Frinton & Walton Half Marathon

Don't know if this link will work or not, but plotted out this course from an old drawn map on GMAPs. Forgive any inaccuracies.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4393039

Hope this helps anyone preparing to do this.

See you there.

Comments

• Done this a couple of years ago and loved it so I will be giving it another go this year, but watch out..........if its windy the breeze will catch you along the sea front, However if the suns-a-shinning the crowds are out and its just brilliant running in front of the little beach huts image
  • I'm thinking about taking the plunge and doing this half marathon, having run a few 10, 12 milers I think I should just get on with it (was originally going to do a few 15+milers to consolidate and then the Southend half). Is it likely I will be able to enter on the day? If so what time should I get there?
  • easy to enter on the day i`m planning on that, probably need to be there about an hour before the start but thats only me being careful as i want to be able to sort myself and park etc without any last minute rush, but its well worth taking the plunge as it is a nice run image
  • Flat FootedFlat Footed ✭✭✭

By a strange coincidence i'm in Walton for a family do next saturday, what a great chance to have a run as well.

Fantastic, see you all there...............image

• I'm running my 2nd Half with my wife Silversoul. Its her 1st Half. Looking forward to it. Never done this one before (previous Half, Brentwood - where I was injured in 2007 and only started running again 6 months ago). My Uncle and Brother are also running. Good luck to all those taking part.
  • Nice to see its a family affair Goldsenheart!, weather is supposed to be good so everybody should enjoy this, have fun those who are running and keep the support coming for those who are spectating
  • The FoonThe Foon ✭✭✭

So much depends on the weather and wind direction - if it's kind, the three miles along the prom will be wonderful - by the beach huts and ice cream vans!

This is a 'local' race, but good that so many from outside the area want to give it a go - have fun with the relative flat nature of the course and fresh air! It's my 4th half of the year; long may the weather stay kind.

• At the mile markers on the sea front they should be handing out ice creams if its warm. Which is the best one to dunk on your head if they run out of sponges?

On seconds thoughts just checked BBC weather http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2370?area=Frinton light rain is forecast image( for sunday, 17C.

Good luck to all running, see you at the start line.
  • Amen Flat Footed. Good luck to all. Fingers Crossed for the weather.

• well the fingers didn`t work but in all honesty its great running in the rain too as it keeps  you cool !!! image always the optomist!! Have a good run everybody!
  • Hi Nurse Gladis. I guess your already there then. Forecasts on the BBC say that the rain will have passed on for the start and stay dry for the race. Fingers are still crossed......................can you tell I'm not a running in the rain lover. Good luck to all again.
  • Was a good one - but hot!!!  Where did that come from?

Goldenheart and myself completed it in 2hr 3mins together (his 2nd half, my first).  Very proud to say we didn't walk at all - but we are both slightly sunburnt now!

Good times  image

• Sunburnt and the lower limbs are a tad weary. What a great day and run. Marshals good on the whole. Crowd support good and water stations. Mile markers poor. Well done to all. How did you do?
    Well done my silversoul. Proud of you.
    The fingers crossed more than worked in the end.
  • The FoonThe Foon ✭✭✭

It was warm wasn't it! Nice tan though, and the sponge stations helped keep me cool. Bit of a direction problem around mile 12 where I was called back to go left and not straight on, but with all the twists and turns, the (marshall) support was fantastic.

Pleased with 1.30+ and but for the last 2-miles ......

• Agreed The Foon. I have quite a tan as well (23 degrees). Your right, with all the twists and turns the marshals did well ( I also ran on at 12 and got called back. Those last 2/3 miles were hard uphill. All in all a good day.
    Already looking forward to doing this next year.
    Well done on your time The Foon.

My advice for next year...don't suck the sponges! Thought it was a great race, more hilly then i could have imagined it would have been.....Just ducked under the 1.40 mark.....What was the issue with the mile markers...other then the 8 mile one on the sea front they all looked in place/in the right area?

Anyone know where i can find the results

• Yeah, I might give the sponge sucking a swerve as well.

We only saw about five of the mile markers. The rest didn't seem very obvious and 1 had spun out of position, but its a minor gripe on what was a good run and day.

Good time Flat Footed. My Bro came in at 1.38 and my Uncle 1.54

Haven't seen the results posted up yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

• The FoonThe Foon ✭✭✭

No sign of the results yet either - have found an interesting article posted by one runner:

<a href="http://www.hemelcycling.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1071" title="http://www.hemelcycling.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1071">http://www.hemelcycling.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1071</a>and I don't know what I was doing, but I didn't see a single mile marker - how rubbish am I !Was it the grit or saltiness that put you off the sponges? I kept mine and showered with it later.
  • That was an interesting read. Didn't experience any marshalling issues myself, but then I was about 3/4's of the way down the field, so any slip ups would have been corrected by the time I came past (you hope).

Looking to do the Southend Half next.

• The FoonThe Foon ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that - have you checked the Mersea Island races? The 10-mile is a nice event, and I'm doing the 'Round the Island' for the first  time this year - about 13-miles they say.
  • This sounds interesting. Its just up the road from me and I've never run this before. Late August I believe. I'll keep it on my radar TF, as I'm training and building my legs up for doing my 1st ever marathon in the 1st half of next year.
  • Has anyone seen results for this yet?

There are two Mersea race dates, the round the island is 26th June about 13-14 miles multi terrain and the 28th August for either a 5mile or 10 mile (2 laps) road course.

Details are here http://www.merseaislandraces.co.uk/index.htm

Only just down the road from me as well but I'm away for the round the island oneimage

• No results seen yet.
    I'm also away for the round island race, but the August 10 maybe a good one for me.
  • The FoonThe Foon ✭✭✭

Stil no results ....

Good news you're looking at the Mersea 10 - if I run Round the Island i shall keep you posted. Liz, were you talking to my other half, Laura, at the end of Frinton?

GoldenHeart, what is your chosen Marathon? I'm looking at Nottingham this September, my 5th! You'e right to keep the legs trained; they have a very good memory and know what to expect!

• Finally found results

https://gateway01.lpplus.net/schools/TTC/website/Pages/Funrun.aspx

Foon - may have been talking to your other half, I tend to chat a lot image

Towards the end I was talking to a lady in orange (I think) wearing a baseball cap who I had chatted with towards the start and then after the race I had a chat with a lady who had also done the Colchester half, unfortunately I didn't get a name but I was wearing a blue Colchester Bootcamps vest.

I'm doing my first marathon in October so building up the mileage for that!

• The FoonThe Foon ✭✭✭

Nice one - the results are out !!

Well done on finding them, and good luck with the October marathon - have you chosen one yet?

and we both did the Colchester half, so it must have been her; such a contrast between the races!

• Yep, very different races both had their pluses and minuses, I think I enjoyed Colchester more because I had people there supporting me and although I didn't like the two lap format I have to say that the seafront at Frinton seemed to go on forever.

I think the last little loop at Frinton, before you got back to the finish nearly destroyed one chap who thought we were nearly finished and asked me if I knew how much further it was, when I said it was another 2.5 miles he just visibly crumpled!

I am doing the Istanbul marathon on the 16th October - my first so I am nervously looking forward to it.

• Anyone know if this is on this year??