VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear but around in awareness.

One for Hash on Monday.................image

• Best of luck Hash with the new job, I didn't realise you were still going in to the old one image

Still onwards and upwrds let us all know how it is going once you have settled in.

A short run and the gym today for me.

• Ooh Mark I will take her to Chatsworth.  My idea of heaven!!  Take your wallet!  I am always amazed how the horses jump those fences they are just soooo huge and solid.  Would scare me silly!

Hope you are running again soon or at least able to do something.  Its stupid isn't it that when we can train we don't want to but when we can't..........

• Hash - hope your day goes ok and good luck for the new job. 

I miss working in the city - more to the point I miss the choice of places to go for lunch.  I'd love a clam chowder soup from Eat or some sushi from itsu.  Oh well looks like I will be braving the site canteen along with several thousand hungry builders, fish & chip Friday, and maybe a chocolate sponge pudding with custard tooimage

Only 17 days till my next race, the Bupa London 10k.  Need to do a bit more speed work but I would also like to get in a semi long run too - say 8 to 9 miles just to keep a hand in on some distance stuff.

Mark - have fun at the horses. 

• Mark Street 2 wrote (see)

Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear but around in awareness.

One for Hash on Monday.................image

Love that, thanks Mark, and thanks everyone for the good wishes.  The run home yesterday was pure therapy, and I absolutely refuse to admit to any of the cheesey bilge that was playing on the i-pod!

Suze, what is this speedwork of which you speak? image.  

• Hash working in the city will be amazing and you will be used to the commute in a week or two. I LOVE London its amazing and Suze is right about the places to eat etc and so much to see and do even just people watching on the commute/tube/walk to work!! Exciting times ahead!!
  • I may even get to come on here next week - hopefully not so manic at work and have internet back on at home!!

Interval session plus weights etc for an hour and a half Saturday morning (6am no less!!) and 10 mile steady this morning with the gang. Lots of short speed and cardio with weights and resistance training this week - got a bikini to get into in less than 2 weeks...........I'm a little scared something may happen to get it cancelled all over again but I'm really really looking forward to a holiday!!!!!!!!!
  • Hash - good luck for your first day image
  • Hi USB how is your head???  Did you have a hangover?!?image
  • Hope today went well for you Hash.....
    Pinks where are you of to..... remembers to keep away from wherever it may be...
  • Hi all, firstly I hope your first day is going well Hash, have you taken the rolling pin with you? image

Sounds like your training is going well Pinks, no let up in Bedford I did the Northbrook 10K yesterday, an undulating course with some fairly long uphill bits and a fast last 2.5 K. I arrived there not feeling that confident ut had a good run with a strong finish and clocked 45.34 so more than pleased with that.

Will be at the Bedford 6 tomorrow, looking forward to that.

• Good luck tonight Rod. I remember doing that race with you and Kim as my first post-injury, what a birthday pressie that was.

Pinks there aren't many people who know there are two 6ams on a Saturday, but most of those who do are on this thread! Hope your work calms down a bit soon.

Thank you all for the good wishes. They worked! The new job's looking good. Nice people, lovely boss judging by day 1, and the work is familiar, doable stuff. There are showers, so a lunchtime run today, free yoga classes tomorrow. All good stuff apart from the killer hours. I'm shattered and I'm already at Finsbury Park.

Off to see Roger Waters at the O2 tonight having bought tickets months ago. God knows what state I'll be in tomorrow!
  • Yes I remember last year too hash and the drink in the car park afterwards image

Glad the job is good, you will really enjoy Roger Waters a mate went the other night said it was brilliant.

• Hello all,

Hash - job is sounding good so far.  Hope you get many lunch time runs in.  Had to Google Roger Waterimage, but have fun tonight.

Another weekend of no running, but we have a house that is ready for estate agents to value so hopefully the end is in sight for DIY for a few months.

Club tonight and I think I will join in the session of Kenyan Hills in the country park.

Good luck those running at Bedford.

Vik - have you set a date yet?

• What are Kenyan hills Suze?  I did 12 hill sprints this morning and 5.75 in total - hard but fun!!  It felt good to get back to some structured work but my glutes are caning me after all the gym/weights I have been doing the last 10 days and then those hills!!

Good luck tonight Rod!  I'm not doing any races for a bit - just keeping everything ticking over and focusing on getting hubby fit and little Pinks revising for exams so got my work cut out!! 

11 sleeps to go....................image 

• Pinks - I've no idea but I expect they are going to hurt.
  • Looks like Kim and Rod did well last night judging form their posts on FB.

6 miles covered last night including the Kenyan Hills session.  This was a 30 minute tempo run, going up and down a hill in the counrty park.

