'Mature' runners.

Comments

• hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    Another interval session this afternoon, this time comprising 1.5 miles warm up and warm down, with 8 x 330 yds and 90 sec jog recoveries. Splits were :- 1.18 1.23 1.23 1.24 1.20 1.21 1.21 1.20.
  • Red will have gone, so will just send positive thoughts her way.

OT, well done on the Half.

Club session tonight series of timed runs from the same start point, then turn on the whistle and try & pick up the pace. About 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 & 2 minutes (slightly less as we managed to get back quicker - partly due to uphill out and downhill back! Still had jelly legs by the last one. Total 6.15 miles including warm-up and cool-down.

JJ, probably a touch of both. 55.03 is still a very good time for a 70 year old, and I'm sure in an actual race, you would go quicker. I find that no matter how hard I do a training run, it is never as fast as race pace.

• JJ,   I would say that 8.46 minute miles is a jolly fine time to do at your age of 127.  And without wheels or a motor! image

Seriously, that is a good time and many would be pleased to achieve that including me!  You may have run faster in the past and also on the day there could well have been many factors involved if you expected to be faster.  Be pleased with what you have achieved though!

Evenin to the rest......  I ran this mornin before work and it has to be said I run much faster in the morning to evening runs.  I wonder why that is.  I just feel more energised after a night's sleep!  Isn't it strange how the ole body works but evenin' runs for me prove to be slower and I am less motivated.

I must say that people who know me will remember me 6/7/8 years ago when I was running like a mad woman and completing marathons (not competitively) but I was very keen and eager to progress.  it could be said I was a tad obsessive at times.  Well time off and maturity has sorted that out now and whilst I really enjoy running the edge has gone off for me and it's really strange trying to keep motivated.  Especially running on my own which I do at times.  I don't seem to have the buzz I had which is a real shame and would love it if it returned.  I also know for sure that I need recovery time more now than I did 6 years ago!  I wouldn't have thought at 47 I would be like that but running every other day and I surely need my rest. 

Sad to admit that I am getting older!!! image

Still bonkers (in Meerkat's words) image

• Thats one of the reasons while i'm still running at 60, i'm stark raving bonkers image

Just a 3 mile bimble after dipping a paint brush in a tin of paint all day..image

JJ, age deteriation kicked on in me ages ago, welcome to the owd gets club image

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Wabbit, you're a babe in arms.

I didn't start running till my late 50s. I don't do many races, but I do enjoy the running. This may be partly because of the beautiful surroundings I am frequently running through. 

Yesterday I had hoped to have a seaside run, as I was in Aberystwyth for a day's work. Only problem was, it turned out I hadn't brought my trainers. All the rest of my running stuff yes, but trainers no. 

When I got home, there were the trainers sitting in the hall by the front door so that I couldn't possibly forget them... or could I. So I put them on and went for a run through the gathering dusk. Not quite the same as the sea front with splashing waves and the smell of wet seaweed. 

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Just back from leading a 12 day pilrimage to the Holy Land (in the wee small hours of this morning). I managed one run (other days were too full) around the walls of Jerusalm (hilly!), and confirm it is 2.78 miles.

Mum died on Wednesday morning.

I may not get another run for a few days as I've come back to lots of 'stuff', but not giving up on my dream of preparing properly for an Autumn marathon.

Helegant, very sorry to hear of the death of your Mother. I will pray for her. Good luck with your training for an Autumn Marathon.

Columba, you must have had "A Senior Moment."

Wabbit and OT, I think I must be mad, also, as at 65, I am still just as keen a runner and trainer as I was in my forties. I didn't take running seriously until I was 41, and I haven't looked back since. I have just got slower and slower.image

• So sorry to hear about your mum, Helegant - you're in my thoughts.

Frustrating about your trainers Columba, but well done for fitting in a run anyway.

Like OT I fitted in 3 miles yesterday,as an 'extra'. OUt with the club for a forest run shortly.

Ditto to getting slower, Terence.I started later than you, at 50 and am certainly still quicker than when I started, but slower than a couple of years ago.
  • Sorry about your mum, Helegant.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

JJ - You must have been a Boy Scout.

Helegant - my prayers will join TE's.

This morning I ran to the town lake, 3 times round it fastish with 3-minute walk breaks between, and back home again. Circuits of lake are getting gradually but gratifyingly faster.  

