Options

VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Options

Good luck to USB and Mark's daughter/son in law.  Good weather for it, at least it's cooled down a bit.

We're off for general silliness with the hashers, followed by a beery BBQ.  Run 1701 in matching red t-shirts proudly bearing the slogan "Cambridge Hash House Harriettes - a better class of tart" for the women, whilst the boys' shirts tell the world they're a better class of drunk.  Wonder if I should change my RW profile to 'serious competitive athlete'? image

• Options
    Hash. wrote (see)

Wonder if I should change my RW profile to 'serious competitive athlete'? image

Definetely Hash, drinking can be very competetive at times image
    mark I hope yourlot have a good run, your daughter and onin law need to do their own race, with your training I'm sure your daughter will have a good run, hopefully neither of them will go off to quick.

Right off to the club for me have a good day all.

• Options

Daughter 2.03 and son in law G did 1.56 on my timing only. Official times to follow. They went off with plenty of our RW advice ringing in their ears and they managed to stay around 9.15 then G left Jane and went for it in the last three miles. Good day for running though bit windy going out, which slowed them alittle and then down hill and tail wind coming back. Good stadium to start and finish in too. I was stood watching the winners come in at 1.11 and then until J and G arrived in the stadium. Will post a piccie later.

Happy weekend all.image

• Options
    Brilliant running by both, it must be the coaching image
  • Options
    Well done to the Sheffield crew.
  • Options

Whoopimage  Great going Jane and G

Someone I could touch with a very short stick has been asleep most of the afternoon after several down downs too many, one of which was half a pint of warm pinot grigio image   I'm so glad I was driving!

• Options

You got away lightly in a way Hash as you won't be feeling rubbish later on this evening image

Did the LSR thi morning 13.37 miles  1.49.31 @8.11 average, the legs feel a little stiff just now but I  am pleased to be keeping up the longer distances, this time last year was when it sort of went a bit wrong so I will learn from that.

Has anyone heard how Bridget has got on?

• Options

Nice run Rod......keeping at it. Hash you need to become a serious athlete and watch that other stuff!!!

The coaching was all from here thanks for the last year or so of input it all helps. There were some serious mistakes made by some out on the roads of Sheffield today, one guy who went off to quick was being helped over the finishing line by his mates around 1.40 so he knew what he was doing the legs went completely like jelly poor chap. Greg is abit stiff now but did manage to kick a football around for a few minutes at the park, while I was watching emphasis on the watching cricket.

My calf is bruising at the front now yellow and green colour must have been all the standing this morning. Will I ever run again!!!

WHere is USB?

• Options
    Here!  I have finally managed to finish a marathon in 2011 but it ranks next to slowest for my road ones.  However I realised at 25.5 miles what a big deal it was just to be finishing so not too upset (I cried on the line but that was because I'd finished not because of the time)
  • Options
    Well done Congrats USB on finishing a marathon in 2011..........image I haven't run in a race let alone raced properly this year so fantastic achievement after all the tough training you did through the winter.
  • Options

Well done USB.  So is it onwards to your Ultra now?

What was it like as a race?  I've heard its really well organised.

• Options

It was a great race Suze.  We were able to leave up to 3 drinks to have at the drink stations so I made up 2 bottles of electrolyte drink and put them at 6/18 and 12/24 miles (drank half each time).  Someone checked if you had a drink to collect and then shouted out your number so it was waiting for you image  It has 2 laps within it that form a figure of 8 so masses of supporters at the crossover which you went through 4 times.  Goody bag full of edible goodies ......................   Have I sold it to you yet?

The Ultra is 4 weeks yesterday.  I'm just going to run it with an eye to the overall pace needed to make the cut offs built into it.  There is a slight temptation to try to run it without a watch but I don't think I'll manage that

• Options

Morning all image

Long time no chat!  Sorry image

Hope everyone is ok and no injuries etc.  Have read back a couple of pages so well done to USB!  Mark's daughter and anyone I have missed too

I have been so busy in my world at the moment is eat, train, eat, work, train, eat, sleep!  (In various combinations) How I did this when I worked in the office I will never know and how people with families cope is beyond me!

• Options

Hello all!!

not run a step as been feeling a bit off par- think i was in shock that si actually got round to asking me!  Have been a bit of an emmotional wreck to be honest but hopefully will get out to stretch my legs tomorrow!!

well done on finishing USB- what ultra are you doing again?

• Options

Vik W... shock can have strange effect on people.... image

Help required..image.... has anyone run the Stevenage half marathon or the St Neots half.  My number one son want to run a half marathon with his old man as training for next years VLM so am looking for either of these and of course Bedford (but can't find a date as yet fo this one ) 

• Options

Think St Neots is supposed to be dead flat and really good.

Had no phone line or internet at home for days and too busy at work to get on here - doing 2 peeps jobs this week!

Did 9 miler fast at the weekend which felt great and 2 long walks of 5.25 and 2.5 miles with Mr Pinks so got his confidence (and mine!) back up and on an exercise and healthy eating programme.

Well done to everyone running and racing - catch up soonimage 

• Options

Good to hear Mr T is on the mend and walking and building up strength.  My exercise regime is pretty much zero due to the calf muscle which is bruised right to the front now. Looks a good colour. Roll on a couple of weeks when it clears up.

Enjoyed watching Sheffield but really would have preferred to be running.

You are getting serious now RIO as the date gets nearer then. Good luck with staying fit.