Mark - how is you leg?

• I had an ok run really 44.24 which is ok but with proper traing I should get better than that,it was a fairly humid night and although the course was flat it was hard work and there was some headwind to run into.

Still all in all I am happy, sounds like your session was fun Suze.

• Had an exciting week. The building next door, four or five foot from ours burnt down so not be allowed into work until this am. Near miss for our building and all our files etc.  It was a storage unit for a sugacane sweetshop so went up in a right blaze. You can see our office next door in these pictures.

http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news/local-news/police_probe_fire_at_sweet_factory_1_3392259

Good to see some of you are still running. My body is getting fat and unhealthy though the leg is healing up and the bruising is going down, though it feels like my calf muscle is just a piece of string. Its only three weeks on Sunday when I did it so time yet needed I fear to get it right. I am going to be starting from the bottom ladder of fitness again when I do start. Will take all my effort to get fit for the GNR at this rate..........

Sounds like you have a new busy life Hash all the best for that. Dont burn out with all this London highlife.

Good running Rod, Pinks and Suze keeping the thread fitness up!!! 

• Experience is a comb which nature gives us when we are  bald.image
  • Suppose that is why I have so much experience then Mark........
  • Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.....

Morning folks, got on my bike today and rode in nervously with the calf but I have landed.  Day one of recuperation. Cant imagine running for sometime yet.

Hope all are surviving the week, new jobs and all that...................work not good here due to changes and disruption in high up personnel. Crazy......but never mind............................everyone is out there running and working at the moment..........................

• good running Rod and Kim.  It was a bit windy which really doesn't help fast running or anything!

Patience Mark will pay in the end.  Is there nothing you can do cardio wise so that you don't lose all the fitness?  Boxing maybe?

All the experience must push the hair out from the inside image

11 weeks left for me so that is 8 weeks training and 3 week taper.  It really doesn't feel long enough image

www.bmycharity.com/lindarjones  imageimage

• Good idea Rio thanks and all the best for the training not long to go now. What length of Tri are you doing? Is it the Olympic length? How much training are you doing a day?  Dont know how you fit it all in well done.image
  • Mark its Ironman.  Am doing around 12.5hrs per week now and this will gradually go up to 18-20hours 4 weeks before.  It is hard fitting it in and means early mornings and early nights too!   But I work at home which makes is so much easier and from next week I have every Tuesday and Wednesday off as annual leave to be able to rest enough and do the longer or tougher sessions on these days.

It works out at about 3hrs swim     6.5hrs bike and 3 hrs run

• You must be up early doing that lot............RESPECT. Stay injury free at this stage as those tris cost alot of money to enter especially I would have thought that one you are doing. All the best for the training. Need to get off my backside and get up early and out on my bike during these summer months while I cant run at the moment.

• Its not too bad.  Last time I was up at 5:15 to be in the pool for 6 and in the office for 8.  Now I can get up at 5:45, walk dogs, swim or turbo and be sat at my desk for 8.  I don't know how I did it last time - though I did use my commute for training too.

If you can bike then so much the better because you will use muscles biking that you can use running - though it doesn't equate the other way.  Remember you need to bike 3x as long as you would have run for the same benefits.

And yes tri is a very expensive entry - plus then you have all the travel and hotel costs too as well as spending money image

• How is everyone? Mensal trail tunnels open now giving a continuous trail route of about 11 miles now, reckon I could organise a race on it now! Super views as you come out onto the mensal viaduct from the first tunnel. I will take some pics. Enjoy your weekend.
  • Sounds like the calf's on the mend then Mark?  Good stuff if so, hope you can finally chop the injury bench up into firewood.

Rio, huge respect from over here too, I can't begin to imagine doing an ironman, let alone devoting all that time to training for it.

6 sleeps Pinks?image

Suze, *shudder* at the thought of any hills, Kenyan or otherwise.  Living in the fens has lots of advantages!

Well done at Bedford Rod, I thought of you on Tuesday night whilst watching The Wall.  What a difference a year makes, eh?  The show was stunning, I honestly think I'll never forget it.

The new job's going to be good, I hope, although the hours and the commuting and the lack of me-time are hard to get used to.  The people are lovely which is the main thing.  God knows what my predecessor thought she was playing at, she's left a right mess behind with some of the thing's she's signed, so all in all I won't be bored trying to unravel it all.

Running is something I'm making myself find time for.  I managed 3 one lunchtime, 5 on the way to work on Thursday and off for another 10 in a minute.  It's waaaaay fewer miles than I'm used to, but then I'll just have to accept that there's only so much I can fit in

• Nice to see job going well hash!