glad to hear that yours has Paul.

I'm really looking forward to this one now. Like slowfoot (you are equally mad!) I'm backing up from a few so it will be my 5th in consecutive weekends in May (Belfast and Shakespeare done, Rich Park this weekend, Edinburgh next weekend) but I'm going to be giving it everything for a good time.

Has anyone read the course description? It's absolute class.

http://www.stockholmmarathon.se/start/content.cfm?Sec_ID=359&Rac_ID=199&Lan_ID=3
  • Staying at the Mornington hotel  again about 15mins from the start/finish
  • If you know of someone who has not signed up but would like to do it, then there are now lots available...

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm?q=marathon&cg=0&w=1&st=s&st=u&st=b&ca=11&l=0&md=th

and getting cheaper the closer it gets to the big day!

• Hi,
    As an ex-pat Brit living over here in Stockholm, welcome to Sweden!
    It's a great course for the marathon taking in some lovely parts of the city. Sure the västerbron bridge is tough but the views from the top are fantastic! (actually the bridge is not that bad. The first 100m as you ramp up onto the bridge are the worst. At least it is a steady gradient). Also quite a nasty rise at about 25 km up to Manillaskolan (check the map). Generally though, the course is pretty flat (ok not like London or Berlin but pretty flat).
    I'm checking the weather forecasts for Saturday but at the moment they are vague and contradictory. Will post up here when I see more on TV.
    Recommended pubs for a drink after are the Liffey or Wirströms in Gamla Stan. Alternatively the Southside directly outside Zinkensdam tube.
    If anyone needs any specific advice about Srockholm or the course, just ask.
    Good luck all!
    Cheers Deri
  • Anyone thought about theeffects of the  ash cloud?
  • First vaguely reliable weather report says about 15oC and showers for Saturday. That would be great. Hope all you coming over from the UK don't get screwed by the volcano
  • its looking promising now, we fly on friday so everything crossed!