Whats the Ultra USB?

Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure

• Options

Stevenage is ok a sort of  lapper which finishes in an athletics stadium, my only observation was that there are a few underpasses to be navigated which slows you up a bit, apart from that I seem to remeber it is pretty flat, Hash I think may have more i formation than me.

Glad all is ok with you and OH Pinks,.you are running well at the moment.

I had a bad run today, frst one in ages, last 2 miles I had little energy.

• Options

Hope you are ok Rod - not like you to have a bad run.

Pinks - glad Mr P is getting back to full strength.

USB - I was toying with the idea of doing the Halstead marathon a few years ago when I thought I would never get a place in London.  I quite like the idea of doing the training and trying it with no pressure as I've heard its such a friendly race.

Tonight is the handicap race at my club - approx 4.5km.  It is a different course in the summer and I think its off road.  I didn't do it last month as I was in my taper.  Looking forward to having a good run, its been a busy few days.

• Options
    Confirmation Suze that I will be at Bluewater as well as Euen Thomas.... he is running I am not...
  • Options

St Neot's is lovely.  Quite a few nice houses to ogle image

The Ultra is the Dartmoor Discovery

• Options

Gatton - I look forward to seeing you there.  It's not a club championship race but from the sound of it I think there should be a good number of DRR entering.

USB - thats one of the joys of a LSR, having a good old nose at the big housesimage

Had a fair run last night, was my first time on the summer handicap course and did ok.  Hope to do better next time as now I know to save a bit for a hill 3/4 of the way round.

• Options

To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world.

You could write that on an engagement card!!!image

Good running Suze you are doing well and staying fit...............wish I was still cant run due to the calf but it has only been 10 days. Very frustrating.................

Everyone is obviously working hard. Bit quiet here. New sales commercial manager appointed for Europe coming over from Holland in a couple of weeks, my boss is worried understandably in these uncertain times. 

How is the new job going Hash?

daughter went out for a four mile recovery run this morning at 7am. She is talking about doing the GNR for a charity place if she can find one and doing it with me IF I am fit, she said understandably.........

Have a good evening all. My bosses wife just setting off to do the coast to coast over the next three days me thinks she will get abit wet. 

• Options
    Hi all it is a bit quiet on here but thats the way it goes sometimes, I hope you get sorted soon Mark its been a while now. I have run 7.19 miles today 8.12, feel a lot better which is good, just need to run a mile a minute faster in my 10K come Sunday image
  • Options

Hi all, not looked in for a while thanks to this roller coaster I call my life. 

Gatton wrote (see)

Help required..image.... has anyone run the Stevenage half marathon or the St Neots half.  My number one son want to run a half marathon with his old man as training for next years VLM so am looking for either of these and of course Bedford (but can't find a date as yet fo this one ) 

St Neots is way, way nicer Gatton.  There's one short sharp hill at mile 3, which you get to "enjoy" again at mile 9.  It's a really pretty figure of 8 course, one of my favourites.  Stevenage is..... well, Stevenage.  Lots of road, up and down underpasses, two laps of respite around Fairlands Valley Park, but not really a patch on St Neots.  

Fantastic news on Mr Pinksimage  

Mark, how's the calf now?

Rio, lovely to see you in here even if it's only a brief pop in

Last day at work today, after which I'll be running home.  Huge symbolism in that - running away, running towards the future, you name it.  I'm going to be an emotional mess about leaving some lovely friends behind, and I'm worried about how the change will affect me and Blouse as a couple - me working 9 to 6 (at least) in London, him still looking.  That said, we've been so, so unhappy there in recent years and the atmosphere is foul, so we're well out of it.   

I'm starting the new job on Monday.  Got the sharp haircut yesterday, still long but a bit more socially accepable.  Killer suit, make up, heels........   This is so different from the running, veg-growing, chicken-keeping, home-made-bread producing real me.  Wibbleimage  On the plus side I'm really excited about a fresh start, the job itself, new people.  How sad is it to have downloaded a bunch of London-specific i-phone apps and to be checking the status of tube lines three days before I start!

• Options
    ((Hash))  Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    Ooops, sorry Bridget, edited as it didn't sound right.  But thanks for the hugs anyway, always welcome.  I suspect I'll be dishing out and getting quite a few of those today!   Three packets of tissues in the handbag......
  • Options
    Thanks for the help Hash... looks like the one to try with number one son...Good luck with your new job I hope it works out well for you..... you deserve to have some luck...
  • Options

Hash good luck with the new job.  I have been working in the same place for 9 years today image  That's the longest I have worked in one place.  I hope you enjoy the new one.  We spend a lot of time in work so it is important to be as happy as you can be doing it.

I am having a bad day already (being Friday 13th I suppose its to be expected) but it is not boding well for my swim with 1K tt and short run later!  Hopefully I will survive unscathed

Happy thoughts everyone image

• Options

All the best for the new job and keep looking forward. Did four years in London dont miss that commute must admit prefer three miles on the Monsal Trail into Bakewell instead of an hour or two on the North Circular. I used to drive from Mill HIll to Wembley in the 1980s. Took me three hours one day it snowed!! Anyway the train is easier......you wil be fine I am sure.

The calf is easing but still walking slowly. Chatsworth Horse Trials with the youngest this weekend she is excited I am not!! Enjoy your weekends whatever you are doing. Forgotten what its like to run but feeling blue with no exercise hopefully next week will see enough improvement to get on the bike at least.