Talkback: Welcome to our new Yoga for Runners blog

Ooh, exciting! I will follow with interest....

Comments

• This sounds great! I will be keeping an eye out for new blogs too. 

• awesome! i started to do yoga regularly in January and it has definitely helped my running! 
  • >>> The heated room obviously makes you sweat heavily, which helps to flush away toxins and impurities and improve circulation.

Yoga has done wonders for my running and doing Yoga in a heated room probably has some good benefits, but the "sweating out toxins" thing is a myth. From Columbia University's Health Services:
    http://goaskalice.com/7781.html

". . . inducing heavy sweating is not an effective method of ridding your body of toxins — though it's very good at ridding your body of vital fluids, potentially leading to dehydration. Sweating releases traces of toxins (less than 1% of the body's total content), but in reality, its sole purpose is to prevent overheating. The liver and kidneys (not the sweat glands) are the body's true detoxifiers. They filter toxins out of the blood and the body releases them through urine and feces."

A good a good electrolytic solution is 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, 1/3 teaspoon of salt (preferably celtic sea salt).

>>> 5000 years old, yoga

While the philosophy and practice of Yoga is likely thousands of years old, the Asanas (Postures) aspect of Yoga in it's current form is only about 100 years old.

• This article caught my eye this morning just as I am about to go outside to do some yoga in the garden! I have been practising yoga on and off for years and it is brilliant, not just for keeping me flexible for running but also for getting rid of back and shoulder problems that creep up and get me from time to time. I am not super bendy and the lotus is not for me, but that doesn't matter!

The benefits that I did not expect from yoga include strength - some of the postures are pretty challenging - and improved concentration, especially with the balancing postures. Also, it makes me feel more grounded.

Must go -  I have a sun to salute!

• I nearly had to give up running a few years back because of a degenerated lower spine (prolapsed)....Started Yoga becuase of free classes at a local Gym I was using at the time and have never looked back!

I still get back problems and have to be very careful when handling goods or bending, but running regularly now as well as Triathlons etc.

Don't go to classes anymore but try and preactise at home following recoreded TV classes (although not easy to follow when trying to perform the poses) but do try to do a Sun Salutation every a.m. & p.m. (more if poss') and sure this helps.

If my back does go, it now normally only lasts a day or so whereas before Yoga, it was sometimes months!!

• I have run the London marathon 6 times, 2 years on and 2 years off since 2000.  The first 2 years I had physio throughout my training to enable me to finish the course.  In 2002 I took up yoga and for the 2004 marathon improved my time by just under an hour to 4.24 and didn't need a jot of physio.  Yoga has done wonders for my running, posture and general health not to mention my ability to relax.  It's such a great contrasting and complementary exercise to running and is far from lying down breathing in a dark room.  The yoga I practice has a fantastic heat inducing warm up, a good mix of flexibility, balance and strength moves and a very calming cool down with spirituality thrown in for good measure, what is not to love? Mind body and soul, they're not wrong.
  • I'm taking up yoga again as I've had so many problems with my back and feet lateley.  Used to do it many years ago and it was probably one of the best things I ever did.  Got my first class on Thursday next week.  I'm trying a different sort of yoga - a Korean version which is more as much about the mind as the body - it all sounds a bit new age to me but I'm reading a fascinting book about it.  It's as much about training the mind as the body and where I'm at at the moment this sounds what I need.  I'm also going to be doing some Hatha yoga classes with my daughter.  I'm looking forward to a stronger more flexible, calmer, happier me.
  • What type of yoga are you doing please? I'm thinking of tackling my first marathon next year and have been looking at doing some yoga classes too but with so many different types, I wasn't quite sure which one would benefit my running so if you could let me know which one you are doing, I'd be most grateful.
  • I would recommend yoga retreat.

I have been to a few yoga holidays in St Lucia which helped me to get rid of my back ache.

• I'd like to suggest Ashtanga Yoga, ultimate stretching and core strength. 
  • Well I'd love to try Bikram yoga - challenge is finding somwhere that does it!!!

And there’s me thinking I lived in a cosmopolitan area of the country (Chester, North West) with close links to Liverpool/Manchester – hmmmm but can I find??? Nope!  image

• Hey Rob

There is a bikram yoga centre in Manchester, its in the norther quarter, nearish to the Buddhist centre - which also does yoga lessons I think.

• I've signed up for yoga classes, got my first one tomorrow evening. Doesn't actually say what specific type of yoga it is, so I hope we're not doing it in a heated room.

Wondering if I'm going to be the only guy in the room... 

• found some with a distance just need to get a little closer to Chester/Runcorn now.. image

Liverpool

http://www.yoga-nation.co.uk/

L4 3qd

Manchester

http://www.bikramyogamanchester.co.uk/Default.aspx

MP4 1Pd

• Is there any good Yoga Centers anyone can recommend in Edinburgh? Moving there for a few months in July due to work.

• Great to see more yogablogs online! I am a yoga teacher myself and very passionate runner. the combination of the 2 is great !! thanks for sharing! http://alexiaku.wordpress.com
  • Hey Running Yogis and Yogini's -

I'm facilitating a series of specific yoga workshops for runners this spring 2012. If you're curious about yoga as a cross training tool, or looking at how to tailor your existing practice to your running needs then these are for you. 

Follow this link for details on Yoga for Runners around the south coast.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dfce2803cb5ccbb501b2ff22a&id=21514578a5

Warmest wishes, Emma