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

"I wouldn't head to the Middle East at the moment" That made me smile. image

Sproglet arrived back from Egypt last night and took some extra time to explore Cairo and environs, tried to get to Alexandria but was stopped by tanks, and had several conversations with taxi drivers and locals about the 'troubles'. The peaceful co-existence and mutual support didn't get reported on the news channels for three days.

I was interested in her 'adventures' and said that various people had asked me if I was worried about her (basically no, she is generally aware). She laughed and said "You phoned me from the Syrian border" (we were travelling through Druze country). Apparently her travelling companions thought that was potentially 'dangerous' too.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

We discovered that over half of our pilgrimage group had been leaders of Baden Powell groups. Several were already accomplished singers, so our evening of camp-fire-songs-with-wine on the hotel roof overlooking the walls of Jerusalem will be one of my long-term memories.

Our guide had never heard the 'Woad Ode' before, so we managed to teach him something new. Among my lifetime achievements I'm quite pleased with that one image.

Sunny today, but with a very cold wind. I ran 9 miles in the forest at a steady pace and my average was 9.32. I was pleased with this, as the wind made it hard going at times. There were lots of walkers in the forest today, all with their maps and walking sticks etc. There were also plenty of cyclists.

Today was the Beaulieu Auto Jumble and there were many "old bangers" making their way there. Many had camped overnight in the forest. In my final mile, I passed some campers who were having a fry up. The smell made me feel very hungry.

Anyone watching the Eurovision Song Contest tonight? I believe France are the favourites, but Blue and Jedward are in with a good chance.

• Sorry Terence, I have to admit that since Terry Wogan gave up presenting it, the song contest leaves me absolutely cold. Listening to our Tel's sarcastic commentary was the best thing about the programme. I can't stand Graham Norton either.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Helegant - I don't think I know the Woad Ode.

Maybe I'll Google it. 

My husband used to watch the Eurovision song contest with the sound turned off. 

(probably still does, but as we're no longer under the same roof I can't be sure). 

Ran about 4 miles in about 55 minutes this afternoon. 

• My association with paint tins and paint brushes is over hopefully i can now get back to some  worth while running.

Helen i'm sorry to hear you have lost your mum, God bless.                I understand you are training for an autumn marathon, which one ? and may i ask if you will be running Brighton again next year?

Like everyone, i watched the Eurovision last night and car'nt believe that the rubbish Jedward sung got more points than Blue, i think its time we pulled out of the contest altogether.

Good luck and positive vibes to Redhead.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

IW - his explanation was that he wanted to know who was winning without having to listen to the silly songs.

Helegant - I looked up the Woad Ode; and no, I hadn't come across it before. But then, I have led a very sheltered life...

NRD.

Sunny but windy today.

Did an inteerval session this afternoon, comprising 1.5 miles warm up and warm down, and 8 x 330 yds with 90 sec jog recoveries. The wind was in the opposite direction today, so the odd no's were into the wind, as splits confirm :- 1.21 1.18 1.24 1.20 1.25 1.20 1.24 1.20. Plenty of ponies in the field, many with their foals, so I was a bit wary, as the mothers are very protective.

• Been doing only club, track tuesdays, road thursdays and a longer Sunday run.8 miles yesterday then wound up in hossy with gastro (prawns), fully recovered now. Vicodin, if that's how it's spelled, is marvelous stuff, no wonder I keep hearing of addiction to it on American telly programs (eg House).With anti-emetic and saline did the job in no time.

Helegant thoughts with you on sad news.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Digit - was that just a bad reaction to prawns, or was there something seriously wrong with those particular prawns?

8.17 miles this morning, in just barely over 2 hours. 

• kiwiscanflykiwiscanfly ✭✭✭

Hi all. How's things? Back again after another forum hiatus. Off to Riga for marathon number 2 this weekend, then that is it until Berlin later on in the year.

Sad news about Sammy Wanjuru . RIP.

Kiwi, good luck for your marathon at the weekend! Look forward to your race report, in due course.

Agree, very sad to hear of the death of Sammy Wanjuru, he had such a brilliant future ahead of him, and a probable world record breaker.

• kiwiscanflykiwiscanfly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Terence.Yeah it was sad.London winner in 2009 !!