Asics or Brooks

I've done 3 half marathons and have always been an Asics runner, however, I keep reading reviews on Brooks shoes (Ghost 3 and Adrenaline GTS 11) to replace my Asics Gel-Cumulus 11...

Any advice would be great?

Many thanks

Andy (aka Vinnie)

Comments

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Just get the shoes you like, doesn't matter what brand they are.
  • Thanks Mr Puffy - indeed I'm no brand person but it seems that people are swapping from Asics to Brooks and it must be for a reason??
  • Vinnie, I was a Cumulus man for several years. When I replaced my yellow 10s with the new blue and red 11s just before Christmas, i found that they'd raised the arch slightly and that started giving me a lot of pain through the sole of my foot that I'd never had before. So I switched to Brooks Glycerin 8s and absolutely love them. I actually persevered with the Cumulus and they did get better over time (although it took a while) and now alternate between the Glycerins and the Asics. I'd definitely recommend the Glycerin 8 to a Cumulus user. I tried the Ghost 3 as part of the process and much preferred the Glycerin by the way.
  • Hi there,

Just getting back into running, being a touch over weight I went or the Asics Nimbus 12's for the cushioning, some really good reviews..but I should have kept reading, it seems some folk suffer with pain in the right foot, metatarsalgia, that I used to suffer with and although my running is going really well, around the 8 or 9 mile mark on long runs, I have been suffering from the same complaint..its rather weird and I'm thinking of writing to Asics about this, especially as others have mentioned it also.

That aside, I've had Brooks years ago, great make, but like the others say above...go with what feels right!

Enjoy!

Red

• Vinnie, get thee to a proper running shop (not JJB or SPortsdirect) and get a proper fitting. Don't worry about brand, get the right shoes for you.
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    The Adrenaline is a completely different type of shoe to the Ghost and Cumulus. It's a support shoe whilst the others are neutral.
  • right, off I go to Up and Running in Watford and I'll try some on

thank you all very much for your advice - really appreciate it

BTW - just come back from a 6 mile run this evening and to be honest my current shoes are not causing me any troubles but I've done about 300 miles in them over the past year and I feel that I should really change them!

• what are the signs for replacing running shoes? mine feel fine it's just that I've had them over a year and run every week in them?

• I don't think there's one correct answer to the question, "When should I replace my shoes?" This article: http://running.about.com/od/runningshoereviews/tp/replacerunningshoes.htm seems to catch the key points.
  • many thanks Rennur - great stuff!!!

• JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

Get whichever has the snazziest colour image

Serioulsy, the only way to tell is to try them out and even them it is stil a bit of guesswork.

Not read the article but at 300 miles plus I would be thinking about getting another pair and running them in parallel with your current ones. I think 500 miles is seen as pretty much the maximum you should get  before you relegate them to casual/gardening/spare pair

John

• thanks John - you guys have been invaluable!

cheers

Vinnie

• Just to update the forum here - you'll be pleased to know after trying on a number of pairs of shoes in Up & Running in Watford (very helpful shop by the way), that I plumped for a pair of Asics Gel Cumulus 12 as they felt the most comfortable... The Brooks ones were not for me at all.

Thanks all for the help

Vinnie